JonCole

"Ethics and Journalistic Integrity"

Fair enough - the cancer/chemo tweet I've seen really rubs me the wrong way though. :wacko:

I can totally see that, it made me wince. I think one of the interesting things about bots is they'll make a hundred dross or nonsense tweets, then accidentally come up with something really funny.

I'm generally suspicious of Markov bots because they're almost always nonsense - but Randi Harper's Markov bots are incredible. She has one that's just her, and one's that's all the gaters she's blocked, and they've had multiple people waste hours angrily having conversations with them despite them being clearly marked as bots. They argue with each other because they're not programmed to stop.

That TB rant about how much we should respect devs, and that he chose Irrational Games of all places, is especially rich since he actually silenced one of their employees.

Hah. Thanks to Biscuit's deity, there IS no Irrational Games studio to speak of.

I just had the hilarious realization that Total Biscuit is Jim Sterlings persona made flesh.

Thank god for him, and his two billion YouTube subscribers.

So GG was doing organized spamming of the GDC Twitter hashtag, which led to devs using the autoblocker in order to make it useable again. And now they are mad at them for participating in censorship.

You can't make this shit up.

Yeah - I wasn't sure what the intention was, there. Mark Kern encouraged GGers to post tweets beginning "I support a free and fair press because..." to the GDC hashtag, with the promise of an e-celeb retweet, because... game developers need to see that when they're trying to organise drinks with other game devs in a time-limited situation? If it was aiming for anything other than getting a whole bunch of devs to be irritated by and then filter out the word "gamergate", I'm not sure what it was.

OTOH, I'm finding Mark Kern's contribution a bit bewildering overall - in that sort of "is this performance art?" way that the Internet does sometimes. Like, when he tweeted

Perhaps the women suffrage movement or civil rights movement should have just "stuck to their own press" you know, like black newspapers.

Like, what? It's not even the comparisons of Gamergate to the great civil rights movements of the 19th and 20th centuries (because at this point, sure, who hasn't suggested that the dream Dr King really had was Gamergate, but he had to edit the speech because of the powerful SJW lobby who ran the South in the 1950s and 60s). It's just... I mean what on Earth does that mean? What is he suggesting people should do? What advice is he rejecting? I genuinely have no idea.

I feel like I'm watching the birth of how video game enthusiasts will attach themselves to the Republican party.

Edit - Excuse me, how SOME video game enthusiasts, that identify as "gamers" while spewing hateful shit and destroying the English language, will attach themselves to the Republican party.

I feel like I'm watching the birth of how video game enthusiasts will attach themselves to the Republican party.

Edit - Excuse me, how SOME video game enthusiasts, that identify as "gamers" while spewing hateful shit and destroying the English language, will attach themselves to the Republican party.

The birth? Honey, we're definitely into the toddling phase

The more I read about this the more the gamergate stuff reminds me of The Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood.

They were a bunch of privileged white guys who were appalled at how accessible art (this is my conclusion on their approach to disseminating their work) was becoming with the advances of the industrial age.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-Raphaelite_Brotherhood

The Sarkeesian effect guys are breaking up. It seems the one handling the money tried to fire the other, and it shockingly didn't go very well.

TLDW: Jordan Owen is cutting ties with Davis Aurini, and it's illuminating all sorts of shit about their working relationship and budgeting.

Aurini blackmailing Owen now over the SALARIES they've been taking. It's almost as if their use of their budget was really unprofessional!

Seems the makers of THE SARKEESIAN EFFECT didn't sign contracts with each other over the *thousands of dollars a month* they were receiving.

https://twitter.com/mistertodd/status/572723003861045248
https://twitter.com/mistertodd/status/572725585656459264
https://twitter.com/mistertodd/status/572726145411514369
https://twitter.com/mistertodd/status/572726922163044353

"I would like to handle post-production here in Atlanta..."

Post-production of what?

Also, "I know this is going to be a 'let's break the Internet' moment."

301+ views. 

I feel the Aurini/Davis partnership may be less of an internet-breaking duo when exposed than Kim Kardashian's buttocks. Is all I'm saying.

Also, "I know this is going to be a 'let's break the Internet' moment."

301+ views. 

Not disagreeing that he's being tremendously self important, but youtube videos are always stuck at 301+ views for a while after they're first submitting. If you see a video at 301+ views, that just means it's relatively new. Accurate counts above 301+ don't kick in until later. I think it has something to do with preventing artificial inflation of view counts, or something? I don't remember.

I'm torn between schadenfreude because two assholes are in a public fight that hurts both of them and being depressed because they're still getting $9000/month to do this.

I'm torn between schadenfreude because two assholes are in a public fight that hurts both of them and being depressed because they're still getting $9000/month to do this.

Well from the sounds of it only one of them's getting the money now. So that's better at least, right?

Not disagreeing that he's being tremendously self important, but youtube videos are always stuck at 301+ views for a while after they're first submitting. If you see a video at 301+ views, that just means it's relatively new. Accurate counts above 301+ don't kick in until later. I think it has something to do with preventing artificial inflation of view counts, or something? I don't remember.

That's true, and I'm forsaking accuracy in the rush to giggle. But "two right-wing MRAs fall out" is hardly earth-shattering news. The far right and the MRA movement spend all their time having public fights, forming factions, squabbling over Patreon/adsense dollars, dramatically falling out and making up. It's basically like Sweet Valley High with far, far fewer women.

Aurini and his ex-friend cannot hope to compete with llamas breaking free and a fucking dress, sorry to say.

"Oh my God, Cossette, you can't just ask someone why they're not your shield!"

this is the first internet thing I read today.

gonna be a good day :)

Yeah - I wasn't sure what the intention was, there.

I guess this is just more evidence of their spectacular talents of self-delusion, applied to convincing themselves that even though people have been rightfully dismissive of their complaints, they'll surely change their opinion if only they throw the exact same complaints at them a little more insistently. It's quite befuddling to any reasonable person, of course, but then this entire movement seems to be channeling the gross dude in a bar who thinks that somebody moving away from him and telling him to get lost is just playing hard to get. And while going home alone, he convinces himself that, no really, it was for the best (as GG has of course responded in the expected manner to their plan backfiring and gone "NO U AR A BACKFIRE" because widespread use of the autoblocker is going to end up hurting devs and "expose" media corruption... somehow).

If we're going to make a high school movie out of gg, can't it at least be Heathers.