JonCole

"Ethics and Journalistic Integrity"

Also, Lego owns legos.com and used to have it redirect to a message chastising people for incorrectly pluralizing their brand name. They had this coming.

They are doing the Lord's work. Or were.

Funny hair!! AND HATS.

I'm going to have to go lie down after listening to this.

I listened to just about a minute in some places of the video, and stumbled on exactly this.

Maybe "SJW" means "funny hair and hat person". Like, FH&HP. That's a great signature, really. :)

Here's a discussion between Jeff Gerstmann and an actual Gamergater. It's amazing just how ridiculous his arguments seem when they leave the echo chamber and come out into the real world.

Am I an asshole if I stop listening right when the guy says "traditional gamers"?

"Unfortunately their opinion is being picked up by a lot of people"

I really wonder what kind of twisted dialectics you have to come up with in your own head in order to imagine that people would just look at an article and go "Yeah, I believe in this now" instead of supporting it because they already felt that way.

"Unfortunately their opinion is being picked up by a lot of people"

I really wonder what kind of twisted dialectics you have to come up with in your own head in order to imagine that people would just look at an article and go "Yeah, I believe in this now" instead of supporting it because they already felt that way.

Well if you already have the view that most other people are warped sheeple then magic bullet/hypodermic needle theory plays quite well I suspect.

Well if you already have the view that most other people are warped sheeple then magic bullet/hypodermic needle theory plays quite well I suspect.

I suppose it could also be them projecting way hard about how they instantly pick up any absurd accusations slung at their targets and enshrine it as part of their dogma.

Gamergate is branching out.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/04/the-culture-wars-come-to-sci-fi/390012/

http://grrm.livejournal.com/417521.html

Personally, I welcome how the same people who constitute gamergate's ideological foundation now openly branch out the anti-diversity hence "corruption" witch hunt to encompass Sci-Fi literature, maybe soon even the entirety of geek culture. That could have quite wonderful results. Gamergate's claims are now contrasted against a far older, far more grown up narrative medium the fans of which have actually been on the forefront of diversity for a long time. Gamer culture is, after all, not synonymous with geek culture. I am quite hopeful that the "Sad Puppies'" attacks led against the Hugo awards will prove to be desastrous to their instigators. Sci-Fi was attacked, so we WILL see a considerable backlash from funny hair & hat people, one that might even affect gamergate.

Gamergate is less branching out, in my mind, as this shit has always been there and now just wants to adopt GG's organizational tactics because there's always going to be crybaby nerdlords who don't want diversity anywhere.

Don't forget people raised in the stew of American-style conservatism who are incapable of seeing those who disagree with them as being humans with good intentions worthy of respect!

As the article mentions, this is Sad Puppies 3, as in, this is the third year they've tried doing this.  It's been the most successful to date, which is why there's been the extra amount of hand-wringing from the SF community this time around, but this isn't GG trying to open a new front.  The two groups do have remarkably similar complaints, but that's just because they're separate heads of the same hydra which has existed long before either of them and will (unfortunately) still exist after both of them die off.

Gamergate is less branching out, in my mind, as this shit has always been there and now just wants to adopt GG's organizational tactics because there's always going to be crybaby nerdlords who don't want diversity anywhere.

I absolutely agree, with just a small twist. I've abandonned the idea that gamergate started August 28th, 2014. At the very least, the movement started with the attacks on the Tropes vs. Women Kickstarter in 2012. It was just labeled last August. :mellow: And it will still be the same movement when gaters relabel it eventually (one of these months, they may find out they've named their cult after an exemplary slutshaming tweet). Yes of course that shit has always been there.

Sad Puppies 1 and 2 may reflect that idea. The relationship between GG and SPG is diffuse of course — but somehow, I think the number of assholes is limited enough that we might find the same people fighting in both wars.

I'm still certain that sci-fi, as a time-honored narrative form with diversity and cultural analogy at its very center, is making mincemeat of the puppies, with an adequate backlash on the 'other' cultural war.

Yeah, these sectors probably have a huge overlap in this way. The past few years have been a huge cultural clash online, and I saw some of it date back to the dickwolves moment as well. 

