JonCole

"Ethics and Journalistic Integrity"

I didn't manage to stomach the whole rant, but I didn't notice that they revealed their gender in that point, or did they?

Good point, actually! The poster's gender isn't revealed at any point; I just assumed male based on the tone of the post, but that's mostly my personal prejudices, I think. Although yeah, as Bjorn said, the aversion to hugging does sort of point towards an overt masculinity.

Good point, actually! The poster's gender isn't revealed at any point; I just assumed male based on the tone of the post, but that's mostly my personal prejudices, I think. Although yeah, as Bjorn said, the aversion to hugging does sort of point towards an overt masculinity.

I don't have any bias in that respect. But it's a coder/programmer, obviously, which should also narrow it down, and his/her native language possibly isn't English. So there is that. His shock at experiencing unisex bathrooms does place him in a country with considerably more traditional values though.

But there's not really any need to find and bag the guy. He's probably in his mid-40s maybe even 50s, seeing all the young people around. Some of them don't even know a programming language, which obviously is all game developmen is about (maybe he should ask Hideo Kojiama or Hironobu Sakaguchi the same question he wanted to ask Sarkeesian). All that ranting about dyed hair and hugs and hipsters — you really can't have a proper conversation about Cocos2D with these guys. And those indies, too many indies! They even dare to book hotels. Do you still remember the good old days when every single studio was either Electronic Arts or in the process of being bought by them? Those were the days, my friend, you really didn't see any hipsters at GDC back then.

As to Sarkeesian and Quinn sitting in the VIP lounge... maybe it's more a VEP lounge, a very endangered person thing. All envy, zero consideration.

Pathetic whiner.

/edit: So how does a "throwaway account" get a "verified dev" label from reddit?

Of all possible things to be a gatekeeping asshole over... dyed hair? Really?

It's a dog whistle. Comments on dyed hair mean "these people are basically Randi Harper and Zoe Quinn". Dyed hair is a way GG refers to them without "touching the poop" as those fuckheads would say. 

I saw a lot of hugging, A LOT of hugging between indie devs. Literal physical hugboxing. That is all.

Again, this is an ableist *chan code that means "these people are in the corrupt Progressive Indie Game Devs clique and probably have tumblr accounts".

Maybe this guy is a dev with some experience (I doubt it), but he's definitely a dyed in the wool gator. The way he talks about "the good old says" when real men used real coding languages to make real games and weirdo hipsters having to "earn" the right to be weirdo hipsters sounds like what someone in their early twenties thinks making games was like 10 years ago. 

on top of what was said, every era of gaming had games made in other engines, if we're looking at the early golden age of sierra/lucasarts they were made with in house engines/not coded from scratch.

are we ruling out game made with unreal? source? idtech?

are we ruling out game made with unreal? source? idtech?

I'm not knocking Game Maker, HTML, Flash, or Unity developers, but I can say the bottom line is it's certainly attracted quite a lot of riff raff.

Unreal is definitely in there. And while his claim is that he isn't hating on all of them, it's all too clear that he implicitly unloads contempt on developers who mostly thrive on their creativity — art, animation, narrative, dialog — instead of their direct contributions to the technology, his video game developer raison d'être par excellence. It's the dark side, obviously.

The way he's looking down on these people, we'd rather search our mystery dev in the AAA or at the very least AA industry — i.e.  the ones who profit from keeping the gamergate controversy up and running.

..who THE FUCK is "riff raff". Who?!

Which is weird, because the best thing for this industry is when we stopped assuming that developers should be coding their own engines instead of focusing on their core competencies. We're at a point now where designers that are good at design and writing can use Twine to make a game that's pure writing and design, and we get good games quicker. I remember in the early 2000s reading a blog post by a popular tech blogger wondering why many video game companies spent so much time writing their own engines when there were only a handful of companies for whom their engine was a selling point.

Also apparently PAX is handling the Brianna Wu thing, but she was only there for 30 minutes and a Gator still manages to find her. WTF.

Which is weird, because the best thing for this industry is when we stopped assuming that developers should be coding their own engines instead of focusing on their core competencies.

In other words, the industry is growing up.

By the way, I've been looking into the first link provided in that reddit post. It eventually arrives at a site that details a "feminist programming language". I'm halfway thinking the author of the reddit post thinks that he's linking to a feminist attack on his very own professional domain while in fact it's only just trolling:

https://gitorious.org/c-plus-equality/c-plus-equality/source/cefcfb4276889bd3833c539225a9cdfd3eb16d33:

(The linked to site "feminist software foundation" does not exist)

https://bitbucket.org/site/master/issue/8629/harassing-repository

https://twitter.com/selenamarie/status/411663816833773568

In other words, our mystery developer is linking to a harrassment campaign.

