Salka

Girl tells Guy: Fable is shit. Navigating our game world is a bitch.

Girl: “Wow, running around in our game fucking sucks.”

Guy: “What if you could just teleport wherever you wanted to go?”

Girl: “That doesn’t solve the underlying problem. Shouldn’t we instead address the fact that navigating our game world is a bitch?”

Guy: “We should have sex.”

An imaginary conversation between two imaginary employees of the company that made Fable that I can't think of the name of, as presented by Gabe.

Okay, I know it seems niggly and stuff to point this out, but I'd like to point out that the girl is the one pointing out the 'game fucking sucks'.

Too bad it's an imaginary conversation.

I don't know. I can't quite put my finger on it. It feels odd and almost out of place that Gabe has put a female in the role of the better game designer in this post. And it shouldn't, but it does. Even in my own imagined conversations, I don't picture a female in the role of the one pointing out design faults. Not that it's something I try to imagine on a daily basis, but still.

*sigh*. Like I said, I can't quite put my finger on why I'm even posting this, but it just tugged a heart string. I do wish more game sites and whatnot would acknowledge females a little more. I do sometimes feel a little out of place as a gamer, and it's nice to have people like Gabe offhandedly mention girl designers/whatever in posts like that as though it's the most natural thing in the world.

Don't get me wrong. It's not like I actively mind going on to sites like PA and rarely having females mentioned at all. My point is, it's nice when they are mentioned.

I don't know what I'm trying to say. Maybe somebody else can figure it out for me. It was just nice.

Once you've figured out what I'm trying to say, I think Idle Thumbs should try to acknowledge female gamers a bit more. Not in an obvious, forced, false kind of fashion. Articles written by girls would be nice. Maybe female opinions on the games you review. Or something. Whatever. Do what Penny Arcade does, and fake conversations between girls and guys!

I know it's hard because naturally, since most gamers are guys, and you're catering for gamers... but still.

EDIT: Now I've just gone and added that suggestion on the end of the thread after I initially posted it, it's rendered it 'wrong forum material'. Go team ME!

I don't know, that conversation seems to fit in perfectly well in Stereotypeworld to me. Aren't all girls level headed and rational or something, and all guys pigheaded jerks who hate to be told they're wrong, especially when it comes to things they've made? That's obviously never the case with anything, but "creatively" I thought that's vaguely how the stereotype went.

Not to mention, it gave heterosexual Gabe an excuse to make them have sex. Plus it would have been kind of odd to consciously bring a girl into the equation just to have her be the "wrong" one.

Hey! What was that little 'popping' sound? Could it have been... a bubble?

Thanks Chris!!!

Aren't all girls level headed and rational or something, and all guys pigheaded jerks who hate to be told they're wrong, especially when it comes to things they've made? That's obviously never the case with anything, but "creatively" I thought that's vaguely how the stereotype went.

No. Well, they're supposed to be. Yeah. But my point was just that it's nice to have a girl mentioned up there, be it wrong or right. And let's face it, you guys never do have female opinions on games and stuff.

Probably because you can't actually FIND any girl that played the games you're reviewing, but still.

One day, women will thank you for it. Does that excite you?

Thanks Chris!!!

Any time. (What did I say wrong exactly?)

No. Well, they're supposed to be. Yeah. But my point was just that it's nice to have a girl mentioned up there, be it wrong or right. And let's face it, you guys never do have female opinions on games and stuff.

Probably because you can't actually FIND any girl that played the games you're reviewing, but still.

If women sent us second opinions or reviews and they are worth publishing I'm sure we would publish them.

Of course, nothing a woman writes would be worth publishing, so, problem solved! Score one for the men!!!!!!!!! :mrt::mrt::mrt::mrt::mrt:

Thanks Chris!!!

One day, women will thank you for it. Does that excite you?

I think we should have sex. :shroom::naughty::innocent::yep::kiss::finger::tup::P:gaming::rolleyes::woohoo::rolleyes:

I think we should solve the underlying problem here, which is that girls are stupid.

If women sent us second opinions or reviews and they are worth publishing I'm sure we would publish them.

Yeah, no, yeah. No, I know that. Jeez, what do you think I take you guys for?

Um, Rusalka, didn't Kingz ask you a while back to write some kind article/rantatorial/whatever on being a girl gamer? And wasn't it you who never followed up on it or something?

Shhh.

I think we should have sex.

Awesome contribution!

I just, mean, well. There's me, and there's Emma, and there's... wasn't there another girl here, sometime? Alia or something. We make up .003% of your reader base, probably. And don't get me wrong because I don't care that there are never female opinions or whatnot because I understand that you don't actually get any.

But it would be nice if you could get some.

I'm not being whiny or anything. Well, I am, but that's because I have to walk two and a half miles into a crappy village to catch a crap bus to crap work because the crap car doesn't crapping work any more. I'm just making a suggestion. Idle Thumbs is awesome, and I think maybe you guys are thinking I'm saying that you're not or something. If you looked for a couple of second opinions from girls or whatever, it would be a little bit of effort that would go a long way, and help you stand out from other sites.

On a related note: wow, Fable sure got bashed there by Gabe. That means I can almost initiate a healthy dose of biased trolling towards Lionhead. Ah, life is good :sombrero:

If you're looking for the 0,0001% of female opinions represented on Idle Thumbs, look no further than our BG&E review. :tup:

Oh ummm, Yufster, please don't keep posting game-relevant topics in idle banter. :deranged:

If you're looking for the 0,0001% of female opinions represented on Idle Thumbs, look no further than our BG&E review. :deranged:

Or you could have surgery and become Maureenek or Mellisak.

--Erwin

Or you could have surgery and become Maureenek or Mellisak.

--Erwin

Mellisak! Awesome!

Okay, I know it seems niggly and stuff to point this out, but I'd like to point out that the girl is the one pointing out the 'game fucking sucks'.

Because the guy is the one saying they should have sex

I do see where you're coming from, but ever since coming to both these and the AG forums, I've always felt that there is a very, family esque atmosphere. Sounds strange, but you all seem to treat each other as equals, and it all seems cohesive, ya know?

Maybe you could write out an article, and ask the staff if they would put it up, about something important to you, or review a game perhaps?

If this troubles you, perhaps it's something you should start the ball rolling with. :).

There is certainly a bigger percentage of girl gamers now, than there ever was before, which is great! I always love new people getting into things you've enjoyed. It's exciting, because you can introduce them to things that you like, and they can share the same experiences you've had, and you can trade stories and talk about each other's favorite moments. That's why I love these forums, because if I've played a game, and I want to offer my commentary, someone here will have probably played the same game, and we can discuss things about it, and at the same time, introduce people to a new game.

Oh ummm, Yufster, please don't keep posting game-relevant topics in idle banter.

Yeah, sorry. Originally it wasn't really relevant to the gaming forum, so I posted it in Idle Banter. But then I had some afterthoughts and added bits to it, so it became... non-Idle Banter material.

but you all seem to treat each other as equals

We do, yeah. I'm not saying we don't.

Deadworm, why don't you decide if you really want to say something before you say it instead of deleting every other post?

That's a marvellously ingenious idea.

EDIT: And this post isn't going anywhere either.

Unlike it's predecessor.

Yeah. You might as well delete it. ;)

--Erwin

That's a marvellously ingenious idea.

EDIT: And this post isn't going anywhere either.

Unlike it's predecessor.

I'm going to strangle you one of these days.

Deadworm, why don't you decide if you really want to say something before you say it instead of deleting every other post?
Seconded.