JonCole

"Ethics and Journalistic Integrity"

Ayn Rand would be ashamed.

To the Make your own t-shirt shop!

I can't stop reading. I know there's no point in schadenfreude, and that it's tantamount to gossip, but it's so good.

That last quote from the comments was my daily dose for realizing how far removed to a different reality these guys are. Anita Sarkeesian has been a regular fixture in my corner of the internet for almost three years, and she's definitely not going anywhere. Davis Aurini appeared out of nowhere during #GamerGate, blatantly to exploit the movement's hatred of Sarkeesian, and really just dips in and out of the periphery of my consciousness, not to mention that a meltdown like this shows how close he is to vanishing at any given time.

It's kind of amazing to me that Aurini would post, on his own blog, chat logs that make Owen out to be the much more reasonable and level-headed of the two, and himself as a Roosh-idolising sycophant. A lack of self-awareness is kind of characteristic of the movement at this point, though.

IIRC, Roosh got continuously turned down because Denmark has unusually strong social services especially weighted toward helping women, so none of them are desperate/stupid/socially pressured enough to fall for his bullshit.

Ah, here's the article.

I read this back when it was published, and my response was, 'Yeah. Fuck yeah. Denmark!'

I've always thought that Owen seemed more the misguided sad sack and Aurini the frustrated incompetent supervillain

That's pretty much their dynamic, yeah. A friend of mine described Aurini as a sad, sad copy of the Illusive Man and that continues to be on point.

I started reading those Skype logs, and I was surprised to see that Owen was not on board with PUA bullshit.

MRAs and PUAs frequently call each other names without noticing the overlaps in audience and philosophy, to my knowledge. So MRAs for instance call PUAs douchebags for treating women poorly even though it's exactly in line with the kind of political system they dream of, and PUAs think of MRAs as weak-ass betas (or however their hateful terminology goes) for needing the support of rules and regulations in order to mistreat women instead of just getting them under control themselves, like real men (barf). MRAs are frequently in denial about how harmful and oppressive their demands are and see them as a way of correcting for perceived privileges of women, so they might still balk at something like PUA philosophy (also for reasons of them sometimes wanting to return to a system of romantic chivalry or other outdated ideals). Meanwhile PUAs think that subjugating women should be a personal act demonstrating the power of the individual, so wanting any help there is a sign that you're not as good at it as them (as indeed has been the accusation that Aurini threw at Owen, right? Jealousy and being unable to "relate to women easily"?)

Massive airquotes around """""""relate"""""""" obviously.

Also: BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARF

It's kind of amazing to me that Aurini would post, on his own blog, chat logs that make Owen out to be the much more reasonable and level-headed of the two, and himself as a Roosh-idolising sycophant. A lack of self-awareness is kind of characteristic of the movement at this point, though.

This months-long trainwreck has shown time and again how unexamined these people's lives are by their own selves. With the "Burgers and Fries" chat log, with this chat log, and with every other attempt to show how some asshole was going from Point A to Point B and ended up stuck in the mud instead, it takes any reasonable person mere seconds to see where they jumped the tracks and went sailing over the edge, but they're still dead sure that if it's possible to follow their train of thought, by dint of them having documented it in full, it's impossible not to agree with them.

I can't stop reading. I know there's no point in schadenfreude, and that it's tantamount to gossip, but it's so good. Here are some more choice quotes:

Thank you. I don't have the stomach to comb through them, but you cheered me up on a terrible morning.

As a Norwegian i find Roosh's adventures in Scandinavia hilarious. Our dating culture is largely based on initiating with a one night stand and then follow up with dating to see if this person is a great person and not just a good lay. In other words, "getting laid" is very easy there, and the fact that he is continuously rejected sure says a lot about what a huge awkward douchebag he is.

I wouldn't go to the account pictured because it is psychotic, but just pointing out one thing GamerGate is getting aggressive about: Teleprompters. They've gone full-on Sarah Palin. Someone should ask them what they read.

B_aMqOTUgAE6Qy0.png

It does seem like, having been pretty consistently confused by how the media works and how the games industry works, Gamergate is now confused by how literally everything works. I mean, is this Nathan Vela's speech? That very clearly wasn't an unscripted "rant" - it was a speech, delivered at an industry event.

See also the Mark Kern stuff about "hence the prepared sock" - perhaps the oddest phrase in the history of the English language. It seems very strange to me that it comes as a revelation that Tim Schafer wasn't just carrying a sock puppet around with him and then, on the spur of the moment, decided to make a bunch of jokes on stage at an awards ceremony, but rather that he might have planned out what he was going to say beforehand. Is he... colluding with himself?

I wouldn't go to the account pictured because it is psychotic, but just pointing out one thing GamerGate is getting aggressive about: Teleprompters. They've gone full-on Sarah Palin. Someone should ask them what they read.

This seems in line with the comparison:

2010-02-07-palinhandclose.jpg

They're trying to paint speakers as disingenuous and corporate so they can justify the idea that big truth-hiding conspiracies exist, but lacking any evidence they appeal to warping the aesthetic of "preparing a speech" and contrasting it with GG's apparent scrappyness and passion, an astroturfing strategy not seen since the days of Mao.

I'm not sure what the accusation is supposed to be there, either. Maybe they think premeditated comments are corrupt because every person must be completely open to every idea at all times, rediscovering them every second of their lives and forming a one-second opinion before discarding that and judging it with a fresh set of eyes the next. It's the only way to remain unbiased!

