clyde

Share short games you enjoy that require no fee.

Carte by Barnaque

wPs2gh.png

I'm a fan of Barnaque's work, but I hadn't played this one until I happened upon it this morning. It was its' compatibility with ShareCart1000 that peaked my interest. 

Barnaque tends to make brutally difficult collision avoidance games that are populated with sharp, flat assymetrical abstract sprites. I typically enjoy the abstract sprites more than meeting the requirements of dexterity. But I gave it a little time and I didn't die immediately. Suddenly, the game began to unfold into an exploratory  puzzle-game. An hour later I finished it and I'm just struck by how this game managed to engage me. 

Froggy: Backstage Q and A

105139.jpg

Y'all, I played this on a whim this morning and it has led me on a path I've been exploring all day. If you enjoy ARG-style shit, you should really check this out and poke around.

Glorious Trainwrecks is in a Knytt Stories phase, so I'm playing a good amount of user-created levels while I try to figure out how to express myself with platformers. I kept seeing people on the internet recommend one called Don't Eat the Mushroom and I just now played it. It was both innovative and joyful. I recommend it.

I've attached a gif to show y'all how to install custom levels.

-Basically you want to download Knytt Stories from here.

-Then download Don't Eat the Mushroom from here.

-Then do this:

hKl5Rer.gif

If you end up wanting to try your own hand at making a level here is a good guide that can get you started. Make sure you tell me if you make one! (or just submit it on Glorious Trainwrecks).

The thing I like about making Knytt games is that most of my time is spent just flipping through beautiful tile-sheets and trying out combinations of them. It's like trying to match wall-paper and curtains.

Crows Crows Crows (the studio started by William Pugh of The Stanley Parable fame) just put out a free TWINE game called The Temple of No. It's pretty neat. Also the illustrations by Dominik Johann are delightful.

ToN2.jpg

Zen and the Art of Transhumanism by Deconstructeam

the folks who made "Gods Will Be Watching" created this 'pottery game' where you install upgrades into humans. the writing is predictable, but the tactile experience of spinning the wheel, shaping the digital clay, sliding the buttons up and down to turn on music and choose designs is so incredibly good. the art and music are nice as well.

I enjoyed The Temple of No. The illustrations were wonderful. Also I think it would be a good idea if we all

recorded our rendition of the jungle song because mine was pretty good and I could do better.

I also played all the way through Zen and the Art of Transhumanism. I would sometimes go for the more nihilistic solutions before giving the clients what they thought they wanted. I guess they had to see how unsatisfactory their particular versions of success would be for themselves. It was such an original mechanic and I found myself enjoying it initially and becoming surprisingly fast at making modules which was satisfying on its own.

I played the demo of Mana Spark and I would recommend having a look. It's a top-down roguelite, somewhat reminiscent of Hammerwatch and Titan Souls. There's no class system as such: you're always equipped with a bow and you can roll, and it's the items you find that determine what extra skills you'll have.

The website boasts of a unique AI system which means different types of enemies will work together to kill you (indicated in game by a grey strip joining them together) but in my playthrough I only saw one example of this. It's an idea with potential, nevertheless. My main gripe with it is that it's a bit easy. Bearing in mind it's a demo, there aren't many enemy types, only one type of dungeon, and I got through it with ease. Still, it is possible I just got lucky with my item drops?

Give it a go if you've got half an hour.

On 9/14/2014 at 11:50 AM, tegan said:

So about twelve years ago, Lego produced a very short-lived robotics line called "Spybotics" where you could build and program little remote-controlled robots and send them on missions. The website for the Spybotics line included a flash game that was, inexplicably, both virtually unrelated to the toyline and incredibly good. It was called...

BVZiKWD.jpg

Oh hey, THIS game. I have a story about this game.

So, back in third grade, I would play Spybot every day during recess in the computer lab. And it wasn't just me, actually, there were about ten to twenty people who would also play on their specific computers, which had their personal saves. This game gets really hard towards the end, and I was the only person who had managed to unlock the final boss, though it took almost the entire year to get there. Everyone else had yet to beat the level that unlocks the final boss, and despite my best attempts, I couldn't repeat my victory on another person's save. However, I would never wind up finishing the game. I had to move. Three weeks before the end of term, I had to leave, so shortly after unlocking it. So, on the last day, I said goodbye to my save file, and officially bequeathed it to a friend of mine, because I didn't want the beaten penultimate level to go to waste.

I never spoke to him again, and really hope that he managed it within the following three weeks.

Edited by Smurfton
Cleaning up