JonCole

"Ethics and Journalistic Integrity"

So, I'm just going to leave this here because I think it speaks for itself. 

If someone could assemble a list of the @TheBlockBot's admins, pls do so we can contact them politely with questions.

— Mark Kern (@Grummz) March 17, 2015

It's basically a subscription list of people to block. BlockTogether was the first iteration of this kind of thing, where you could basically subscribe to any person's (well, anyone who participates in the service) list of people they block. The Block Bot is kinda an evolution of that idea, where it's a list curated by a number of people who recommend people to the list or take people off based on feedback from people who use it. It's a collaborative, democratized version of the idea of a single person's block list.

Jon, I think you mean a collaborative, democratized version of fascist refusal to read tweets from unpleasant people.

It's really bad... it's bad enough to willfully ignore that you are followed by people that will bully others and do nothing to mitigate it, it's rather awful of TB and Kern and all these others to actively egg them on and pretend they're not. That's before we get into other, valid, reasons they're terrible.

Anyway. He will insist he was "polite" after initiating this unrequested dialogue while making it clear the horrific abuse that will come at the exact same time has nothing to do with him.

Oh man so somebody wants to sue... I dunno, someone else, because they've been blocked on Twitter. How is that even a case?

"As you can see your honor, they blocked me on Twitter, preventing me from mouthing off my tired bullshit. Please award me millions of dollars."

Edit - OH MAN there's more. So it's some dude named Grimachu. The following link details why he's a detestable person. Remember folks, ethics in games journalism.

http://ettinjiggywithit.tumblr.com/post/100143582073/the-deal-with-desborough

I imagine his next case will be to sue anyone who doesn't follow him on Twitter.

Isn't Grimachu Slade Villena? I can't even keep these fucklords straight.

Edit: Oh I guess he's a different pervert harasser game dev or something

The lingo in this thread and 'gate stuff in general is making it unreadable without googling gamergate terms, which is the last thing I want to do.

The lingo in this thread and 'gate stuff in general is making it unreadable without googling gamergate terms, which is the last thing I want to do.

Please refrain from Googling anything Gamergate related. All questions should be fielded to communities you know and trust.

I think Slade is that R*gueSt*r fellow. Hard to tell garbage golems apart though.

See this is what I'm talking about!

Hold on, I'll get Ice T in here to school you on some Gamer Acronyms.

"You tellin' me this dude gets off on ethics in gaming journalism?"

"You tellin' me this dude gets off on ethics in gaming journalism?"

Thanks, Ben! That made me chuckle out loud in the office! :tup:

While I still have to write up a longer piece about Liana Kerzner's three part strawman series on Tropes vs. Women, the "Moot vs. Gamergate" article is quite interesting — in a good way.

Ironically, the thing that Poole claims drove him out of his own website was a demand for accountability using the tactics and terms of the language 4chan helped popularize: Gamergate. Gamergate revolted against Poole's sudden reversal on his laisse-faire, insidious shaping of the imageboard. Many channers are under the impression that Poole was a hands-off manager of 4chan until recently. This is not the case. Creating and allowing the /b/ board to continue was a conscious act. Allowing things to stay on the board is a conscious act. Hot Wheels understands and owns this. Poole ducks responsibility for it.

The reality is that Gamergaters were right to be confused by Poole's rejection of the tactics he popularized. I can totally understand the belief that the "Five Guys" posters were doing "nothing wrong" even though the behaviour was horrifying to anyone not familiar with 4chan norms.

Not that those lot of words are communicating the pinnacle of a sophisticated theory here. 4chan actively created a culture of abject assholes, but as soon as legal as well as moral accountability seemed to pop up at the horizon, Christopher commanded cesspool censorship. That's pretty much exactly what I was saying for six months.

Least he didn't Andrew Ryan it.

Doesn't strike me as a leap. As Leigh Alexander wrote: "When you decline to create or to curate a culture in your spaces, you're responsible for what spawns in the vacuum." The idea that inaction and inattention do not put you above reproach is written into our societies on a very basic level, see also the concept of criminal negligence.

Things to disagree with in your post:

- people aren't to a significant degree product of their environment

- if x didn't do [horrible thing] someone else would have

- if you do a shitty thing as a teenager you are then not allowed/able to stop doing that shitty thing

Ugh, 4chan is a horrible website that allows awful people to get together and post awful things.

It's bad.

There is really no reason to defend 4chan.