Yeah, these sectors probably have a huge overlap in this way. The past few years have been a huge cultural clash online, and I saw some of it date back to the dickwolves moment as well. 

Yeah I feel like Dickwolves was year 0 clawing out some inclusive space in the internet era. 

Reminds me of this.

That timeline would be so unbelievably cluttered right now if it was still being maintained.

*sigh*

Still it would be a nice thing to have. :mellow:

A lengthy evaluation of Sad Puppy manifesto:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2015/04/09/the-sad-puppies-are-goddamned-idiots/

"Idiots" is not even particular hyperbole. These are sci-fi fans who don't understand sci-fi.

Here's the strategy of vote manipulation laid out for the puppy followers. Note how in this outlet, "the SJW" is the enemy figure that basically justifies obliterating basic democratic structures:

http://monsterhunternation.com/2015/02/02/sad-puppies-3-the-slatening/

Militarist puppy anthem, 8chan style:

https://otherwheregazette.wordpress.com/2015/04/10/the-sad-puppy-anthem/

Won't tell you what that reminds a German of, I really wont.

Linking to Martin's blog again, this time to a later part. What Martin literally says here is that the puppies' entire quarrels are simply made up.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/418285.html

Central quote:

There was never any need for Sad Puppies to "take back" the Hugos. The feminists, minorities, literary cliques, and Social Justice Warriors never took them in the first place. That's a myth, as the actual facts I have cited here prove conclusively.

In the exact same way, gamergate is fighting to regain what they never even remotely came close to losing.

The sci-fi world, I'm convinced, will listen to reason. It will not continue to stumble in the dark like my dearest games culture.

Just a couple things I saw via Twitter.

First, GaymerX doesn't want anything to do with GamerGate, and GG is doing their thing with that.

Second, GamerGate is now making transgender-outing an actual thing they aim to do. They call it "truegendering."

What a bunch of losers.

Second, GamerGate is now making transgender-outing an actual thing they aim to do. They call it "truegendering."

BUT WE ARE STILL DEFINITELY AN ACCEPTING MOVEMENT ABOUT DIVERSITY AND NOT TRANSPHOBIC IN THE LEAST Y'ALL.

'Truegendering'. Is this actually a thing? Like, how generalized is the support for this super obvious and overt bigotry?

Just a couple things I saw via Twitter.

First, GaymerX doesn't want anything to do with GamerGate, and GG is doing their thing with that.

What a bunch of losers.

BUT WE ARE STILL DEFINITELY AN ACCEPTING MOVEMENT ABOUT DIVERSITY AND NOT TRANSPHOBIC IN THE LEAST Y'ALL.

'Truegendering'. Is this actually a thing? Like, how generalized is the support for this super obvious and overt bigotry?

I really hope support for this is not widespread, it's been a horrific year for the trans community:

http://www.advocate.com/politics/transgender/2015/02/20/miami-seventh-trans-woman-murdered-us-2015

http://www.advocate.com/politics/transgender/2015/04/07/london-police-search-suspect-murder-trans-woman-visiting-us

Oh, they'll accept you, once you define yourself in terms that are acceptable to them.

And honestly, that's not surprising. So much of #GamerGate comes from 4chan, a subculture obsessed with the concept of "traps," feminine men who trick straight men into having sex with them, then either blackmail them for money or a relationship, lest they make public the fact that said straight men have had "gay" sex. It's so obviously something that's been made up entirely out of the anxieties of your typical teenage homophobe, and yet it resonates so strongly with them that many cannot even think of another reason why anyone would be trans, beside to be a "trap."

I don't ever want to take their side, but if you look closer at the screencapped reddit post it was made a month ago and only received 3 points. It's awful as hell, but luckily it doesn't seem to have taken hold.

As I mentioned before, I'm a bit ambivalent on Sarah and AMIB and its because of tweets like that. They do a good job of exposing the really shitty sides of GG, but it's often presented in a way that makes it seem like a much bigger thing than it really is. It can serve to misinform people who are opposed to GG, and most certainly just enrages GG.

Yeah, but part of the problem with GG is they have no interest in forming a coherent narrative, as befits their status as a reactionary mob who can't come right out and say that they don't like women doing things.