JonCole

"Ethics and Journalistic Integrity"

And then, then I was going for ice cream. And there was this girl n she came over when I had my cone n stuff. I hadn't started it but she took it from me and screamed "Social justice!" and so I was just crying but everyone gave her sympathy instead.

Has anyone bothered to freeze frame on that wall of text at the end of Measured Response? I can't tell whether or not the author is taking some lofty, superior to both sides position by calling Feminist Frequency super basic etc. and it's giving me pause.

I didn't really get a superior to both sides feel, more a pithy sendoff that Femfreq is (self-admittedly) basic criticism and if you disagree with it by calling Anita a poor scholar there's a bit of silly disconnect there. Did seem a little incongruous to the object of the video, but I don't have a lot of experience with Measured Response so maybe his videos are his only/primary method of communication and it's not unusual for him to use a wall of text in a video to express a thought he was having.

Has anyone bothered to freeze frame on that wall of text at the end of Measured Response? I can't tell whether or not the author is taking some lofty, superior to both sides position by calling Feminist Frequency super basic etc. and it's giving me pause.

I'm with Jon on this. I didn't feel that way. I think it's a pretty apt description. What Anita's doing is not some in-depth, hyper-detailed criticism with any deep meaning. It's very surface-level and simple and basic. That is not a bad thing! It just sort of emphasizes that it's not a complex issue, to my mind.

(It's also why I, personally, find her videos rather boring. Important! But boring. That doesn't mean bad. It just means they're not for me.)

I dunno, the video posted by Justin shows he doesn't exactly get what Sarkeesian's videos are about.

Perhaps, though that one is over a year old. Obviously, I haven't changed my opinion on anything during that period, because I am Right In All Things, but he might have.

Plus it's possible he was sending up aspects of both Anita's vids and her opposition. I guess.

(Maybe take a look at some less hot-topic stuff on his channel to get more of a feel?)

Considering this tweet by the same guy, I'm going to guess that it isn't a joke:

We are Saiyans, the more you beat us, the stronger we become 

#GamerGate

But the comic clearly defines it as a rat. It is like he didn't even read it.

These are all big winners. Especially the last one, tell me you're not the first to make that joke, PM.

I'm inspired to try my own!

Q: How many GamerGaters does it take to change a light bulb?

A: Just one, but he'll probably use a sock puppet to support himself while he does it.

Excellent, I'd love to kick off a trend ;)

A: What about all the light bulbs YOUR side is changing!?

"Knock knock"

"Who's there?"

"#GamerGate"

"#GamerGate who?""#GamerGate who?""#GamerGate who?""#GamerGate who?""#GamerGate who?""#GamerG

A: Actually it's a myth that all GamerGaters hate light bulbs

A: Three: One to change it, one to say it changed itself, and one to say it's not about the light bulb

A: Ad hominem!

Perhaps, though that one is over a year old. Obviously, I haven't changed my opinion on anything during that period, because I am Right In All Things, but he might have.

I think this is actually the case. In a response to a comment on his latest video by a guy completely missing the point of Anita's videos, he said:

No offense, but I think you might be purposefully getting confused with Sarkeesian's statements just because you want an excuse not to really think about what is being said here. I used to do that too, so I know what it looks like. I'd recommend basically any book by Judith Butler, who implies that almost all gender roles are an 'act' that a person consciously 'plays'. Sarkeesian is obviously aware of Butler's ideas because she directly references it in the title of her master's thesis, which I read because I'm a crazy person who likes thinking about things. Butler hasn't received nearly as many death threats in the twenty-five years she's been writing.

Finally, the point isn't to find a solution - a good deal of criticism deals simply with an awareness of the way things are functioning. A greater critical or experiencial landscape means you can bring more to an experience of a game and get more out of it, without simply absorbing its ideological scope in the form of 'entertainment' and so on. You can't fix ideology. It is spontaneous.

So yeah, I think he didn't get it in the past, did some reading and thought about it some more, and now he does. I did initially think the text at the end of the Measured Response video was a little muddled about its intent, but I'm inclined to agree with Jon and Twig's reading of it, that he's just saying her arguments are pretty basic stuff, so it shouldn't be so hard to parse them.

Q: How many gamergaters does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: We have people who light candles as well!  #notyourillumination

Q: Why did the GamerGater cross the road?

A: To escape the cultural Marxism that was infesting the other side.

Here's a fascinating look on some data from three days of the hashtag on twitter.

Oh, and...

Q: why was the GamerGater standing in a field?

A: Because he has no idea what a strawman argument actually is.

I think this is actually the case. In a response to a comment on his latest video by a guy completely missing the point of Anita's videos, he said:

So yeah, I think he didn't get it in the past, did some reading and thought about it some more, and now he does. I did initially think the text at the end of the Measured Response video was a little muddled about its intent, but I'm inclined to agree with Jon and Twig's reading of it, that he's just saying her arguments are pretty basic stuff, so it shouldn't be so hard to parse them.

Huh, that's interesting. I had no idea of the timeline. I gave him the benefit of the doubt which evaporated while watching the second video, but apparently I was too rash.

Total Biscuit denounced GamerGate harassment of women . . . that he is personally friends with.

On the other hand, he is fine participating in streams with people who have literally millions of youtube hits spreading lies and conspiracies about Zoe Quinn's personal life. That's just a necessary evil for him to talk to the moderate majority . . . of fans of the creators who make conspiracy theory videos about Zoe Quinn.  It's weird that he talks about harassers as an abstract outspoken minority, when the major ringleaders of harassment are literally the people he is streaming with.

Total Biscuit denounced GamerGate harassment of women . . . that he is personally friends with.

On the other hand, he is fine participating in streams with people who have literally millions of youtube hits spreading lies and conspiracies about Zoe Quinn's personal life. That's just a necessary evil for him to talk to the moderate majority . . . of fans of the creators who make conspiracy theory videos about Zoe Quinn.  It's weird that he talks about harassers as an abstract outspoken minority, when the major ringleaders of harassment are literally the people he is streaming with.

On one hand, it is nice that someone with a lot of influence is speaking out against harassment. On the other hand, it obviously sucks that it took someone he knows personally to speak up, and also it sucks that he didn't show the same sort of self-awareness before complaining about Anita and Leigh who I'm sure have had to listen to some nasty things said to them by angry TB fans.

And also PressFartToContinue has been involved prettttty much since the start so it took him two months to notice.

Didn't he know about Fart's harassment of Dodger since the start? I remember reading about that at the same time as I read TB's first posts about GamerGate... Has it genuinely taken him two months to catch up to this?

Film Crit Hulk on GamerGate: http://badassdigest.com/2014/10/27/film-crit-hulk-smash-on-despair-gamergate-and-quitting-the-hulk/

Don't be deterred by the HULK ALL CAPS thing, it's well worth a read.

The thing I really appreciate about the more recent pieces discussing Gamer's Gate like Hulk, Gerstmann, and Felicia Day, is that they actually recognize and respect that the people who are supporting the whole GamerGate mess, are in fact people. This will probably be an unpopular opinion, but I find it sad that most places have taken on an us versus them attitude including here.

I respect that they're people, but they're also people who are doing real harm to other human beings out of stupidity, gullibility, and stubbornness. This has gone on for long enough that there's no reason to be patient with these people any more.

I respect their humanity, but the decisions they've made are hugely harmful and make me deeply sad and angry. I don't think it's necessary or desirable to hide that.

Is that why half of this page is made up of self congratulatory GamerGate jokes? You really think that kind of antagonistic bullshit is helping?