JonCole

"Ethics and Journalistic Integrity"

Side note about Mariska Hargitay, I don't watch SVU anymore but the fact that she has started and runs a charity that helps out rape survivors makes me really happy.

So it's officially official about Joystiq, though apparently the name/content will be rolled into Engadget?  But Alexander's tweet to a list of linkedin profiles looks like almost the entire (or it is the entire) staff is done, so that's basically meaningless except for the name kind of surviving for awhile.

Hope everyone lands on their feet as quickly as possible.

"Rolled into" = absorb all of the material in archive form so we can continue to siphon off that sweet ad and SEO revenue for our entirely robotic ad service that we also laid off our entire salesforce for. 

AOL did everyone on Joystiq dirty but at least my boyfriend is getting severance out of it. Fuck you AOL, I hope you rot in hell.

"Rolled into" = absorb all of the material in archive form so we can continue to siphon off that sweet ad and SEO revenue for our entirely robotic ad service that we also laid off our entire salesforce for.

Ah, of course, I should have assumed as much. FWIW, please pass along my well wishes to your boyfriend.

Aaaaand, in the condemning corporate shitlords sentiment, the editor of Massively said goodbye, but this point is infuriating (emphasis mine):

But for me, it's hard not to. This was a lot more than a job for me. I've worked as a lead editor at Massively for just shy of five years, half of that as its boss, and it seeped into my life and became more than a full-time job, even though none of us ever received any benefits. You know that two-week "maternity leave" I took last year when my daughter was born? That was my vacation for the whole year. And I wasn't alone in that foolishness/dedication; the Massively writers, past and present, bent over backward for the site. I flat out love these guys. I came in here as a geeky copyeditor and am leaving with a fleet of good friends and a much deeper understanding of how and why my favorite genre runs the way it does, and it will forever influence how I play games and whose games I buy.

About the SVU episode, my big fear about that is that the way they've set it up around a product launch means that they might try to make their big plot twist a revelation that the developer faked the harassment / is otherwise involved in creating the harassment in order to drum up publicity to try and drive sales.

About the SVU episode, my big fear about that is that the way they've set it up around a product launch means that they might try to make their big plot twist a revelation that the developer faked the harassment / is otherwise involved in creating the harassment in order to drum up publicity to try and drive sales.

Unnnnnnngggghhhhhhhh.....fuck.

Aaaaand, in the condemning corporate shitlords sentiment, the editor of Massively said goodbye, but this point is infuriating (emphasis mine):

It's shit like that that makes me glad I live in a country where the labour movement won.

Yeah, the thing is that most, if not all of Joystiq were contractors so no benefits, no pension, no PTO, no vacation. My boyfriend was EIC of Wow Insider and he pretty much worked like 24-7 and didn't get to take time off and paid a buttload of taxes.

Maybe Ludwig can get hired on at Polygon and I can have the Joystiq Podcast back.

Probably not, however.

Did Giant Bomb ever announce a replacement for Patrick Klepek?

Maybe Ludwig can get hired on at Polygon and I can have the Joystiq Podcast back.

Probably not, however.

Did Giant Bomb ever announce a replacement for Patrick Klepek?

GB's hiring someone in the New York office to replace Patrick.  I believe Jeff said they were going to start running interviews right after the Christmas/New Year break, and they're a big corporation, so they're probably somewhere around a third of the way to halfway through that hiring process.

In my dreams, Cara Ellison gets that spot and her, Vinny, and Alex produce some amazing content.

Cara Ellison's Top 10 was featured prominently on GB's sidebar for weeks, so I kept hoping that meant she was the top candidate.

I miss regular Caravella-laden content so much, it hurts. His painful playthrough of Far Cry 4 had me dying this week.

I thought last week's WRUP post on Joystiq was a little weird, now I know why.  Well played Alexander.

post-33601-0-08756900-1422738129_thumb.jpg

Yeah, Joystiq found out last weekend (friday to be exact) while most of their staff was on their way to PAX South. My boyfriend found out via osmosis by their internal work chat and everyone had to keep mum about their jobs being gone for at least five days. It was kinda brutal.

