Sign in to follow this  
syntheticgerbil

Shaving My Thumbs

I have an Edwin Jagger safety razor. I shave every other day, and replace the blade weekly. It came with some Derby blades, of which I'm not terribly fond. I think my roommate and I are gonna go halfers on a blade variety pack so we can try a few different brands.

Personally, I like Feathers (relatively expensive) and Astra Platinums.

I really like shaving with a safety razor but I will say it takes way longer. Gotta whip up shaving cream, it takes multiple passes to get a really close shave, and you can't just mindlessly drag the razor across your face. On the bright side though, I can get a way better/closer shave with less irritation, even the expensive blades are cheap compared to Mach 3s, and there are all sorts of fancy shaving creams out there that are awesome.

Alternate thread title: "By the Pricking of My Thumbs, Something Schick-ed This Way Comes."

I have nothing else to contribute here.

I have a beard for the first time in my life this year.I use a $15 electric trimmer (that I also use to cut my hair), and then for razors I use the ones from Dollar Shave Club.

So yes I use disposable razors, but I pay $6 every other month for them. I've been using them for years. They're not as good as the Gillette Fusion but they sure are like 90% cheaper!

https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/

Yes I'm a sucker for advertising why do you ask?

I use a cheap as chips beard trimmer without the plastic height guard, trim the beard down to about 0.5mm of stubble and enjoy the designer stubble look throughout the week until it start to look a bit trampy then trim again.

I use a 3 year old blunt as all hell gillette mach 3 wet shaver on my cock, balls, armpits, nipples and anus, and not strictly in that order. Although i'm a little scared as i've just purchased a load of new razor heads as the 3 year old blunt as all hell razor head was taking me up to 5 minutes per pit. Going near my family jewels with a brand new razor sounds like a recipe for disaster so if i mysteriously disappear from the forums some time in the next month its probably because i nicked the main vein and bleed out in my bath tub.

Lets take this thread to the next level

I use a cheap as chips beard trimmer without the plastic height guard, trim the beard down to about 0.5mm of stubble and enjoy the designer stubble look throughout the week until it start to look a bit trampy then trim again.

I do the exactly the same thing with exactly the same kind of beard trimmer.

I use electric shavers and I love them.  I'm on my third one now and I've never had a problem with any of them.  The first I gave to my father because he wanted one and liked the one I was using at the time.  The second one I broke while moving.  The third I've been using for a few years now with no trouble.  Cleaning it is easy, I just open up the head, dump out anything in it, then rinse it off with water and let it dry.  I only have to charge it every few weeks and I have yet to replace the blades despite having a spare set because I just haven't felt the need to.  I mostly like how quick and easy it is.  I need zero preparation and it only takes a few minutes to do, including clean up.  I should mention that I don't have very much facial hair and only shave about once a week.

What brand do you use, SAM?

There's a company called Harry's that apparently makes super great razors and you can have them send a bunch of samples to your house free of charge to try out before you purchase.

I couldn't really find the free samples. Is it offered to you when choosing one of the subscriptions?

And you guys can discuss trimming your ballanuses now, because now I have more than enough info and options it seems. I won't be shaving my ballanus however.

I've never liked shaving. It's always uncomfortable, sometimes straight up painful, and there's a good chance there will be blood.(This of course has lead to a personal policy of never letting a razor go near anything other than my face...)

I've tried several different types of razors, including different electric ones, and while I will admit the electric were much quicker if I was just keeping my shaved face in line, they never felt like they got a nice clean shave, and some models felt like they were just pulling hairs out.

This all lead to me growing out a big thick beard through high school and college, and eventually shaving it off when looking for work in an attempt to look more presentable. ...I miss my beard.

I use a 3 year old blunt as all hell gillette mach 3 wet shaver on my cock, balls, armpits, nipples and anus, and not strictly in that order. Although i'm a little scared as i've just purchased a load of new razor heads as the 3 year old blunt as all hell razor head was taking me up to 5 minutes per pit. Going near my family jewels with a brand new razor sounds like a recipe for disaster so if i mysteriously disappear from the forums some time in the next month its probably because i nicked the main vein and bleed out in my bath tub.

Lets take this thread to the next level

How was this not an eek post?

Fiancee got me a "fixed head razor" (the blade goes between the two leftmost parts) for my birthday a couple of years ago and I've NEVER looked back.

It's only one blade, one is truly all you need, and you just buy bulk razor blades (about 10 to a $1 pack). The blades last a LONG time since water (and the rust it causes) accounts for almost all of blades getting dull and it dries quickly. I get a SUPER close shave with it and still haven't run through my second pack of blades.

What brand do you use, SAM?

I forget what the first one was, the second was a Braun which was probably the most expensive yet my least favorite of the three, and I'm currently using a Norelco which thus far has been the best one.

I do wish I could grow an actual beard out, but my facial hair is rather sparse.  The one time I did try I quickly abandoned it because it became evident that my hair would actually grow out in a Fu Manchu style and I would turn into a walking parody of Chinese stereotypes.

I've used (disposable) Gillette Blue 3 for 15 years after experimenting with other stuff. Electric shavers never seemed to work for me. I'm often too lazy to shave and let the beard grow for weeks or months without any care, then shave it off again. In that case I use scissors to cut it shorter before going for the razors. Almost any shaving cream seems to work for me, though I haven't tried a lot of different ones.

The fact that the double-take inducing posts in this thread are from Mington tells me one thing: ZeusTheCat does not shave.

I scrape my face under the shower with the same gilette MachX (forget the number) for months on end with no problems. Least fuss, soonest mended.

My wife nixed any attempts at facial hair, probably rightly so.

I also shave in the shower, unless I'm in a rush. Always with shaving foam though.

I shave against the grain on the moustache area, and with the grain everywhere else. Cheap as fuck bic razors last me months if I shave 3 times a week. I don't have much hair though...

I'm glad I keep a beard, I just buy a cheapo $20 beard trimmer every 5 or so year and trim my beard back down every 2 months or so or it starts looking a bit weird. I don't have the patience to get it passed the 2/3 month hump. 

The title of this thread reminds me of the time I put my thumb on a sander to try to remove my finger prints

6 hours ago, eot said:

The title of this thread reminds me of the time I put my thumb on a sander to try to remove my finger prints

...why?