Jake

Idle Thumbs 174: Live from the Metropolitan Ballroom

Due Process is a neat looking game.  There are some mechanics in it that I really like.  I just really hope they're careful in how the final product turns out.  I hope it maintains the sort of light tone that it has now.

"Thanks to an exciting new sponsorship deal, Giant Enemy Crab is proud to present the recently re-branded 'Dew Process'"

For some reason, my brain farted and I went from thinking (sequentially)

1) Far Cry 4 has animal fights gameplay, and Ubi are showing that at pax

2) It's not real animals, NPCs are fighting in animal suits

3) They actually paid people to have fights for the public on the show floor?

4) Oh no, it was attendees fighting for a ps4 (as finally explained clearly)

lol.

Hahaha I think I had a similar thought chain. I loved the description of moving through poisonous gas in some SNES era RPG. That Ubisoft thing reinforced that I'm not sure I could handle going to video game conventions.

Chris, in my tired mind that morning, the less weird thing was to say hi from behind you compared to your seeing my Idle Thumbs shirt as I walked on the bus. Anyway.

I've always felt a bit strange meeting people who I've heard a lot (podcasts, video) but who obviously don't knoe me. The only reason I felt OK asking Tim Schafer to autograph my Grim Fandango poster was that someone else already asked right before.

It was really fun to see your dynamics live on stage. It was fantastic seeing and not just hearing everyone getting exasperated at Jake.

It was fantastic seeing and not just hearing everyone getting exasperated at Jake.

Haha this is a good highlight to walk away with. Approved.

Props to everyone for resisting the urge to make a joke about Michael Crichton's Balls.

I've always felt a bit strange meeting people who I've heard a lot (podcasts, video) but who obviously don't knoe me. The only reason I felt OK asking Tim Schafer to autograph my Grim Fandango poster was that someone else already asked right before.

I got to meet Kate Leth at a convention earlier this year and asked her to autograph some comics for me. It was one of the most nerve-wracking things I've ever done.

Firewatch will do stuff Gone Home hasn't done.

Ghosts: confirmed.

I hope this subject isn't taboo at this point.

Firewatch will do stuff Gone Home hasn't done.

Firewatch does what Gonehomedon't.

I appreciate that you guys have the sort of readers that might be genuinely confused that there was anything controversial in last week's episode.

I was kinda bummed Sean never said anything about how HotS(LoMa) was. Someone let me know it's bad so I can stop wanting to try it!

It's gross that I've listened to the last PAX episode (Pegasus Launch) so much that I realize that some of the same people ask questions in this one. 

I wish boardgames would come on the cast more. 

Welltris was a pretty deep cut.  it was actually my first introduction to a Tetris game on our first 286, it wasnt until a demo cartridge containing the counter-norm Atari version of Tetris on the NES that i figured out it should be a top down game (officially named TETЯIS: The Soviet Mind Game)

Welltris was my first brush with Tetris as well, being an Atari gamer growing up, and not having played a Tetris bootleg. It was not a good game. I just got my block-matching fix from Klax.

I appreciate that you guys have the sort of readers that might be genuinely confused that there was anything controversial in last week's episode.

I came on to this thread to say exactly the same thing.

Loved it as always, hopefully one day I can park my arse on a seat and actually be there.

My wife, barely able to hear the podcast from another room, walks in and says to me: "Why did Idle Thumbs add a laugh track to the podcast?"

This is an excellent idea when Chris Remo has more time to edit the podcast, a return to the Monty Python stuff of yore.

highlight of the episode was sean saying "fuuuuuck yoooouuuu" to the guy ignorantly saying firewatch looks just like gone home. no apology required sean, honestly. that was perfect

It looks like the Duke is on preorder - is it new? Sounds pretty cool, but I'd like to take a look at it...

It looks like the Duke is on preorder - is it new? Sounds pretty cool, but I'd like to take a look at it...

It's been out for at least a couple years (and even has an Arthurian-themed expansion). Maybe it was out of print until recently?

It's been out for at least a couple years (and even has an Arthurian-themed expansion). Maybe it was out of print until recently?

I think it's been more like a year and a half and yeah, it's been out of print for a while. That's probably because it was a Kickstarter game, which means that it's tough to get print runs going consistently. Also because it's a Kickstarter game, it not only has an Arthurian expansion, but a Robin Hood one, a Robert E. Howard one, a Three Musketeers one and several that aren't specifically themed but add new mechanics. I haven't tried any of them though: the base game is plenty.

Conveniently, the publisher has the entirety of the game available for print and play on their website. It would probably be a hassle to play that way - lots of gluing paper to cardboard - but you can check it out before buying it if you want.

I think it's been more like a year and a half and yeah, it's been out of print for a while. That's probably because it was a Kickstarter game, which means that it's tough to get print runs going consistently. Also because it's a Kickstarter game, it not only has an Arthurian expansion, but a Robin Hood one, a Robert E. Howard one, a Three Musketeers one and several that aren't specifically themed but add new mechanics. I haven't tried any of them though: the base game is plenty.

Am I the only person who gets exponentially more fatigued the more expansions exist for a game that's already good just out of the box? I am like ninety percent less likely to play The Duke now, it's reaching Arkham Horror territory.

Arkham Horror has nothing on Carcassonne.