Meanwhile in the forums of the largest DRM free game publisher, gamergaters seem to agree that John Bain and Jim Sterling are "neutral" towards gamergate. :blink:

We all sometimes tend to refuse someone whose work you enjoy is against something else you enjoy. I'm pretty sure Jim is "anti-GG" and TB is pro-GG?

Recently, Angry(FOURHOURS)Joe posted a video about the top 10 gaming controversies and obvious GG was number one... He was neutral and insisted that GG had done some charity, so that somehow excuses all the bad thing they've done?

Obviously his video was flooded by GGers angry he was neutral and will the typical comments. 

In the video he used an image with photos of people and logos on each side. One demanded the video take down and but a copyright claim since their logo appeared. He claimed the logo was theirs, he claimed the video was defamation because he appeared as a GGer... on the image he claimed to have created.

It's rather ironic that AngryJoe was saying GG was dying down and "behaving", only to have his day ruined by GG. 

Wait, has Sterling actually taken up some of their ethics talk then? His constant talk of consumers, consumer rights and consumer advocacy (bow to the infallible consumer!) probably inspired more than a few of those self-righteous douchelords, but he also tends to to condemn that kind of thing. Although, he's certainly tight with a lot of unpleasant folk for somebody who likes to claim feminist cred.

Wait, has Sterling actually taken up some of their ethics talk then?

He has made a single video talking about journalist ethics.

Then again, he

• repeatedly asks his viewers to at least listen to Sarkeesian's arguments
  • Notably gave an interview to gamingaswomen that talks about sexism in games at length
  • made an entire video about how "gamers" have created the phenomenon Sarkeesian for themselves
  • called out Quinn's harrassers ("the wacky harrassment blame parade")
  • remarked on how it delights him to be called a Social Justice Warrior
  • called gamergaters crazy people
  • called out the gamergater lip service of his own employer
  • made a video satirizing the rampant homophobia of Dragon Age Inquisition critics

The list goes on. Make no mistake, gamergate hates him with a passion. That's why I'm laughing myself in circles about the discussion I was witnessing. Obviously, Sterling is too cool to think anything bad of the cult. So let's just believe he's neutral, mmm-kay?

Yeah, Sterling's made it clear he's not impressed with gamergaters. He's rankled a few people because he's had plenty of opportunities to fuck up and have it not ruin his career, and his Patreon did particularly well so he's kind of a reminder of how people like Maddy Myers or Liz Ryerson aren't 'wanted', but at least he's not John Bain.

I stopped following him because he still RTs Totalbiscuit and I have no room in my life for anyone who still wants to associate with him.

Hmmmmm. In January, J.F. Sterlingson had a twitter conversation with Bain, but no retweets – one Sarkeesian retweet though.

The topic of the twitter conversation was fans telling Sterling how wrong he was in his Evolve review. Which goes to ethics in the industry and the defense of critical game journalism. It is here that Bain, maybe unbeknownst to himself, still disagrees with first wave gamergaters. As stated above, his opinion on games and even on corruption in the industry was welcome to me until he started to post buttloads of imbecile social commentary and tweeted fuel into any hate war he could find. It is inherent in the gamergate victory conditions as proposed by Aurini et al. that reviewers flaunting their political opinion around are to be put out of a job (while the definition of the 'apolitical' is in the hands of gamergate). That explicitly includes Bain.

They took the promo image and used paint to scribble "SLUT" across Mariska Hargitay's forehead.

Shit. I can't tell if you're serious or joking.

Not a joke, actually happened. Don't really want to dig the image up though.

unbeknownst to himself, still disagrees with first wave gamergaters.

Perhaps, but it seems pointless to muse about what people's innate stance on such issues is. Like all the gaters claiming that sites condemning harassment are on their side, because they too are against harassment (supposedly, when they feel like it, and even though they never actually call out harassment).