If he's not that oblivious, it's possible he wrote up that crap himself.

..who THE FUCK is "riff raff". Who?!

He had that radio station in Saints Row IV.

I saw a lot of hugging, A LOT of hugging between indie devs. Literal physical hugboxing. That is all.

Again, this is an ableist *chan code that means "these people are in the corrupt Progressive Indie Game Devs clique and probably have tumblr accounts".

It's bizarrely demonizing indie devs and tumblr users, but how is that ableist?

All it needs is a crying Statue of Liberty in there somewhere.

It's bizarrely demonizing indie devs and tumblr users, but how is that ableist?

It's a reference to this http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hug_machine

Channers and ggers pride themselves on their "everyone scream their opinion in each others face until everyone is screaming the same thing" version of debate and intellectual rigor (also at the root of the sealion phenomenon). Any community which doesn't "debate" in this style (ie: progressives) is a "hugbox".

Tim Schafer has been got to, everyone! Anita Sarkeesian, who has a big nose and that's why we draw those cartoons, they have nothing to do with the centuries of anti-semitic lampooning they appear to reference, is bankrolling him! She has corrupted him with her Kickstarter money!

Some people aren't well. I'm honestly not sure the person that drew that cartoon is a well person. The gamergate "movement" or whatever it's supposed to be enables people either being simply awful or (as we've seen now more than once) people that need help being egged on to do things that are not helpful for them or those around them. I do not understand how these people do not see this.

I go along with earlier comments though that the main impetus has been lost (if there was truly any real momentum at any point). It's till extraordinarily worrying, and it makes me feel bad for Anita Sarkeesian and others that are targeted. Even if you become mostly blase about this abuse (which is itself depressing) it can't ever be completely easy to deal with. I know I wouldn't like cartoons mocking my looks and attacking my character like this.

Also (sorry to triple post) how nuts is it that they've still found a way to channel their rage over a speech Tim Schafer gave into attacking a woman?

So I've been thinking about it and I think I've narrowed down the identity of the guy on the last page who doesn't understand the function of hugs.

Wtf is going on at pax right now? Twitter makes it sounds like the Enforcers have been taken over by gators or something

The PA guys have kind of not been doing anything to discourage gater-like behavior at PAX since the Dickwolves fiasco. This is just payoff on something I expected to happen months ago.

The PA guys also had a really shitty response to GG, back around October where the thing reached enough of a critical mass to force the big publications to actually say something, even if it was just "harassment is bad". 

It starts by denouncing death and rape threats, and then turns into this:

Not only can you not do that because you can’t fucking do it, it has the power to obliterate everything else you say.  In fact, it obliterates everything the people around you are trying to say.  That’s what has happened now.  I know that this situation is more complex than anyone is willing to enunciate.  I know that “Gaming Journalism” is a contradiction in terms.  But they’ve broken your banner, now, and you helped them do it.  I grieve for the ones who tried to do it right.  When your media doesn’t represent you, or actively attacks you as it has here, it’s not your media.  You’ll have to make your own, and it’s not impossible.  It’s more possible now than it has ever been in human history, and you’re reading an example of it at this moment.  Go your own way.

And, yeah, that dickwolves thing.  The last time I saw it even mentioned basically confirmed they didn't learn a goddamn thing from that incident.

I was done with PAX after I saw this - it's from a PAX 2013 panel with the PA people. If you don't want to bother watching the ~2 minutes, Mike Krahulik/Gabe says that pulling the Dickwolves merchandise from the store (the T-Shirt and pendant that said "Team Dickwolf," aka "Team Rapist") was a mistake. Now, I mean, that sentiment alone is pretty shitty, but whatever, dude's a pretty shitty guy, I can deal with that. It's what happens right afterwards that always makes me close that browser tab instantly and swear off PAX for the rest of my life, which is that the audience erupts into elated cheering in support of the dude who wishes he had kept selling "Team Rapist" T-Shirts for people to buy and wear proudly at PAX. There's no way I'd ever feel safe in a convention center full of people willing to cheer for that bullshit.

The PA guys themselves may not be doing anything but I do know the community admin isn't going to tolerate any GamerGate shit on the forum. As evidenced by a tweet he made in response to GamerGate people saying they need to find allies on the PA website itself.

But yeah. Mike and Jerry try to play things out as if they are politicians, which is the wrong way to handle anything in life. It's frustrating.

I just don't understand why you wouldn't want to just PAY people to provide security for the con versus unvetted volunteers from the community.