JonCole

"Ethics and Journalistic Integrity"

Wow that's... special. Like at first I was like "huh this is pretty accurate" and then I was like "huh this is basically exactly what's happening every day right now" and then I was like "wait she's REFUSING PROTECTION???" and welp.

Welp.

I mean it's TV and she has to get hurt some how so of course she's going to. Welp.

It's inconceivable that they ever depict law enforcement as inadequate for the threat or unable to do the job, of course.

Mostly makes me think of bipolar disorder. Both the initial video he took and the edited follow-up feel like the results of manic episodes.

Yeah, it's "real".

The guy really threatened Wu on twitter, the guy really crashed his mom's car, the guy really said he'd bring weapons to her house ("just to scare her"), the guy really thought Wu just bought a motorcycle to "race him", he probably really went through some US army service, and now he thinks Wu tried to kill him by somehow manipulating his car into slipping on ice, which in the US is something cars usually do not do.

Is "welcome to gamergate" too cynical here? Because Patrick might be one hundred percent accurate in his assumption.

To top it all, I've already seen the conspiracy theory that Wu has staged the whole thing.

I realize a lot of the supporters have unchecked mental disorders, but this just seems like it's being played up for yucks. Some sort of extreme post-modern performance art piece on Youtube. It just seems impossible that somebody would be stupid enough to cop to "street racing" in a Prius on an icy road publicly.

I don't know.

Isn't this like saying "I cut my finger while running towards Anita with the knife I was going to stab her with! IT'S HER FAULT!".

Is there a word for when something is equally ridiculous and terrifying?

Gamergate?

*a forever slow clap*

I realize a lot of the supporters have unchecked mental disorders, but this just seems like it's being played up for yucks. Some sort of extreme post-modern performance art piece on Youtube. It just seems impossible that somebody would be stupid enough to cop to "street racing" in a Prius on an icy road publicly.

I don't know.

The guy has a bunch of other videos, and its honestly hard to tell whether it's performance art or mental illness.

I realize a lot of the supporters have unchecked mental disorders, but this just seems like it's being played up for yucks.

If that is the case, kudos to the guy for being an Academy Award winning level of actor off the bat. I think it's mostly real here – but I'm uncertain whether he really was on his way to Wu's house. That part he may have constructed for himself after the crash.

I thought it was just performance/piss taking when I watched the video, but reading a little of the site, I'm not sure Pretty sure it's trolling. If he's doing it to mock or mimic gamergate, then he's doing a very good job and potentially bringing down a world of shit on himself by making the threats he has.

Edit: Oh, surely this is a pisstake? It's almost Real Ultimate Power levels of absurd. From the about page:

• THE DEAGLE NATION LIFESTYLE is all about kicking back at the pool with the bros, cracking open a cold one, and while you’re at it, maybe even kissing a hot chick too icon_smile.gif
  • THE DEAGLE NATION LIFESTYLE is staying up all night so you can spend the entire night smoking weed and playing Call of Duty… then not even bothering to go to school the next morning!
  • THE DEAGLE NATION LIFESTYLE is secretly spending your dad’s credit card on $150 of anime swords because he doesn’t respect your life choices.

If he's sincere it's just so absurdly ratfuck, batshit gone:

https://twitter.com/ParkourDude91/status/532400282315927553

https://twitter.com/ParkourDude91/status/532400282315927553

The saddest one is the mom who raised his kid to be a liberal feminist. : (

...Would it be tasteless to wonder if a certain comedian was still alive, would GamerGate ever have happened? Or was this always a powder keg and that incident lit the fuse?

This has always been a problem, when GamerGate wasn't GamerGate yet, they were actively harassing women of all sorts on Twitter. 

Yeah GG is just an old group given name and a "pretty" face (inasmuch as they have probably attracted a fair number of new people under the guise of ETHICS!!!)

They probably didn't exist as a 'group', that's what makes that label so damn annoying. The individual people were self-righteously harrassing and hating around, but only under the gamergate umbrella did they start to feel validated and strong as a group.

Not in that way, but organized raids and hashtag bombing has been coming from 4chan and other places for a very long time. Operation Lollipop was specifically a group of MRAs and 4channers iirc, to make up feminist hashtags, etc. It eventually got uncovered with #yourslipisshowing and whatnot, and it predominantly focused on imitating feminists of color and eventually harassing them. 

But can we agree that the whole Depression Quest incident is what united them as a group? Before they were like an annoying pest, but that incident made them into a pinpoint laser of hatred and bigotry burning all it touches.

It definitely seemed to be something of a catalyst for uniting and establishing networks between hateful gamers, MRAs, sexist Metalheads and literal Nazis. Although this has also been a problem long before.

Half-relatedly: There was an incident in the German blogosphere something like two years ago when the blog of a female MRA ("See, we must be right about this, there is demonstrably at least one woman who agrees with us!") turned out to be run by a dude... from some sort of PR agency as far as I recall. The frustrating thing, as always, is that the clarifications and corrections and potential apologies that happen opposite lies and gaslighting never get carried as far as the initial message. I mean, even with the best intent this is hard to do on something like Twitter, but people who are trying to actively spread confusion can almost be certain that the news of them eventually being caught will not be as widely heard as their lies. It all ultimately banks on a definitive law of internet communication.

Scientology has always been concerned with media ethics, are they the next natural ally of Gamergate?

Part of 'gaming culture' involves being hostile toward paying for shit, and since Scientology revolves around financial investment...

Then again who fucking knows. Nazi sympathizers have been welcome allies to Gamergate.

But can we agree that the whole Depression Quest incident is what united them as a group?

Not even that, no. The same haters that went batshit crazy when Depression Quest threatened to ruin "their" Steam for them had already gathered under the Tropes vs. Women Kickstarter video in mid 2012; and Quinn had already suffered harrassment way earlier. The "group thinking", the feeling of unity and the whole pluralis sociativus speech dates from after the Baldwin label.

The frustrating thing, as always, is that the clarifications and corrections and potential apologies that happen opposite lies and gaslighting never get carried as far as the initial message.

I.e. as far as the slander, yes, that is one hundred percent correct. I said earlier in this thread how this works: The accusations remain unaltered whatever arguments you bring forth, and at one point in the discussion with gamergate all your arguments will be forgotten and everything goes back to gamergate 1.0 – that's one of the main reasons I will continue to call gamergate a "cult" with a "doctrine". And there's an extremely relevant example these days, which I'll sum up as follows:

1. Techraptor publishes Interview with Allistair Pinsof. Main 'corruption' accusations against the industry by Pinsof are hearsay.
  2. Gamergate has a fucking ball with this interview.
  3. Kotaku tracks down both central sources of the Pinsof allegations. One says that no, she didn't say that her boyfriend had rigged some irrelevant indie game award (remunerated with the grand total of $200,000 one glass boot filled with beer), and the other says that no, Phil Fish did not "steal Fez" from him. The accusatory pillars of the techraptor interview article are therewith completely obliterated.
  4. The fucking gamergate ball continues undeterred.