JonCole

"Ethics and Journalistic Integrity"

Ninety-Three's argument also works for any other kind of whistleblower, I notice.

The value of the Fallout 4 leak would have been mostly neutered if Bethesda had put a title card at the end of Skyrim saying 'Fallout 4 Coming Soon'.

Play-Asia is signal boosting GamerGate, because they decided to not release their latest Dead or Alive thing in the USA and are blaming "SJWs" for it. They're also apparently naming Twitter accounts that are being critical of them, which can probably be a means of directing harassment. So that official Twitter account proooooobably won't last the week.

Edit - Oh wait, not seeing the naming of accounts... wonder why my old friend is saying that. However, they are signal boosting GG.

Edit - Oh wait, not seeing the naming of accounts... wonder why my old friend is saying that. However, they are signal boosting GG.

Three people tweeted at Play Asia asking how to delete their accounts. A gator replied to this tweetchain with a shitty meme image calling them "triggered." Play Asia retweeted this harassing tweet, which also includes the twitter usernames of those three customers, opening them up to further harassment.

Play-Asia is signal boosting GamerGate, because they decided to not release their latest Dead or Alive thing in the USA and are blaming "SJWs" for it. They're also apparently naming Twitter accounts that are being critical of them, which can probably be a means of directing harassment. So that official Twitter account proooooobably won't last the week.

(Cross posting, sorry)

The devs of Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 have stated that they won't release the game in western territories because of, let's be as precise as possible here, "issues happening in video game industry with regard to how to treat female in video game industry". What exemplary imbecile hogwash is that?

A game is sold in western territories if adequate sales are to be expected and that's fricking that.

DoAX2 in 2006/2007 was received poorly. Why? Because ( a ) it featured impoverished, luck based, arbitrary game mechanics as opposed to the regular DoA series and ( b ) for the reviewers who were into the softcore vibe, the breasts didn't wiggle realistically enough. In other words, the developers could not satisfy their core, decidedly non-"SJW" audience in western territories.

In anticipation of bad sales and the very same criticism, DoAX3 remains in Japan.

The devs are now testing how much controversy they can drum up by riling up the gamergate supps. If the mob responds accordingly, they'll get their DoAX3, sure enough. Another great victory for gamergate in bringing actually bad and unwanted games to the western market.

But let's not get real here. We all know it was the Social Justice Warriors, or rather: the mere anticipation of the Social Justice Warriors' oh so frightening reaction which scared the poor developers into tearfully cutting a billion potential customers out of their calculation in what surely must be an act of "censorship".  

http://playeressence.com/dead-or-alive-xtreme-3-isnt-coming-to-the-west-because-of-social-justice-warriors/

I have seldom seen a more obvious attempt at instrumentalizing gamergate as this one. And boy do those outrage saps fall for it. Seldom have their trigger terms applied any less. Gamergate supporters should be furious about this blatant marketing attempt. Their backlash should be directed at their actual abusers, their puppet masters, not their fictional enemy.

Take a good look at Jim Sterling's ask.fm today. The gaters are up in arms and fighting their ever anonymous foe.

Damnit, why are Play-Asia doing something so dumb?

I used them fairly regularly at one point, this diminishes my enthusiasm in using them again.

The thing is, it's likely all a smoke-screen; over the last few years a lot of Eastern developers have scaled back on how much they have localized outside their native markets. Which does suck, but it's understandable; it's a lot of money to invest if you're not getting much return. It's what happened to Konami and Capcom.

But this bullshit of pandering to GG is weird.

play-asia is just trying to get publicity. direct2drive has also been courting gamergate. I'll not be buying anything from either of them again.

I hadn't heard about the Play-Asia thing, but I find it funny (not funny) that the developer quote is basically saying that they can still be shitty to women in video games in Japan, but that's not acceptable in the US anymore.

*sigh* I am not above titillation, I played some DOAX2 with my wife actually, it was just a bad game. One of the worst I can remember playing.

play-asia is just trying to get publicity. direct2drive has also been courting gamergate. I'll not be buying anything from either of them again.

Meanwhile, GOG has just stardocked a little too much for my taste.

I'm in a pickle here, because Humble just plain sucks and my entire DRM free bet now is on the little Polish guys.

Are you just talking about Stardock games now being on GoG?  I hardly consider that a mark against GoG in any way.  The world is full of assholes, and if you run a business like GoG, you're going to end up working with some of them. 

Also, not entirely clear why Humble sucks. 

Haha, sorry, that was uncalled for. IGNORE!

Aye.

Also, I won't get into my criticism of Humble here.

Play-Asia consumers now post pictures of their order confirmation emails. Which is hilarious, because it means they're falling for the Tecmo marketing ploy. As if people gave a shit about their purchase. Eventually, they have spent 70+$ for importing a game they probably won't even like, just to give their fictional enemy a sad face. That'll rather teach them!

Heheheh. Wailing hyper consumers buy shitty imports now. :P

Haha, sorry, that was uncalled for. IGNORE!

I thought it was hilarious.

Just a brief note about Humble; apparently people see the Humble stuff as a marketing arm for big publishers or something.

Isn't the entire point of a website selling games to advertise? Or is the problem that they aren't doing exclusively indie bundles with no DRM anymore?

apparently people see the Humble stuff as a marketing arm for big publishers or something.

Well, almost. I see Humble as primarily an S/O/U key reseller, and I think we need less of those, or rather more of the other, for a healthy market situation. And that's all there is to it right now.

Just a brief note about Humble; apparently people see the Humble stuff as a marketing arm for big publishers or something.

Wow that's... bizarre. Considering their origins.

I think 99% of the stuff I have on Humble I can download DRM free.

It seems a bizarre complaint to levy at a company that 1) donates verifiably significant amounts to charity and 2) does provide as large of a percentage of their library as possible DRM free.  Without Steam keys, it's conceivable that Humble as we know it would be dead, that they wouldn't have been able to achieve the sales numbers to stay viable. 

I'm as suspicious of Steam as anyone, but even I can't fault Humble for offering Steam keys.

I don't really know how to post tweets here, but it looks like PlayAsia is benefiting from this? They almost doubled their followers since this started and are tweeting smugly "Best Boycott Ever"?

I don't really know how to post tweets here...

FWIW, I don't think we can.  I either direct link, or take a screencap if I suspect it will disappear. 

Meanwhile, GOG has just stardocked a little too much for my taste.

Yes, I was a bit worried when I went to GOG for their Witcher 3 sale yesterday and saw all the Stardock stuff on their front page. But at least they aren't baiting people like play asia and direct2drive are. Luckily, my current computer doesn't meet the minimum specs for Witcher 3 so I can hold off buying it until I get a new computer.