JonCole

"Ethics and Journalistic Integrity"

So how's Mr. Yiannopoulos, Esquire's great Breitbart tech offspring going? Ahhh, fabulous, just fabulous. There's this guy who said this guy he knows said that feminists were framing men in tech at conventions so that they can cry rape afterwards, and they're going after Linus Torvalds (that's some other guy Yiannopoulos only recently learned about when people asked him about his competence in tech on reddit, so maybe he thought, fuck it, just stick with that Peanuts name person). Yeah, yeah, I know how this sounds, but this source guy really trusted this other guy and even had a third guy present. So of course Milo can report that. I mean, he's basically got three sources in one here.

So how's Mr. Yiannopoulos, Esquire's great Breitbart tech offspring going? Ahhh, fabulous, just fabulous. There's this guy who said this guy he knows said that feminists were framing men in tech at conventions so that they can cry rape afterwards, and they're going after Linus Torvalds (that's some other guy Yiannopoulos only recently learned about when people asked him about his competence in tech on reddit, so maybe he thought, fuck it, just stick with that Peanuts name person). Yeah, yeah, I know how this sounds, but this source guy really trusted this other guy and even had a third guy present. So of course Milo can report that. I mean, he's basically got three sources in one here.

Even if he wasn't involved in gamergate, and I dare say even if his opinions were the opposite of what they are, that guy is such a narcissist that I don't think I'll ever be able to take him seriously.  He's basically every 13 year old's idea of a cool persona.  He spends his time picking fights with people when he isn't congratulating himself for having already had a fight with someone.

I feel a little sorry for Eric Raymond (although when I said that to people who work with FOSS, they immediately responded "don't"). Normally he just says this stuff on his blog, and a few people read it, and that's it. But now there's a mid-sized news source credulous enough to rebroadcast it, and suddenly he's a complete laughing stock.

(I guess maybe compare and contrast the Star Citizen stuff and the Escapist? Although the hard work on that was done over decades, of course...)

A member of Gamergate was pretending to be a woman for the last year, and the charade has come to an end when the cosplayer whose photos he was using called him out on it.

People are trying to make sure the guy isn't dogpiled on, though it is important to note how shitty the move was to do. There was already suspicion built around the persona he turns out to have made up because of the ridiculous amount of pro-GG sob-stories it was coming up with.

Just an important note - this isn't an issue of a trans person being outed. Again, a guy who identifies as a guy was using pictures of someone else to claim to be someone else.

I feel a little sorry for Eric Raymond (although when I said that to people who work with FOSS, they immediately responded "don't").

I'm sort of alarmed that Eric Raymond turned out to be a terrible old man, but then I find out he's a libertarian, and I remember that his biggest period of influence was when women were driven out of computer programming, and I'm not quite so surprised.

Please tell me Steve Wozniak won't become shitty.

Zoe Quinn is writing a memoir and there are talks of a movie based on the memoir!

As in, it's already been sold to a producer, Amy Pascal, after a bidding war, so multiple people think a studio will stump money for this.

Yeah I wouldn't get too excited on a movie actually being made, almost anything that gets made sells their movie rights regardless of any plans to do anything about it. I'm glad she's able to spin something positive about what she's gone through, though something about a person who isn't even 30 yet writing their memior is like nails on a chalkboard to me. Also the fact that a memoir implies something having past when all the evidence seems to point to all this still being very much alive and well.

Zoe seems to be quite convinced about that movie. And the rumor mill suggests 'keen interest' from a certain S. Johansson for the lead role. :blink:

Zoe seems to be quite convinced about that movie. And the rumor mill suggests 'keen interest' from a certain S. Johansson for the lead role. :blink:

I still think it's prudent to remember that optioning is the start of a long process that does not inevitably result in a released film. They might not find the money. They might get a director that can do the material, or worse, has their own agenda. They might not have a script. The film could be unwatchable. The film might not find a distributor.

And that's ignoring the possibility that the film could be fine, but not be representative of Zoe's story. Amy Pascal deliberately underpaid actresses relative to their male counterparts while at Sony because she could. It's very easy to imagine Pascal, or another producer, or the financiers, deciding it'd make the movie more marketable to make it entirely about Gamergate rather than about Zoe, to have the movie define Zoe as Gamergate's slayer rather than as a woman who clawed herself out of poverty to become a notable game designer. I think this is less likely than it would have been 10 years ago, but then they are optioning an unwritten book - so it's possible, though unlikely, all they want is to ensure Zoe has to sign off on the approach they've already decided to take.

I'm aware of those pitfalls, if only because I follow the noble pursuits of John Green. :)

Thankfully, it's easy to judge the finished movie product on the basis of next year's book. To which I am looking forward a good bit more than the movie...

Some better news from the SXSW situation. SXSW pushed the Gamergate panel out so that it's not part of the anti-harassment event, and so now the original anti-harassment panel has confirmed that they will attend.

Gamergate photoshopped an image of Veerender Jubbal, a freelance video games journalist, to make him look like a terrorist, then sent that image to news outlets saying he was one of the attackers in Paris. The news outlets then published those images for stories.

When Gamergate was called out on it, they said it was the media's fault. Even though, y'know, they perpetuated the lie in the first place. And it's a pretty awful lie to tell about someone.

By the way, Veerender Jubbal is Sikh, not Muslim. So Gamergate still has those awesome signs of racism.

Don't you understand? They only did that to prove how racist the SJW journalists are! No true gamer sees race! And besides, the people that did that weren't really gamergaters!

Gamergate photoshopped

Sssssstop right there. Who did? Who exactly, or is this at least traceable to the activist gg alliance (4chan/8chan)?

The way Breitbart reacted, of course, I wouldn't be surprised if it's 100% traceable. :mellow:

/edit: Been googling around. Even been to voat for the first time, well that's not happening again I tell you. The amount of gamergate supporter gloating I find is absolutely repulsive. But, hey, they have Breitbart to point to (though that article is 70% defamation). "Our guys were against this". Nope, whoever is at actual fault, gamergate supporters were not "against this". They're pulling a weird kind of told you so now – "see what happens when you rely on mainstream media, Jubbal?".

"Why we can't have nice things" actually talks about that Troll mentality a lot.

They bait mainstream media with some outlandish claim and then see if anyone bites. If someone does, they double down on it to expose how corrupt the media is, if the media don't then they go to the next attempt until they get something in the news.

All actions are justified in attempts to expose the 'truth' about how compromised our media is.

They bait mainstream media with some outlandish claim and then see if anyone bites. If someone does, they double down on it to expose how corrupt the media is, if the media don't then they go to the next attempt until they get something in the news.

Either that or use the media ignoring their bullshit itself as evidence of a media conspiracy, as they did when gaming sites refused to disseminate the Zoe post.

As always, KiA's quick to name instances of the guy's disassociation with gamergate.

But, yes, of course he was part of the gamergate mob. That's the thing with the leaderless movement... no one's throwing people out with any kind of authority.

This is gatergate.

I don't imagine anybody outside the group really doubted the connection, but it's still nice to see it laid out so plainly. The weird mind-bending gaters are attempting over this whole thing is really a special kind of maelstrom of shit. No that wasn't us, but also isn't it totally justified, remember that time he made fun of white people, also this shows that we're absolutely right in demanding ethical journalism, even though it's us fucking asshats who caused this problem in the first place, blah blah blah...

The ethical course of action, now as ever, would be for the group to advocate for its own abolishment. That penny will never drop, I fear.