577__header.jpg

Ridonkulous Rift

I heard that social justice war has changed

But I'd always heard social justice war never changes

In the end it doesn't matter anyway

Because this is the dawning of a brand new day

Where it doesn't matter what you've heard

Cause I'm the social justice wizard

Things Discussed: Alien: Isolation (Oculus Rift), Invisible Inc., Donkey Kong Country

Every week I excitedly look at the Things Discussed list and every week there's always a weird curveball. Idle Thumbs, keep on truckin'. 

omg thank you yes why are the jerks always with the anime avatars?

Oh man, DK2 in a video game context is also "Donkey Kong" in my head. Hopefully someone will make Oculus Rift compatible with the Donkey Konga controller.

And thank you for the most coherent explanation of Horrible Peoplegate that I have heard so far. You're also right to point out that the Tropes vs. Women host is a genuine YouTube celebrity. They should put her on the side of subway cars like all the other random people I don't know about!

Where do I go to sign up for the Social Justice League? And when we combine our powers, what gets formed?

Two things I just wanted to mention:

1) Batman punches the shit out of Bane, but he's only finally defeated -appropriately enough- by Catwoman.

2) I'm a bit too young for the Donkey Kong VHS (I remember it but never saw it), but I totally had the same experience that Jake did because I watched the DVD of the Twilight Princess trailer that came with issue 193 of Nintendo Power like a hundred fucking times in one day.

It's so weird to think that there was a time before internet video streaming, where it was financially reasonable to produce thousands and thousands of tapes and mail them out to people in the hopes that they would be interested in the product.

I got and watched the hell out of that Donkey Kong Country VHS, as well as the Banjo Kazooie tape that arrived a couple years later. Unfortunately, I was never able to buy an N64 and play it back then, so my personal hype level surrounding that game has only continued to build and build over the past 17 years, reaching an unhealthy stage.

FYI, as a gent who doesn't spend his days immersed in games-related twitters and forums and whatnot, I still have NO FUCKING IDEA what you all were talking about for the first 45 minutes of the podcast.

Clearly, whatever it is is emotionally draining, and the last thing you want to do is retell it (them?) all over again, but I honestly don't have a clue as to what might have precipitated all of the horrible internet-hate you're apparently dealing with.

FYI, as a gent who doesn't spend his days immersed in games-related twitters and forums and whatnot, I still have NO FUCKING IDEA what you all were talking about for the first 45 minutes of the podcast.

Clearly, whatever it is is emotionally draining, and the last thing you want to do is retell it (them?) all over again, but I honestly don't have a clue as to what might have precipitated all of the horrible internet-hate you're apparently dealing with.

I haven't listened yet, but I'm assuming this is about Zoe Quinn and everything.  Short version is that an Internet goonsquad whipped up a hate maelstrom against her because an ex posted a giant manifesto about what a horrible person she is.  Anita Sarkeesian released her next Tropes vs Women episode this week, which fed fuel to the hate fire that was already raging.  The Feminism thread has a ton of discussion about it starting here

I haven't listened yet, but I'm assuming this is about Zoe Quinn and everything.  Short version is that an Internet goonsquad whipped up a hate maelstrom against her because an ex posted a giant manifesto about what a horrible person she is.  Anita Sarkeesian released her next Tropes vs Women episode this week, which fed fuel to the hate fire that was already raging.  The Feminism thread has a ton of discussion about it starting here

There was also Phil Fish exploding at the whole mess then having the worst doxxing in recent memory which drove Fish to quit the industry entirely and put Polytron up for sale.

My question is why is "an ex" just "an ex" but Quinn and Sarkeesian have to be front-and-center for this for basically just existing while this is going on?  Why isn't the story "Man Posts Giant Manifesto That Doesn't Say Anything Coherent About Games"?

My question is why is "an ex" just "an ex" but Quinn and Sarkeesian have to be front-and-center for this for basically just existing while this is going on?  Why isn't the story "Man Posts Giant Manifesto That Doesn't Say Anything Coherent About Games"?

Because that guy's existence doesn't threaten the self-identity of the people getting angry.

omg thank you yes why are the jerks always with the anime avatars?

Sorry :(

What's worse it that it puts further astigmatism (not sure if that's the correct word) on people who like anime.

What's even worse is that the internet has gone super cyclical, as I had a conversation with my best friend about how his friend has sided with the internet over the whole Zoe thing. I was kinda shocked at this, as his friend is someone I also knew and thought he was a decent bloke. Now I'm strongly re-considering that assessment.

The 2 main arguments against her seems to be that she started it, attacking 2 people who wrote some negative stuff about Depression Quest on 4chan. The other one is that she is a pathological liar. I'm sure these aren't true. Can someone please help me disprove these facts to my friend? I'm pulling up blanks as to how anyone would be stupid enough to believe this shit :(

Is the fart sound really banned from the podcast? That's so sad. :(

Like the social justice that plagues our times, the fart sound can never be truly silenced.

I like anime and currently have a manga avatar and I still fully support using a "anime avatar" meme to mock people for doing horrible things.

But then I love making fun of myself more than anything in the world so what do I know.

You mean a stigma. Astigmatism is an eye/vision problem.

No, he's right - when someone's got an anime avatar on twitter I just can't see past it.

Actually, I was talking with someone about the whole internet hate machine thing that's been going on recently - we eventually decided the only way to look into that void and not go mad was to imagine every comment being read by this guy: