JonCole

"Ethics and Journalistic Integrity"

Wanted to provide itsamoose with some relevant statements from Cross' twitter, but came across a repulsive gamergate meetup poster there, remembered that it might not be the time to post outrage inducing pictures back here, so I just...

...didn't.

"Ethics in journalism": What gamergaters actually think.

trueintent.gif

97% going with the SJW conspiracy nonsense... I didn't think it would be that bad. But alas.

I feel like the surprisingly low number of voters maybe speaks more volumes than intended. Where was this conducted?

I feel like the surprisingly low number of voters maybe speaks more volumes than intended. Where was this conducted?

strawpoll.me - I have the direct link researched, but posting it could influence results (in any direction).

At present however (at 1700 votes), the consensus is rather to pick option two (now at 7%) and ignore the journalism corruption nonsense altogether...

The path is still very clear. What's wrong with video games consists of the "SJW colonisation/conspiracy", and the "con artist" term is needed so mere game critics like Anita Sarkeesian can also be attacked.

I'm mildly curious on what they think the "colonization/conspiracy" intend to do? Stop games from being a sausagefest? Less "bewbs"? Be less violent? What is this nightmare scenario they have deluded themselves into believing?

What would an MRA hate so much? Maybe a game where you aren't allowed to be awful towards other human beings?

I know that they should be worried of being exposed for making the gaming world a toxic place for everybody, but somehow, I think they are too deluded to even think of that.

I'm pretty sure they make the Tea Party look sane by comparison.

That is the truth, yes.

To get some kind of depiction what they are afraid of needs digging deep into their ideological territory, places where no feeling of shame would ever keep them from unveiling what's in their hearts (just out of spite, I'll use the term trigger warning for this article). In this definition on the (arguably?) largest gamergate website, almost all story based games are SJW games.

I find the present developments and this year's controversies to be fairly interesting. In the last gater discussions I've seen, the only overt example for "SJW game colonisation" they bring up is the replacement of six lines of backer created content in an already published game (with a potentially more offensive result). And that means that the brunt of that colonisation is happening behind the scenes, as part of the conspiracy, and influence on game developers is visible only in the results, the finished games.

I've seen some gaters describe their doings as "defending game developers". Yet, as long as the "SJW influence" remains so indirect and diffuse by the gater description, what they think needs to be done can only be described as a war of aggression.

I regret clicking on that site... This isn't the site people have talked about because it's using photos of developers and journalists without permission and on ludicrous articles? A site people refuse to name because they just don't won't people to hear about it?

I'm pretty sure that to them "SJW" means "anybody that doesn't agree with me", and the "colonization" aspect? Are they talking about AAA companies making games like Life Is Strange or games with female protagonists in general? 

Of course, that view of defending games intersects with their view of what games are allowed to be to create a kind of No True Scotsman scenario that, in their mind, justifies attacking game developers in the name of defending game developers: real games aren't political, therefore what you are making isn't a real game, therefore you are an interloper and must be chased out.

It's just another way of making sure they don't have to think about the politics of what they play and can instead focus on the really important stuff: yelling at developers because they don't like the ending to something (Mass Effect 3) or changes made to reload times (Call of Duty). Such immense concern for artistic freedom.

Edit:

I regret clicking on that site... This isn't the site people have talked about because it's using photos of developers and journalists without permission and on ludicrous articles? A site people refuse to name because they just don't won't people to hear about it?

Nah, this is old garbage. The talk you've heard was probably about a database of unethical conduct they've recently started to show the SPJ that they know what their talking about, and which lists such offenses as "was on a mailing list," "did not disclose friendship" and "didn't give game the objectively correct score"

The site also uses people's pictures without permission (in order to make these profiles more convincing wanted posters I guess), but of course unlike the massively journalistic endeavor of having opinions on games, investigating people's lives is just a thing that regular people do and doesn't require any concern for ethical standards.

The talk you've heard was probably about a database of unethical conduct they've recently started to show the SPJ that they know what their talking about

Indeed, after eight months, gamergate has attempted to churn out the ultimate website to prove that it's only ever been about ethics in game journalism.

Haven't seen the word "SJW" mentioned once there! Of course, not that many people in that database are actually journalists, age old two line twitter conversations have to stand in for undisclosed relationships, and they're even going with a Quinnspiracy version that her creepy stalker/ex-boyfriend doesn't support. If as a journalist you dare to dislike a game for its portrayal of women, you commit sensationalism, i.e. you're an SJW and you need to be put out of a job by the game defenders aka gamergate idiots. They find your name on a journalist mailing list? Collusion, you're not supposed to talk to other journalists, or other people for that matter. And to boot, they're linking to all those petty harrassment sites like Ralph for further reading and "proof", because those are all they have at their disposal...  

So, a good laugh that site is. The most reasonable looking depiction of gamergate's cause there will ever be, and it STILL comes across as a crazy, all encompassing, boundless witch hunt. I do hope most of the depicted people, journalists and the heap of others, will sue for copyright at the very least.

That is the truth, yes.

To get some kind of depiction what they are afraid of needs digging deep into their ideological territory, places where no feeling of shame would ever keep them from unveiling what's in their hearts (just out of spite, I'll use the term trigger warning for this article). In this definition on the (arguably?) largest gamergate website, almost all story based games are SJW games.

Yeah, most of these sites log their referrers. We're probably fine because Doug'll step in, but donotlink.com might be worth a look-in.

I was looking through some old Bbcasts today and it turns out Giant Bomb predicted this shit years ago.

RQ7w6ri.png

Via my Twitter feed, some Japanese game devs actually wanted to support GG, and this is the response they got:

CEs9rteVIAAVHQw.jpg

CEs9rxsUMAACcKT.jpg

I still have no idea how to read twitter. I wish there was a program that turned what seems like a random string of tweets into some coherent conversation I could digest.

Via my Twitter feed, some Japanese game devs actually wanted to support GG, and this is the response they got:

Inclusivity! Diversity! Telling people to fuck off because their language skills are a bit rough! Man, who wouldn't want to be a part of #GamerGate at this point?

Japan's definitely lagging behind on the progressive metric, whatever that might be.

As I said in IRC: I, for one, frequently fondle the breasts of my action figures. *horf*

You know what's sad? The fact that Quiet actually looks or might actually be an adult is kinda progressive by Japanese game standard's now.

I can't even remember the last time I saw a game with an adult woman from Japan.... :^/

The problem with criticizing Japan is it frequently ignores that we have similar issues over here. Sure, our video games aren't coming out with floppable breast dolls but there's a lot of other shit we try to push regardless. (Also reminder that Quiet was sexually abused as a character, as well.)

I know there's people concerning about "Quiet" but don't worry. Kojima created her character as an antithesis to the women characters appeared in the past fighting game who are excessively exposed. "Quiet" who doesn't have a word will be teased in the story as well. But once you recognize the secret reason for her exposure, you will feel ashamed of your words and deeds.

I think Japanese material is also severely complicated by a totally arcane production process (compared to the US), based on conversations with my Anime convention running friend. We were talking about their difficulty in establishing independent production, and what I was told was (you might/probably all already know this. it was totally surprising to me). These things get designed by committees where each stake holder has a unique stake in the pot and they have total control over their aspect. The soundtrack is produced independently, and those people own the proceeds of that, where the creators only get paid off DVD sales, and not at all off TV broadcasts, if anybody gets paid at all for that. Anyway, I think this is one source of the grossness, that different aspects (the toy makers) don't answer to the creator.

It's also why DVDs are like $60, because they calculate out what the creator needs to take away, what the diehard audience is, and then just divide those numbers. 

I know there's people concerning about "Quiet" but don't worry. Kojima created her character as an antithesis to the women characters appeared in the past fighting game who are excessively exposed. "Quiet" who doesn't have a word will be teased in the story as well. But once you recognize the secret reason for her exposure, you will feel ashamed of your words and deeds.

Hah! Joke's on you, Hideo, I already feel ashamed of my words and deeds 100% of the time.

The problem with criticizing Japan is it frequently ignores that we have similar issues over here. Sure, our video games aren't coming out with floppable breast dolls but there's a lot of other shit we try to push regardless. (Also reminder that Quiet was sexually abused as a character, as well.)

Yep, it gets uncomfortably 'nationality-bashy'.  We went from 'some japanese developers' to "yeah Japan is mad sexist lol look at that regressive culture"... like the fuck, when do 'some developers' represent entire culture in one batch like that guys, come on.  Feel free to point out specifics like feelthedarkness did but let's dial it back on "lol Japan" bits.

As for the 'floppable breast dolls', Dead Island tried that (well, severed torso to be exact... so actually worse???) so yeah other parts of the world (was it Polish dev team and German publisher??? for some reason I'm thinking of UK cause the torso had UK flag bikini and yes I get that I just rolled up entire world in one batch... see it's not that useful~) are sadly not THAT much 'better'.  Just measuring acorn lengths (hope that makes some sense, it's a Korean parable) if we generalize on such scale :x