JonCole

"Ethics and Journalistic Integrity"

Basically, internet businesses need to stop relying solely on algorithms to bring up related content or to flag content for this reason or that, because context is a motherfucker. If you look up a video Zoe Quinn has produced or taken part in, related videos will be from people slandering her or generally being a shitheel about her. And that's not to suggest that dissenting opinions of things or people can't exist or come up, but we can do much, much better than "LOL FIVE GUYS M I RITE" type shit. It has to be moderated by people.

Incidentally, that would be a huge job creator; having more people hired to review internet content for web based businesses.

By the way, Milo and/or his supporters have started a ridiculous "I am Milo" movement (only they use French because why not make it more pretentious) on Twitter. Mark Kern has joined in on it. Also, he's... crazy as usual:

CYSRFdUWYAEs2m4.pngCYSTGtfW8AEdmAz.png

Also this: https://twitter.com/MYSADKERN/status/685831692918087680

Also, this person points out that MRAs / GG want to make a safe space on the internet (for them, relatively speaking), which is a concept they have repeatedly bashed before:

https://twitter.com/Tesseraconteur/status/685620812808896513

Oh my god, is GG trying to absolve Mark Kern of Firefall being a shitty game by blaming it on SJWs? Like, is that actually what he's doing there?

e: Oh, my bad, that's Mark Kern's twitter. Still, is he really trying to pin it on SJWs? Cause the problem with that game is not that the engineer wears trousers.

Ah, okay, thank you for the explanations. I hadn't thought about videos.

I assume the Je Suis Milo thing is a reference to Je Suis Charlie, like they're trying to piggy-back a movement which was a reaction to an actual terrorist attack.

I don't have the full context because I purposefully don't know much about twitter, so would someone explain what "unverifying" even MEANS?

#neverforgetfeminismiscancer 

Verify status on Twitter is basically meant for people of celebrity or high-public-recognition status. Like people in the government, actors, etc. It's meant to be a way to tell if it's actually someone vs impersonators. Beyond that, it serves no other function. People of Milo's status, publication writers, don't usually get them. Unless they go nuts and bother Twitter about it a lot.

Does anybody else feel that if nothing else, there is a shortage of calm and reasoned discussion both online and offline (ugh)? It feels as if every single issue these days becomes politicized very rapidly, with harassment (or at least accusations thereof depending on who you ask) being thrown around immediately. 

I know this tangential to the topic, but it seems impossible to have a debate, anywhere. And it seems impossible for me to take sides where everything is so vitriolic.  

Verify status on Twitter is basically meant for people of celebrity or high-public-recognition status. Like people in the government, actors, etc. It's meant to be a way to tell if it's actually someone vs impersonators. Beyond that, it serves no other function. People of Milo's status, publication writers, don't usually get them. Unless they go nuts and bother Twitter about it a lot.

Oh. I see. I guess that has to hurt Milo's ego a whole lot, losing that. CENSORSHIP! And all that jazz. :P

Does anybody else feel that if nothing else, there is a shortage of calm and reasoned discussion both online and offline (ugh)? It feels as if every single issue these days becomes politicized very rapidly, with harassment (or at least accusations thereof depending on who you ask) being thrown around immediately.

If we're talking about clear cut harassers, like Milo Yiannopoulos, it's certainly difficult to maintain a calm and reasoned discussion. But I guess we're generally also lacking a clear framework, clear modes of identifying harassment or abuse. That may change this year.

According to https://support.twitter.com/articles/119135?lang=en#

Do verified accounts have access to extra features?

Yes, verified account holders have access to the following extra features:

• Verified account holders have access to filters in the Notifications page that let them display their Notifications via one of three options: All (default), Mentions and Verified.
  • Visitors to verified account profile pages can select between two timeline options: No replies or All. No replies, which is the default setting, displays Tweets that are not direct @ replies to fans or followers. All displays every Tweet, including @ replies.
  • Verified account holders have access to account analytics, including data and characteristics about Tweet engagement and followers.
  • Verified account holders can elect to opt out of Group Direct Messages via the Security and Privacy settings page on Twitter.com.

If I were cynical I would think that what a sensationalistic "journalist" really cared about was the analytics to see how well his tweets did and not some sort of "censorship."

That seems out of date because I can filter notifications by all and mentions, I can also see tweet analytics and I thought all pages could filter between all tweets and tweets without @replies, and I'm pretty sure I'm not verified.

What level of analytic data can you see, SVM?

Becoming Verified is essentially a proof that you are good at lending credibility to Twitter as a platform.

I can see charts and trends from month to month, as well as how individual tweets did based on expansions, favourites, replies etc. It seems pretty robust, and is clearly trying to sell tweet promotion to me.

Here's the link: https://analytics.twitter.com/

I don't think it's very commonly advertised so maybe people just haven't noticed?

