JonCole

"Ethics and Journalistic Integrity"

what's the real story with the Sunset / Leigh / Anita thing? Is it just nonsense? A joke by the devs taken too seriously? There where a few invective laden posts here, but we jumped to the jokey part of the conversation without clearing up the nonsense part! 

The real story is pretty much that Twitter conversation Ninety-Three posted: Tale of Tales make obviously sarcastic tweets about how weird it is that hiring indie cabal high chancellor Leigh Alexander as a consultant didn't turn their game into a smash hit and dillweeds are being either geniunely or intentionally obtuse about it and try to claim that this was a real confession of real crimes, that ToT apparently felt compelled to make because they consider themselves above the law or something.

Really weird seeing Max Fisher, who covers foreign affairs for Vox, tweet about how GamerGate is bombarding him because he said something about whatever that weird Reddit drama over the weekend was.

Just watching Adam Baldwin jump into any twitter conversation that mentions the word "ethics" or "Gamergate" is incredibly sad.

Is there a way no one can ever give Mark Kern attention again?

Seriously, that fucking tour bus shit. He should really be working at McDonald's after that kind of failure. It would appear to me he is probably one of the most harmful types to ever be working in games so he should eat that puke he spews and go home.

Kern stands for irresponsible, bloated, desperately AAA wannabe game development. He's core indie now, but I guess he just can't accept it. Maybe he's on his way out of game development. Then again, that doesn't stop him from being a gamergate ideologue. Looking back, I'm still surprised how readily the gamergate crowd has accepted him after an initial strong dislike. Seems like all you have to do for acceptance is to continuously harrass people on twitter. The irony.

"gamergate indie" is probably a cynically safe space to be. smaller team of creeps needs fewer copies moved. hatred probably did "well" for it's team, though it had a decent sized controversy to spread awareness. 

Man, that bus was pretty cool though, right?

Until I just searched it up, I had no idea who Mark Kern was. I was at a couple of PAX's where they went all out for Firefall marketing. It definitely snared me and a few friends because of all the hubbub, but we only played for 4 hours or so. I might have put a little money in?

Some Goobergate douchebag tried to get Randi Harper's info from the FBI and failed miraculously. So he's on a tirade against her right now on Twitter.

Also he tried to dox me on Twitter when I commented in her tweets about it. It was a fail dox, but still an attempt. Mysteriously it disappeared moments after I reported it! IMAGINE THAT.

In reading one of the sources I saw that GOG.com is a sponsor of thegg.net which seems like not the best spot. Do they sponsor other GG platforms or related sites? Not rushing to conclusions, I just know nothing about GOG's leanings and their love of old games seems like it would be a magnet for people who decry change. Has this been happening? Is it all terribly obvi? Am I late to this particular party?

In reading one of the sources I saw that GOG.com is a sponsor of thegg.net which seems like not the best spot. Do they sponsor other GG platforms or related sites? Not rushing to conclusions, I just know nothing about GOG's leanings and their love of old games seems like it would be a magnet for people who decry change. Has this been happening? Is it all terribly obvi? Am I late to this particular party?

Thegg.net is "The Gaming Ground", named in 2009.

Wow. Trying to read that article is like drowning in suet. Has that person ever written anything before? Have they ever _read_ anything before?

The name may be coincidence, but we did recently quote them here for spinning GG bullshit.

Oh right, that complete garbage article. I wasn't aware of them being generally pro-GG, but there is that. Speaking of that article though, I noticed that the author is pretty active in the comments. It's bad.

Commenter: This is neogaf style reporting 

"This tweet has to be accurate, why would people lie on the internet?"

Author: I never stated that it´s the truth, "according to Tale of Tales", "I would love to hear Anita Sarkeesian´s statement on this." ect.

GOG isn't sponsoring them, it's a referral program.

GOG isn't sponsoring them, it's a referral program.

That's good to know... I was just about to write an email to them.

Still, GOG might not want that logo to feature as proudly on the site... :o

Obviously, it is used there to signal GOG's support for their ideology. As if. GOG's been really, really careful not to misstep and keep out of that whole mess. Notably, they're still cooperating with John Bain, but also follow e.g. Wil Weaton on twitter. And occasionally, well, shit happens to them. :mellow:

On the whole, I really think GOG shouldn't be under scrutiny in gamergate related matters when Valve is not... it's obvious what service actually benefits here.

I'm starting to rack up considerable frequent flyer miles from having my Twitter posted up on KiA because this one dude in particular seems to be obsessed with me because I am friends with other people he's obsessed with.

My tweets, rather. As in they are getting around. 

(I've been up since 330 AM, it made sense at the time.)

Ah, thought it might be something like that!

NEW PAGE HOLY FUCK ONLY 1 IN 20 CHANCE LOOK EVERYONE UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

Oh wow, that's only a 5% chance and it could happen at any time holy shit you are so impressive!!!!!

AppleCider, I keep seeing you tweet about that ass and his crew and GG and I just want to offer my support, even if I don't know how to express it/if it's even possible for me to help in any way

Thanks. I really don't  know what Peter Coffin's deal is but he's been getting scarily obsessed and subtweety lately. But he went private so maybe he'll fucking leave us alone. The fact that a guy can be even superficially critical of "social justice" and that makes GG people go after ME instead is not surprising in the least. 

Feel free to not answer, because I imagine it's gotten tiring - but what was the genesis of the latest Peter Coffin antics? Clearly he's shitty based on how he's reacted to criticism, but it wasn't clear to me what his original offense was. Probably the most annoying thing about him is how he continually uses dictionary definitions to "prove" his arguments.

Offense to me or in general? As far as I am concerned - a month or two ago, he basically took what I was talking about male allies in the aGG "group" generally doing it for nerd points and fighting guys vs. elevanting discourse and highlighting harassment/showing off women's work in spite of being harassed. He came into my mentions and proceeded to snipe at me when I was already mad (since I'd been getting shit all day) and said that I'm devaluing harassment victims and women's work, etc. I blocked him but not before he screencapped all my tweets, stuck them up on his account and started shittalking me to this 13k followers, some of whom he admits are hate-followers. Keep in mind I've never spoken this guy other than telling him not to RT something I said because I was getting gators in my mentions. He blocks me, I block him but he then continues to read my twitter or my friends twitters or generally keep up on what we're all doing because he subtweets us occasionally, the worst being the other day where he had a fucking meltdown about being called an ally. 

The guy seriously is unstable at best and has a lot of other shit he's done (made up a fake asian gf years ago, got famous for kicking himself in the balls, is generally just a youtuber with a huge insecurity problem who also is now an authority on feminism and social justice because he picks fights with gators.)

But it means that it's landed me back on the GG radar because they see Coffin as "coming to the right side" by shitting on me or my friends or feminists in general.