JonCole

"Ethics and Journalistic Integrity"

Valve's in-house economist hasn't been Valve's in-house economist for some time now. He left a while ago. Dunno the exact date, but yeah.

The whole Joystiq thing is hitting me a bit harder this evening than I expected.  I commented on the post there, then went out for the evening.  Got home and a whole bunch of old timers from like 6-8 years ago had all ended up in a thread there.  During that time period I was one of the more prolific commenters there.  Kinda weird having a little reunion with several people I haven't chatted with in years about the end of the only thing we all had in common. 

During its salad days, Joystiq was pretty much the only game site I visited. I miss the whole Christ Grant/Justin McElroy/Ludwig Kietzmann super-group podcast. In fact, it was Ludwig's adamant love of Far Cry 2 that piqued my interest in the game in the first place.

If it turns out to be true, I hope the fine folks land as softly as possible--Joystiq's staff was comprised of some of the best writers in the biz.

Ugh... gamergate garbage outlets are already celebrating joystiq's demise as a huge victory (I won't link to articles as usual).

Make sure to post here when the former staff (not the site itself) make Kickstarters, open patreon accounts or whatever. For these guys, there should always be a target audience, and it isn't the gamergate cult.

Ugh... gamergate garbage outlets are already celebrating joystiq's demise as a huge victory (I won't link to articles as usual).

Make sure to post here when the former staff (not the site itself) make Kickstarters, open patreon accounts or whatever. For these guys, there should always be a target audience, and it isn't the gamergate cult.

Okay, I WILL vent my spleen about this. 

As someone who is privy to way more of the details of how this all occurred and saw it unfolding in real time, the absolutely BATSHIT conspiracy theories and self-aggrandizing propaganda coming out of this from Gamer goobers is hilarious. They have no actual idea that corporations are frequently all about money, or lack of effort, and this potential closure speaks to that, but somehow it's AOL taking a stand on having Joystiq write one piece about racism and SUDDENLY it is a victory for GG? Wow, keep hitting that drum, you weirdos. 

I saw similar theories and actually really cold-blooded stuff from people who have been angry at my boyfriend's site for a very long time and that was also similarly bizarre, cockamamie theories being spoken about as if true. People are generally just horrible. You pick a day where people are potentially being laid off last minute to air grievances about a feature that ran like 3 years ago? Wow, get over yourself.

A week of harrassing tweets for Anita Sarkeesian. Exhausting and infuriating, just for me to read.

I checked some of those accounts and found most of my sample still up and running. Association with gamergate is the norm on these accounts. The accounts weren't created with the sole purpose of and immediately before harrassing Sarkeesian - some have been around for a long time. The harrassment is entirely coincidental.

This_is_gamergate.

I tried to find out whether the Lizzy doxx was made by a new or an old 8chan account; not surprisingly, I found squat.

As someone who is privy to way more of the details of how this all occurred and saw it unfolding in real time, the absolutely BATSHIT conspiracy theories and self-aggrandizing propaganda coming out of this from Gamer goobers is hilarious. They have no actual idea that corporations are frequently all about money, or lack of effort, and this potential closure speaks to that, but somehow it's AOL taking a stand on having Joystiq write one piece about racism and SUDDENLY it is a victory for GG? Wow, keep hitting that drum, you weirdos.

The reaxxion article in particular equaled "gamers" with "gamergaters" and then claimed that joystiq had failed to cater to "their target group". They're kids and imbecile grown-ups with delusions of power and vicious plans to oppress game journalism in favor of the cult's diffuse and shifting ideology.

A victory cry over factually reduced diversity in game journalism, that is as telling about gamergate as it gets.

Wow, keep hitting that drum, you weirdos.

This is all very predictably horrible, of course and I hope it turns out well for your boyfriend. In general, it's been pretty weird for me to take sidelong glances at those kind of industry discussions because of how far off people's understanding of the business is from the reality of it.

I get pretty riled up about it since I made site for the explicit purpose of getting people started in a way that's honest to them about how precarious it all is, so to see these dungwads whip each other in a frenzy with this constant barrage of lies and bullshit about publisher money, or trust funds, or Patreon cash is very gross to observe.

Ohhhhh my glob, I made the colossal mistake of looking at what a certain GG shitpile site had to say about the closing of one of their "enemies."

First off: BARF. BAAAAAAARF.

Secondly: All other unimaginably vile things aside, what the fuck is with the constant assertion that "alienating your core audience" isn't a "valid business model," as if sites were actually trying to monetize gamer tears*? Ads are a business model you cretins, and you are using the same one. I guess none of them would know the first thing about editorial policy though.

*(would that I could)

I saw that post and actually thought it was a joke.

Damn, that annoys the hell out of me as my two daily visits are Joystiq and Eurogamer.

Would be good to know where these guys go next as I would like to be able to visit that site instead.

I've actually found myself reading Joystiq again after being lapsed for a while and I'm unfortunately (if they will indeed close) very happy with what I've been reading. I've also found that I recognize and follow many of the writers from Joystiq on Twitter and now am sadder than I was when my mind was on "Joystiq as an institution is closing" rather than "Joystiq's employees are being fired, which include all these rad people".

So, this upcoming GG-themed episode of Law and Order: SVU...it will probably be very bad, right? 

oof.

I don't watch very much SVU, but the few episodes I have watched have generally seemed decent.

And in a similar vein, Belle Knox wrote last year about the episode that drew on her for inspiration.  SVU does seem to present ideas that most people aren't used to thinking about in ways that give a ton of weight to victims.  So there's some hope for a decent episode.

So, this upcoming GG-themed episode of Law and Order: SVU...it will probably be very bad, right?

Yes, of course. Law and Order has always been notorious for trying to portray modern technology and failing hilariously (as actually parodied in Telltale's L&O series). I don't think the authors have much of an idea as to what online harrassment means. For female devs, for video game journalists, for feminist game critics and for indie developers, threats that happen online can ruin lifes even though the harrasser doesn't follow through with his threat. Their life is taking place online, their professional career is taking place online. They get harrassed "in their workplace", so to speak. Law & Order will not portray that - because the authors do not understand it for one thing, and because it's impossible to understand for the target group of the series (and boring also). The episode will be about real life assault on a video game developer.

In real life, neither law nor order is able to understand or prepared to deal with this kind of problem, as Zoe Quinn recently remarked.

It would be a god damn miracle if Law & Order got it right. :(

"The very bad thing" is of course that with this false portrayal of the problem, the gamergate cult finds its actions justified – the TV series likely only portrays what has never happened to date. Everything pales in comparison to real life, physical assault, including the whole fucking online culture war.

(I like the series, though!)

Argh, I just found out about this.... I'm kinda scared to see how GG will react. :(

Maybe they'll call for an NBC boycott, then when NBC's ratings continue to be anemic they'll just call it a victory.

I want to see Olivia Benson kick down some cyber perp's door and shout, "No, this is about ethics in NOT BEING A SHITHEAD" or something.

Argh, I just found out about this.... I'm kinda scared to see how GG will react. :(

They took the promo image and used paint to scribble "SLUT" across Mariska Hargitay's forehead.