Sign in to follow this  
syntheticgerbil

Shaving My Thumbs

Hey beardies, how do you shave your face with the cheapest and most efficient equipment? I absolutely hate shaving and I hate paying for razors as well. I don't think my facial hair is especially thick but it seems to grow quickly and after not shaving for nearly two weeks, I remembered to do it today and went through about three of the cheapo disposable razors in one go. I was super frustrated because it seems so wasteful and I think that's maybe a new record.

I used to use the Gilette Fusion razors with the replaceable blades because they send you a free one in the mail when you're 17, but I started realizing those fucking replacement blades were a god damn rip off. $20 or whatever for a three pack is insane when I could only get three or four full shaves from each cartridge until I had to throw it away.

So a few years ago I switched to disposable Gilette razors after doing some not incredibly in depth research about this and reading a recommendation for the Gilette Custom Plus 3, I got a 12 pack of those on Amazon for about $18 every few months. They seemed to be good for about two full shaves each, which isn't the worst, but seems like a better value than the Fusion cartridges.

But about 2 months ago I couldn't renew my Amazon order for the Custom Plus 3 because the page listing was no longer available so I tried a 30 pack of Sensor 2 Plus for $25, the aforementioned razor where I had to kill two to finish off this unruly beardedness. Won't be doing that one again.

So is acquiring bulk packs the Custom Plus 3 over and over my best bet at spending on my face or is that kind of wrong? I feel stupid constantly throwing away hunks of plastic with blades on the end, but this idea of Fusion cartridges that last forever and are amazing on your face are a fairy tale. Is that just how blades work unless I buy a huge blade like a barber in a silent film? My wife thinks I will slice my face open if I do that. I most likely will. I also don't use shaving cream as I've never really found the stuff makes a major difference and instead seems to create a gross mess.

What about those doofy looking electric razors that have circles like alien devices? Those just seemed like a waste of money but also too much work recharging and keeping track of parts, cleaning and such. But if they save more money in the long run and are effective, maybe that's a good way to go.

Bonus question, what's the best way to not get all my beard hairs in the sink so that I don't have to also buy Liquid Plumber every half year?

I also don't use shaving cream. I use soap while in the shower!

Do you normally only shave every two weeks or so? If so, that might be why you get through razors so quickly. I've been on the same blades with my bog-standard Gillette Mach 3 for about a year, but I shave every two to three days usually. If you want to let it grow out and only clear it occasionally, perhaps it would be better to get some electric trimmers?

Either way, I wouldn't recommend sticking with disposable razors, they're a false economy.

This thread's title is alarming.

I use the step down razor from The Sweethome's Electric Razor Guide, the Panasonic Arc3 - http://thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-electric-razor/

I've only had it for a few months, but I like it a lot. It works quite well both wet and dry, though wet is obviously better because I can use it in the shower to minimize mess. I also got it on sale for $60, so it's sure to be cheaper than disposables in no time. It has a setting where it goes at a really high RPM to shake off any hair that may be stuck in it, so cleaning is pretty easy too.

Might be an old husband's tale, but I remember reading somewhere that stroking the blade along denim creates a similar effect to using a strop, allowing you to use a blade for much longer.

(Can't confirm as I only trim my beard, not shave it.)

I trim my beard using a comb for length and running an electric trimmer along it, then sculpt the bottom using a Gillette Fusion. As I'm only shaving my lower neck every few days, one blade lasts a couple of weeks.

Also, for god's sake man, get some shaving cream. If you're not having results with one, try another. I would break out every single time I shaved until I went to Lush and got some of this. It completely changed the quality of my shaves, and I eventually started switching every single thing in my bathroom over to their products (they are staunchly anti-animal testing as well, and I'd been looking to get a more ethical bathroom). I don't know if they operate outside Canada, but I'd recommend them if they're around for you. If not, find something similar that works. It'll make shaving easier on the blades as well.

THIS IS INSANE

I don't know I just started one day in my late teens when I had no shaving cream and could not buy any, didn't see any issue and just went with it since. Maybe my skin is super oily garbage so it doesn't matter.

Do you normally only shave every two weeks or so? If so, that might be why you get through razors so quickly. I've been on the same blades with my bog-standard Gillette Mach 3 for about a year, but I shave every two to three days usually. If you want to let it grow out and only clear it occasionally, perhaps it would be better to get some electric trimmers?

Usually two to three times a week. But I do sometimes rotate a little bit with what the facial hair looks like, so sometimes there's a large amount cut off at once. If I have a job interview or something where I have to look sort of nice, I cut my sideburns very short. That might make a lot of sense if you are getting a half a god damn year.

Also, for god's sake man, get some shaving cream. If you're not having results with one, try another. I would break out every single time I shaved until I went to Lush and got some of this. It completely changed the quality of my shaves, and I eventually started switching every single thing in my bathroom over to their products (they are staunchly anti-animal testing as well, and I'd been looking to get a more ethical bathroom). I don't know if they operate outside Canada, but I'd recommend them if they're around for you. If not, find something similar that works. It'll make shaving easier on the blades as well.