Verified twitter users can specifically turn off mentions from anyone unverified. I think everything else on that list is open to everyone.

Milo continues to be a shit head. He's attributing Twitter's stock drop to his hate mob selling their stock as retaliation for his unverification (I doubt most of them have stock in it), because y'know, Twitter announcing bad ideas for their site or a competitor springing up have nothing to do with the stock. He's also using David Bowie's death to score cool points with his hate mob, even saying, "Why does David Bowie get to be verified? He's dead." I'm not exaggerating, he literally said that. Because he's a narcissistic piece of shit.

In addition to using harassment as the sole rhetoric register, Milo Yiannopoulos is just about the most useless person in this entire debate. He knows nothing about any of the scientific faculties concerned, even less about video games, and still he's trying to be a rock star for gamergate supporters. I'm sure he'd be delighted at the comparison, but to me he seems like a Kim Kardashian wannabe, known for nothing but social media presence, latching on to actual celebrities, and of course, for having being a huge ass.

Losing twitter verification seems to be his ultimate Yiannopoulocalypse. Oh wondrous thing, Breitbart cybertech knows no other topic than this "declaration of war on conservative media". And the Milo fans have their White House petition in place. The success of this petition, which as of now steadily approaches 1.6% of needed votes, may give us some insight into how much of a "Year of Milo" we can expect in 2016.

Excuse me, Kim Kardashian actually made her media empire after someone dropped a sex tape without her permission and is now fucking rich. Nero is a fucking hack. 

Don't be scornful of a successful woman. 

Excuse me, Kim Kardashian actually made her media empire after someone dropped a sex tape without her permission and is now fucking rich. Nero is a fucking hack. 

:tup: :tup: :tup: !!!

All right, I take it back. Still, I really don't want to know a world in which a Milo Yiannopoulos has that kind of reach and popularity.

He doesn't though. Everyone knows who Kim K is in the US. No one knows who Nero is. Kim K has a frickin' video game, even. 

As for Milo's popularity (not to say that he has the reach of Kardashian), I was browsing Youtube for David Bowie tracks and alighted on an Aphex Twin remix. In the comments section was a conversation that started about David Bowie and ended in an endorsement of Milo and Theodore Dalrymple.

144k followers on twitter (92% real) aren't chicken feed though. Then again, gamergate supporters are running amok spreading the news of 'censorship' and that White House petition still isn't at 1.6%. As a Kickstarter, the developers would have taken that one offline yesterday.

/edit: All right, I'll put this next Yiannopoulos twitter provocation in spoiler tags, because it might just be unbearable to some. How could this guy possibly be any more disgusting?

c7c8ac31f960df312719fd7016c1ac58_nothing

Oh, I'd just come here to post that. Milo is a disgusting piece of shit and has done that shit TWICE in the same week, with two people who are way more substantial than him in so many ways.

Ugh. So Quinn has dropped the charges and ended the long court battle against the guy that started this whole goddamn mess. Who will no doubt run around touting it as a victory. Zoe wrote about it, and it's more of a lament about the legal system and general ignorance people have about the internet and the things it provides / does.

http://blog.unburntwitch.com/post/139084743809/why-i-just-dropped-the-harassment-charges-the-man#_=_

That has been evident for a long time. Even the helpful judges had to actually ask Quinn how to word certain things in the restraining order. The legal system is unfit to deal with the situation, period. As strange as that sounds, that must have been unsatisfactory for both sides, a waste of time and money for both sides. I congratulate Quinn for her decision, it is unfortunately the only correct one.

Eron Gjoni is a deeply abusive personality in dire need of psychological help, and nowhere is that as evident as in his long and incoherent rambling about his ex-girlfriend that somehow is still online, to his embarassment. I read the whole thing in its entirety again last August, and was once more baffeled as to how people could, on the basis of this, run amok with harassment that hasn't stopped since then. And no court order could ever stop organized harassment. The harassment machine is in no need of further pedaling supplied by the original abuser... as we've seen, that machine has no shortage of energy.

Today, I'm seeing gamergate supporters doing their desperate best to untie their and Gjoni's abuse of Zoe Quinn from their heralded history of uninformed and excessive consumers running amok. But whatever amount of lily white spray paint covers the tube like links between the Quinnspiracy and gamergate, their humongous contours will always be visible to those who look. In that respect, we may even have to thank John Bain for his now historical blog entry. I can and will point to it again and again, because, as I've said before, he literally speaks about his prejudice concerning Zoe Quinn and presages/dictates the three pillars of gamergate ideology – goals, targets, smoke screen – on the basis of exactly that.

Meanwhile, the Milo Yiannopoulos White House petition to reinstate his twitter verification has ended with 1.624% of necessary signatures reached.