JonCole

"Ethics and Journalistic Integrity"

Yeah, I was somewhat looking forward to the Star Control reboot. Not so much anymore.

I'm happy to say I'm on the GG blocklist! HUZZAH! But I'm not sure I know what it means, can I use the #GamerGate hashtag with a little less fear now?

I'm happy to say I'm on the GG blocklist! HUZZAH! But I'm not sure I know what it means, can I use the #GamerGate hashtag with a little less fear now?

Do you enjoy seeing how long you can hold your hand over a candle before you're suddenly engulfed in flames, thinking that maybe death would be better but still hoping to get through to the other side okay, that things will be better there, but why did this happen when you were just expecting a blister on your palm at most?

If yes, then probably, sure, go for it

No, not really. It only blocks everyone for people who sign up for it, which I'm not sure how many people did, but its vastly vastly less than the amount of people who are actually on the list. I still got a bunch of gg randos in my replies after using the hash tag yesterday.

I suspect the only point of the list is as a rhetorical point, one that's not particularly effective because most everyone treats it as a badge of honour and a good first step and not their voice taken away.

I suspect the only point of the list is as a rhetorical point, one that's not particularly effective because most everyone treats it as a badge of honour and a good first step and not their voice taken away.

Yeah, I agree. "Look, we can make a block list, too! Isn't it annoying and hurtful to see your name on a list like this one? Also, see how many of you are on it, you're obviously a bigger problem than us!"

It wasn't until a friend mentioned GGers sending a friend of hers mutilated dog pictures (what the fuck) that I saw anything about this in like a week or so, it feels. Though the Brad Wardell thing was quickly found too. He's always been kind of a d-bag and is just doubling down on it. I mean, it's one thing that he says something to be an asshole but now he's trying to back out of it. Cowardly assholes are far more annoying.

It wasn't until a friend mentioned GGers sending a friend of hers mutilated dog pictures (what the fuck) that I saw anything about this in like a week or so, it feels. Though the Brad Wardell thing was quickly found too. He's always been kind of a d-bag and is just doubling down on it. I mean, it's one thing that he says something to be an asshole but now he's trying to back out of it. Cowardly assholes are far more annoying.

It's really weird with the Wardell thing. When he was accused of sexual harassment by a female employee, he was able to argue to fairly good effect that she misunderstood the company culture and was just accusing him to deflect attention from her own misconduct. I wasn't convinced, not when he was also arguing that he owned Stardock wholly and therefore had the right to treat his employees as his property, but a lot of people were mollified by such arguments.

Fortunately, the smoke and mirrors aren't so convincing when everything's out in the open. You'd think that, after the huge embarrassment that was him going forum to forum insulting anyone who had anything bad to say about the first Elemental the week of its release, he'd know that for a fact, at least. 

Yeah, this was Brianna Wu. Her dog just died, which of course led to GGers sending her pictures of mutilated dogs, creating Twitter accounts with the same name as her dog that said stuff to the effect of "yeah, I'm glad I'm dead so I don't need to be in the same house as that dumb bitch", and much more similar garbage. She mentioned that what the dog died of could have come from poison, which she got tested because of what was happening to her. She said literally in the next tweet that it was ruled out, but GGers pounced on that mocking her for blaming GG for all of her woes including the death of her animal.

At some point, I really have to wonder how anyone could associate themselves with GG and not be scum. How can you be party to scandal after scandal where a big contingent of your group just shames people for things that any human deserves sympathy for? Lots of "anti-GG people" make a point to say that we shouldn't call them all monsters, but boy do I feel like they all are sometimes.

It's really weird with the Wardell thing. When he was accused of sexual harassment by a female employee, he was able to argue to fairly good effect that she misunderstood the company culture and was just accusing him to deflect attention from her own misconduct. I wasn't convinced, not when he was also arguing that he owned Stardock wholly and therefore had the right to treat his employees as his property, but a lot of people were mollified by such arguments.

Fortunately, the smoke and mirrors aren't so convincing when everything's out in the open. You'd think that, after the huge embarrassment that was him going forum to forum insulting anyone who had anything bad to say about the first Elemental the week of its release, he'd know that for a fact, at least. 

This is another semantic thing that was going on and really a tactical error by Zoe Quinn, which I honestly give her no grief over but I think her argument was undermined by the fact that she said Wardell sued that employee that accused him of harassment. It was later found that Kotaku, who was the lead on the reporting on that story, messed up the sequence of events - Wardell did not in fact countersue, apparently. That of course doesn't mean that he didn't do anything or that the apology that the alleged victim released seemed incredibly forced, just that when Wardell said all the shit he did today that was enough to go after him for without what he may or may not have done in the past. Today was proof enough that he's a scumbag.

Now, of course, GGers have a search on Wardell or Stardock so as soon as I tweeted earlier tonight that I unsubscribed from Stardock's emails due to this business someone immediately sent me an article refuting his alleged countersuit from a year ago. It doesn't matter that he was a grade A asshole today, this legal issue from a year ago is now the focus of these fucking eggs.

Hello friends. This is the first time since I joined the forum that two days have gone by without this thread seeing a new post. That won't do, so I'm afraid I'm going to ruin everyone's supper, tomorrow's breakfast, and basically every meal through Christmas dinner by telling you that GamerGate is masturbating for charity.

Here are the poll results determining whether or not this is a good idea. They are unnecessary. Of course it is.

Coincidentally, I've recently been watching a few Slavoj Žižek videos (

) just because it's that time of year. GG is a perfect example of knowingly and intentionally using charity to buy cultural capital and "redemption", it's disgusting. Charity as masturbation is a perfect metaphor for what they're doing too, it boggles me that they lack the self-awareness to recognise this. Poe's Law everywhere.

Also since I can't think of any other solutions besides GG magically becoming nice people, I hope AbleGamers takes their money and then proceeds to publicly and explicitly criticise GG for what they are doing anyway. Win-win?

Meanwhile, Randi Harper's got the name of an actual stalker and is pretty sure they've broken Californian law.

Hello friends. This is the first time since I joined the forum that two days have gone by without this thread seeing a new post. That won't do, so I'm afraid I'm going to ruin everyone's supper, tomorrow's breakfast, and basically every meal through Christmas dinner by telling you that GamerGate is masturbating for charity.

Here are the poll results determining whether or not this is a good idea. They are unnecessary. Of course it is.

I love all the people in that Reddit thread saying that this will upset and offend their opponents, in turn making everyone else see how ridiculous they are. Well, that's been your plan from the beginning, #GamerGate. Be honest, how's it working out for you?

Also, it's not very "sex-positive" to have a sex worker from an exploitative industry perform without pay in order to raise money for an unrelated charity. In the abstract, it's a positive thing involving sex, but that's not really the definition of "sex-positive" at all. Oh #GamerGate, fighting liberalism with literalism...

I'm not touching gamergate masturbating...wait, that came out wrong. 

Anyways, so Jaffe didn't appreciate this tweet today, you can see his replies here:

post-33601-0-51761800-1417941197_thumb.png

post-33601-0-41812100-1417941437_thumb.jpg

post-33601-0-95729900-1417941676_thumb.jpg

In unrelated news, Jaffe apprently used the word fucktard today onstage during the Playstation Experience, and then had to issue an apology because he didn't know that it was an obvious derivation of retard.  Maybe it was a half a brain kinda day.  I mean, what kind of a ninny throws around words that end in -tard at one of the premier industry events in front of a massive global audience.  Someone like that just kinda looks like a fool.