Jake

Idle Thumbs 175: It's an Itchio

For D, a joke I wish I told on the podcast.  It is my favorite joke, bar none.

What do you call it when you open a soda for a friend in outer space?

An astro-fizz-assist. 

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh

:tup:

What's better than terrible jokes?

Bi-lingual terrible jokes!

A man walks into a Chinese deli and says "I'd like a Turkey sandwich, and do you have mustard to put on it?"

"Mayo."

HAHAHAHA. Kill me.

What's better than terrible jokes?

Bi-lingual terrible jokes!

A man walks into a Chinese deli and says "I'd like a Turkey sandwich, and do you have mustard to put on it?"

"Mayo."

HAHAHAHA. Kill me.

I can't decide if this is the best joke I've ever heard or the worst.

The bilingual dad joke has to be its own sub-category that exists.  It fits the pattern of Dad jokes perfectly.  Funny Dad draws some connection between the two languages that's hilarious to him, but just mystifying or sigh-worthy to everyone else. 

I hoped you'd show up, SecretAsianMan, because I know you speak some Mandarin from previous conversations, and I hoped somebody would get it. (And establish that I'm not just a madman.)

I hoped you'd show up, SecretAsianMan, because I know you speak some Mandarin from previous conversations, and I hoped somebody would get it. (And establish that I'm not just a madman.)

Oh I get the joke, but that doesn't necessarily disprove the notion that you're a madman.

For D, a joke I wish I told on the podcast.  It is my favorite joke, bar none.

What do you call it when you open a soda for a friend in outer space?

An astro-fizz-assist. 

Ahhhhhhhh! I love it! (that's totally going in the game)

Danielle, can you talk about Sunless Sea next time?  You teased it a couple of times, but then it never came back up.  I briefly got into Fallen London (before deciding that all it was going to accomplish was interrupting my work day), but I'm super curious to hear all the Thumbs talk about Sunless Sea. 

Gotta say I loved the Blades Trivia Quiz.

Shoutout to the Media blade, completely forgot about how I used to stream music to my bedroom on the 360 from the family PC. A little janky but it was cool at the time.

A Buddhist walks up to a hot dog cart. He says, "Make me one with everything."

He pays with a $20, but the seller returns nothing. The Buddhist asks, "Aren't you forgetting something?"

The seller replies, "Change comes only from within."

Sorry if this has been asked, but Danielle mentioned streaming games (and has in the past). Does she have a twitch or youtube channel?

Sorry if this has been asked, but Danielle mentioned streaming games (and has in the past). Does she have a twitch or youtube channel?

She's on Patricia Hernandez' channel. I think it is patriciaxhx on twitch. There's not really a schedule though afaik though one of them will usually make announcement on twitter.

The subject of the Diablo 2 gem that did nothing reminded me of how Rock Band 2 and 3 had something like that.  In Rock Band 2, there was a menu with toggles for modifiers to unlock all songs, or turn off the note UI, but the last one on the list was "Awesomeness Detection", with a small blurb that said something like "Lets Harmonix know that you are really awesome!"

People speculated about what it meant for a while.  Theories were crafted that it was something to tighten up the note detection windows, that it was an opt-in to send some sort of data back to Harmonix, that it was used in matchmaking to put people with Awesomeness Detection together, or that it did nothing but was a late UI replacement for the control that would have enabled the Jukebox Mode (a feature that had been mentioned before launch but didn't make it in the final game). Rock Band 3 launched and had the same Awesomeness Detection toggle in the setup screens.  People from Harmonix kinda egged it on, hinting that it had a real impact but that they weren't going to reveal what it did.

As it turns out, it was none of those, and was just something Dan Teasdale (lead designer on Rock Band 2 and 3) put in the game as a joke.  When he left Harmonix for Twisted Pixel, The Gunstringer ended up with an achievement that referred to it, and his next game Roundabout also has a toggle for Awesomeness Detection.

Danielle, can you talk about Sunless Sea next time?  You teased it a couple of times, but then it never came back up.  I briefly got into Fallen London (before deciding that all it was going to accomplish was interrupting my work day), but I'm super curious to hear all the Thumbs talk about Sunless Sea. 

Yes! I'll play some more this weekend and come prepared for the next episode!

Three people are having dinner with their father, talking about dad jokes. All of a sudden the dad goes, "I've only made three jokes in my life, and they're all sitting in front of me."

The bilingual dad joke has to be its own sub-category that exists.  It fits the pattern of Dad jokes perfectly.  Funny Dad draws some connection between the two languages that's hilarious to him, but just mystifying or sigh-worthy to everyone else.

I....uh....may be guilty of this one.

Jv3nal is correct - http://www.twitch.tv/patriciaxhx! Though, we do sometimes stream on other friends' channels when the 4chan threat level is high. We always tweet it out before streaming, if you're interested.

Once I heard you guys were doing SH4, I was in. Such a great, strange, interesting game.