Is that mainly what shaving cream is for? To reduce irritation? Redness seems to go away after a few hours. I should also note that I don't go in dry shaving, I rinse my face with warm water first and also run the razor under warm water as well.

I think Jon Cole may have sold me on that electric razor, I have it on my Amazon wishlist and I suppose I will have to watch for price drops. Although maybe inform me if it doesn't work out so great in the next year or so.

Jon Cole, sell me this pen.

I also don't use shaving cream. I use soap while in the shower!

That's mostly what I do.  At this point, I've got a mustache, goatee and near mutton chop sized sideburns.  So I just need to shave my neck and the strip between my side burns and beard.  Shower shaving isn't usually as precise, but working from home it's not like I need to be perfectly presentable every day.  Usually on the weekends or if I've got a meeting or something, I'll take the time to even everything up in front of a mirror. 

Stop shaving and you never have to worry about it again! 

yup, i use a beard trimmer w/o the attachment to do my neck and keep from getting unruly every few days.  

but im awful to get advice about shaving from.  i havent been clean shaven in 4-5 yrs now (guard slipped, bye bye beard) and had to have been 2003 before that.  

i dont know if ive ever even used a razor...i always had one of those electric jobbers from my first mustache in grade 6 (borrowed fathers until needed it regularly)

I only use the trimming side of an eletric razor once a week to trim it down. No close shaves for me.

Erm... I mean I use a very sharp hunting knife and nothing else. Very manly!

I tried to find ways to shave without destroying my face for years. Spent a lot of money, didn't find anything. I'm doomed to a beard.

I actually can't even grow a good beard, I have like three bald spots that are half an inch or less that just throw the whole thing off if I were to decide to go full facial bee man beard. Kind of like Robin Williams in The Fisher King, although he's way hairer. Also it's easier to see the bald spots if you watch the movie because I can't find a good screenshot with nice resolution.

RW%2BFisher%2BKing.png

I'm also not allowed to have a premeditated mustache because then it apparently hurts to kiss me.

I just use some razor with those clip on plastic cartriges with blades in them, except I keep them around for way too long so I don't have to buy that many replacement ones. I never quite understood why some people make shaving so complicated but maybe I should look into those safety razor things.

As for my thumbs, I once tried filing off my fingerprint using some woodworking equipment in school, but it didn't work. Only made my fingers hurt for a few days.

I trim my beard using a comb for length and running an electric trimmer along it, then sculpt the bottom using a Gillette Fusion. As I'm only shaving my lower neck every few days, one blade lasts a couple of weeks.

Huh. Am I the only person who uses their blade for months on end? What's the sign that its tie to change blade(s)?

Huh. Am I the only person who uses their blade for months on end? What's the sign that its tie to change blade(s)?

Blood, pain, suffering?

Hmm, well, I get none of those. Perhaps if I try a new blade I'll realise that I've been taking twice as long as I should be because of bluntness, or something...

I bleed even with a brand new blade. Super sensitive, I suppose, which is why finding good shaving cream was so important for me. When I'm bleeding A LOT, I switch blades.

Have a look at a Double Edge razor, blades are cheap and seem to be much sharper than the Gilettes. It needs a little more technique but i have found the results much better than the giant plastic razors.

Pretty cheap to pick up a starter kit - http://www.maggardrazors.com/product/budget-starter-kit/

This is what I was going to recommend, down to the same link. DE safety razors are great.

I use electric shavers and I love them.  I'm on my third one now and I've never had a problem with any of them.  The first I gave to my father because he wanted one and liked the one I was using at the time.  The second one I broke while moving.  The third I've been using for a few years now with no trouble.  Cleaning it is easy, I just open up the head, dump out anything in it, then rinse it off with water and let it dry.  I only have to charge it every few weeks and I have yet to replace the blades despite having a spare set because I just haven't felt the need to.  I mostly like how quick and easy it is.  I need zero preparation and it only takes a few minutes to do, including clean up.  I should mention that I don't have very much facial hair and only shave about once a week.

I have an Edwin Jagger safety razor. I shave every other day, and replace the blade weekly. It came with some Derby blades, of which I'm not terribly fond. I think my roommate and I are gonna go halfers on a blade variety pack so we can try a few different brands.

There's a company called Harry's that apparently makes super great razors and you can have them send a bunch of samples to your house free of charge to try out before you purchase.

I myself use a Braun Cruzer5 electric razor, mostly because it comes with a trimming bit. I sport a beard in daily life but I'm not so much into the wild hobo look, so it's nice to be able to have it snip off about half of what's there instead of everything. If you do have a vendetta against beards it's maybe not the best razor to shave cleanly with, although it doesn't disappoint imo. I think it was about $60? I've been using it for several years now, just rinse it off under the tap and maybe drop some oil on the blades every month or so and you're good to go. Charges pretty fast too. I think you can buy new blades for it too but I usually just end up buying the new version after a few years.