JonCole

"Ethics and Journalistic Integrity"

Claire Hosking posted this great article on Polygon:

http://www.polygon.com/2015/2/19/8068937/gaming-reputation-fix

It's time to learn how to handle criticism better as players. We need to foster a community that reacts with proportionality to things it doesn’t like. Sending people on Twitter heaps of hostility and venom because they criticized something about games only confirms most people’s stereotypes that playing violent games makes gamers belligerent.

Claire Hosking posted this great article on Polygon:

http://www.polygon.com/2015/2/19/8068937/gaming-reputation-fix

And then subsequently her twitter account disappeared. We followed each other on twitter, so I got a little bit worried and found this post about how her's is "the new account you should look at" from a GamerGater. I hope she's ok and this was just a pre-emptive twitter break after writing that article.

But at the same time, if that's the case it sucks that she even has to do that. :( :(

Finding out someone's account has disappeared is quite distressing, but finding out they are literally hunting her down? Yikes! D:

Oh for fuck's sake.

She got into a bit of an argument with a guy in the comments called Rommel02 but he was basically being an arse because he kept saying 'That is just the way it is and you shouldn't complain' and her response was very reasonably 'To consider toxicity as a constant is bullshit.'

Oh for fuck's sake.

She got into a bit of an argument with a guy in the comments called Rommel02 but he was basically being an arse because he kept saying 'That is just the way it is and you shouldn't complain' and her response was very reasonably 'To consider toxicity as a constant is bullshit.'

I saw that! Elsewhere in the comments, he was arguing the new line for "middle ground and/or status quo" crowd, which is that #GamerGate would have just gone away if the gaming press had ignored it. When someone pointed out that the gaming press did ignore it for two months and that those two months were the period of its greatest and most violent activity, he simply said, "Well, it'd go away now if the press ignored it." These people who want to blame victims and bystanders rather than those actually engaged in wrongdoing, there's literally nothing you can say to make them reconsider, is there?

Haha. I checked out Wardell's twitter feed to see what was going on with him chasing down criticism and saw he recently retweeted this. https://twitter.com/Totalbiscuit/status/568601258921054208

Sounded kind of familiar and then I remembered that this was posted to KiA about 5 hours before he said that. https://i.imgur.com/gttaDou.png

Like this would be kind of cute if it was just an isolated incident, but it has been truly bizarre watching TB go deeper and deeper down the rabbit hole of parroting practically every GG talking point (usually on the same day it's circulated on KiA or some other GG hub) while """""""""staying neutral"""""""""" this whole time. The guy lectures people on rejecting labels, reading broadly, and trying to have nuanced opinions, but so many of his positions are regurgitated directly from the GG/MRA/angry internet man hivemind that the sentiment is rendered meaningless. The only notable difference is he doesn't use the term "SJW," presumably because he knows a tad more about public image than the average internet shithead and realises it makes him sound silly and out of touch.

Yeah, she disabled it temporarily because apparently without a target to yell at GamerGators get bored quickly. :tup:

(Didn't stop some known harasser making a video about her, though..) :tdown:

I mean, the guy left in charge fully buys into the "cultural marxism" bullshit. Was responsible from sourcing the "[male] game developers talk about gamergate" directly from GG/4chan. So... yeah, not surprised.

... Does anyone still cringe internally whenever they type out "gamergate"? I mean... fucking gamergate. How did that even happen.

Many people just type "GG" to avoid being hassled by GamerGaters, I'm reluctant to type it fully out of the forum myself. : (

PAX is Latin and means peace.

Just sayin'. : (

Post-Dickwolves fiasco and especially right now, I've come to associate PAX with that other PAX:

Uhm, examples?

They announced two new people coming on board.  One of them is LizzyF, who is a GG member despite the fact that she got doxxed and had that passed around on baphomet.  The other is Brandon Morse, a right-wing blogger who founded the site Misfit Politics (which looks like its been abandoned because the last post was from June 2014).  Here's a post of his that's on the front page: Brutally Honest Things I (and other men) Truly Think About “Feminism.”

In case you don't want to click that link (and I wouldn't blame you), here's his last paragraph which sums up what a shit he is pretty nicely:

Feminists say they want “equality.” That’s a lie. What they want is neutrality if not dominance for themselves. Nature can’t and won’t abide the feminist idea of masculine and feminine, and honestly neither will us men. We honestly find the idea laughable and stupid. I’m willing to bet most women do too.

Many people just type "GG" to avoid being hassled by GamerGaters, I'm reluctant to type it fully out of the forum myself. : (

I noticed recently someone calling them gagas, which is the sound that babies make.  Kinda appropriate.

Huh, I just came here after reading the tweet everybody is posting... It's rather sad to see The Escapist become a GamerGate friendly site. Then again, did anybody here even go to site for anything but the video content? I only went there for LRR at first. :\

It's, in a way, great that Fogarty (Lizzy) comes back in any kind of official role after her dox on gamergater training camp sites. She is, after all, one of the victims of this terrible mess.

However, as to her "views"... particularly on Quinn ("an abuser", guilty because she has failed to "dispute" Gjoni's remote terrorism epos) and Sarkeesian's TvW series ("A large amount of the material is misinterpretation, removal of contradictory facts, and cherry-picking, which is easily identified by people who have played the games covered")

...all your standard sub 60 IQ gamergater nonsense with a good bit of slutshaming in the mix. :tdown:

Lizzy also aggressively harassed several trans women on Twitter, as well. So.

Ooooops I was unaware of that. I really need more links and stuff. : (

I could easily find an AVFM article, but do think that there is exactly one Lizzy article on reaxxion, and it's an interview, not an article she has written.

Well what I know was literally just discussed on people's personal Twitter accounts, so I'll see if I can dig up a Storify or something.