I started reading those Skype logs, and I was surprised to see that Owen was not on board with PUA bullshit. He definitely seems like the lesser of the two evils,

The Sarkeesian Effect team had the appeal of an incoherent, clumsily likable rambling bum joining forces with a slick Mephistophes all too proud of his own two-bit demagoguery and exaggerated, creepy facial expressions.

Like a buddy movie with Nick Nolte and Nicolas Cage. I understand the fascination. ;)

There was never any doubt which half gets thrown under the bus if need be.

I must admit, I got curious what Roosh had actually written about Norway and Denmark, so I googled it.

Short version (and I'm not kidding):

Norway - "pro tip: make women drunk and invite them to an after party at your house. They'll stink and it's rape in the US, but it'll do."

Denmark - "had trouble getting laid, but you've got to believe me that I succeeded eventually. Well, it's the women's fault, and they're ugly anyway."

I am excited for all the announcements that got made all of GDC between Offworld, OAPI/CrashOverride team-up, etc.

Anita's talk this weekend in Sydney's going to be crackerjack.

The Sarkeesian Effect team had the appeal of an incoherent, clumsily likable rambling bum joining forces with a slick Mephistophes all too proud of his own two-bit demagoguery and exaggerated, creepy facial expressions.

Let's not go Team Jordan too quickly. He may not be a PUA, but that's a pretty low bar. He is nonetheless the creator of about 14 hours of unhinged ranting about Anita Sarkeesian, with a creepy fixity of purpose that made her pick him out as an example in her XOXO speech. 

Remember kids, he is still just as much of an asshole, the skull guy has just been revealed to be an even bigger one than previously thought.

Aurini is an Omega-level asshole. He gets his power from skulls.

Owen has always struck me as one of those "I'm a nice guy who's been spurned ONE TOO MANY TIMES" type of cartoon characters. Not in that he seems nice, but he seems to have that sort of sad sack vibe where he just doesn't have the patience for real life anymore, so he takes out his anger on those who have hurt him in the past (i.e., women). Through hours of YouTube videos.

It's a bit more sympathetic, and comes off as more of a sort of mental issue than Aurini's straight up comic villainy.

Note that when I say sympathetic it just means I can sort of see the path he took to assholery, whereas Aurini was probably built that way from the beginning. I feel sorry for him, but I don't feel that excuses his behavior at all. Just to be clear!

Let's not go Team Jordan too quickly. He may not be a PUA, but that's a pretty low bar. He is nonetheless the creator of about 14 hours of unhinged ranting about Anita Sarkeesian, with a creepy fixity of purpose that made her pick him out as an example in her XOXO speech.

Oh, don't get me wrong. Owen's cuddly, type helpless puppy, but his head is full to the brim with crap. Whoever goes with the SJW conspiracy theory isn't on my team, that's for sure.

BTW, I summed up the reaxxion article for some gaters. I think they didn't understand. So much hate! Need to go back and explain the Sarkeesian Effect as well.

It tells us in minute detail how the protagonist and hero of the entire story, Daryush Valizadeh, was unfairly attacked and His glorious virility questioned by a random incoherent bum with delusions of making it in the movie business. Not only Daryush's willing women quota was challenged, no, the confused bum has in fact spread the vicious lie that the godfather of pickup had not scored in Denmark, like, AT ALL. Can y'all believe that? I'm not lying to you.

Previously, Daryush (manhood 59cm/3.1 kilo/8.2 times per hour) had published a satirical satire article on His blog, containing extreme amounts of completely satirical satire in a satirical way by satirically suggesting the legalisation of rape, but seriously only in the private home, and that article bore no resemblance to Daryush's previous philantropist/educational travelogues (and Jonathan Swift something). And drunk Bum thought sex god Daryush, smirking under His playfully unkempt beard, really meant all that stuff! Depressed Bum, probably impotent, made a confused, rambling heretic video about the lord saviour, painful 5,063 seconds long, so much worse than his usual confused, rambling videos!

Reaxxion ethics officer Sam Roberts (who, as a manly man, absolutely doesn't sleep with the beautiful seductive Daryush) delves into just appraisal of his patron, lauding His willingness and great sacrifice to leave His promising professional career behind to explore the art of picking up women and to in fact illuminate other, so much less manly men about His enlightened and extremely successful ways, mostly free of charge. For a man like Roberts, there is no shame in continuously praising the uncontested virility of another man, at least not Daryush (or "Roosh V." for his closest friends).

He could have brought even disgusting Bum into the light of sexual bliss, but Bum outright rejected his own salvation.

Aurini is kind of sad to me because he also looks like the product of an deep seated identity crisis or great masculine overcompensation that drives him to seek solace in the fantasy of being a cradle fingered, not-trying-at-all alpha male.

He's like the kid that wears a trenchcoat, eats alone at lunch and pretends he has special powers, except he's a grown ass man.

HEY!  I wear a trenchcoat and like to pretend I have special powers. 

The whole exchange feels like some weird Dadaist performance art.

Aurini is kind of sad to me because he also looks like the product of an deep seated identity crisis or great masculine overcompensation that drives him to seek solace in the fantasy of being a cradle fingered, not-trying-at-all alpha male.

He's like the kid that wears a trenchcoat, eats alone at lunch and pretends he has special powers, except he's a grown ass man.

His weird "to camera" mode is incredibly creepy, and I'm not sure he understands just how creepy it is. That's before he even starts saying awful things.