Jake

Idle Thumbs 175: It's an Itchio

My friends used to make dad jokes all the time, but we didn't know to call them dad jokes. 

"What does Captain Hook do when he's angry? Beat Smee!" Is the only one I can distinctly remember because it is so awful.

And hey, I'm noticing a trend of "Oh we'll save that boardgame discussion for next week" and then not discussing it the next week. Clearly biased against cardboard.

WHAT IS BROWN AND STICKY

A STICK

well that's just a pun but if i'm ever a dad you can bet your bottom dollar i will make that joke to literally all of my child's friends at every single opportunity

For those checking out Terror Aboard the Speedwell, the author (or at least one of them) has a previous Twine piece on itchio called You Were Made for Loneliness that's worth a look as well. Theoretically it's in the same setting, although there's apparently not a huge amount of connection between the two.

Edit: I guess YWMFL is also a multi-author piece. I suppose not surprising, as there are a lot of quite varied (though all centered on a common theme) secondary text pieces buried in the "main" plot, some of them quite lengthy and that would have been a pretty big task to take on as one person.

You all are humour terrorists and should be pun-ished to the full extent of the law.

(I never said Curtain was a good book. I don't think it is from what I've been told -- I haven't read it -- but I enjoyed the TV adaptation.)

I've been enjoying Desert Golfing a lot recently, and seeing people discussing it on Twitter has definitely helped that enjoyment. I kind of wish I'd reached hole 500 before hearing about it in the podcast, but that's my own fault for being lax, I guess (And also I had a bug that forced me to clear my save data and lose about 180 holes of progress). Regarding the way the game generates its holes, the game's creator Justin Smith (Who also made Realistic Summer Sports Simulator and the amazing So Long, Oregon!) replied to a conversation between Douglas Wilson and Bennett Foddy on Twitter to confirm that the generation of the levels was procedural, but that every player gets the same set of holes. He also said that it was statistically going to generate an impossible hole eventually, which was thought to be hole 2866. Until the first guy to reach it realised that you could bounce the ball off some offscreen scenery! Basically Desert Golfing is fascinating.

And hey, I'm noticing a trend of "Oh we'll save that boardgame discussion for next week" and then not discussing it the next week. Clearly biased against cardboard.

I'm still waiting for Danielle's opinions on Sunless Sea!

You all are humour terrorists and should be pun-ished to the full extent of the lawl.

Sentenced to life in the state punitentiary

WHAT IS BROWN AND STICKY

A STICK

well that's just a pun but if i'm ever a dad you can bet your bottom dollar i will make that joke to literally all of my child's friends at every single opportunity

Can I use this one in my dumb game too? This thread is full of GOLD!

My dad still does this thing where when the family goes out to the restaurant and the hostess asks how many, he'll hold up his fingers to show like 7 people and say "four." Then there's usually just a bunch of genuine confusion with the hostess not knowing what to write (or possibly how to count fingers) and no one laughs except him.

I don't like this joke, it's not particularly clever and it serves as more of a vehicle for my sister and I to bond with a look that says, "God damn it, Dad."

Sentenced to life in the state punitentiary

For that you are awarded with David Caruso's Golden Sunglasses.

(•_•) 

( •_•)>- 

(_)

I don't like this joke, it's not particularly clever and it serves as more of a vehicle for my sister and I to bond with a look that says, "God damn it, Dad."

Such is the nature of a dad joke.

My dad still does this thing where when the family goes out to the restaurant and the hostess asks how many, he'll hold up his fingers to show like 7 people and say "four." Then there's usually just a bunch of genuine confusion with the hostess not knowing what to write (or possibly how to count fingers) and no one laughs except him.

https://mobile.twitter.com/mallelis/status/468854533041684481

I suspect Danielle hasn't been told what's brown and rhymes with snoop.

it's Dr. Dre

Can I use this one in my dumb game too? This thread is full of GOLD!

YES!

I don't know if your joke format works with ones that require an initial response, but I'll throw this one out anyway:

- Do you want to hear a joke about ghosts?

- Sure!

- That the spirit!

My favourite dumb joke is a knock-knock joke. Someone start.

My favourite dumb joke is a knock-knock joke. Someone start.

I'm not falling for that one!

For D, a joke I wish I told on the podcast.  It is my favorite joke, bar none.

What do you call it when you open a soda for a friend in outer space?

An astro-fizz-assist. 

It suddenly strikes me how disappointed I am Jake didn't do his pig noise when the pig joke was made.