JonCole

"Ethics and Journalistic Integrity"

One important thing to note is that most developers by and large agree that GG is ridiculous. I'm sure there are some small studios (like the guys making Hatred) who already hated social justice but all the AAA companies know what's what. I was in a small studio last week and I overheard a developer jokingly say that everyone using the hashtag should be forcibly sterilized. Regardless of what they clamber for, they're not gonna get the games they want.

Marxist?! Are they old man Republicans hanging out in their country homes now?  What on earth.

"Marxists", and especially "cultural Marxists", is one of about a gajillion right-wing conspiracy theory synonyms for "basically, Jews". Doesn't always mean that. Often does. Although whether someone uncritically repeating it is aware of that is another question...

$15k a month to hear hate-driven shit is fucking astounding. But y'know, if Sarah Palin can do it, I guess this douchebag can too.

Lead Writer of Dragon Age: 

I’ve seen the @femfreq videos as well, and I’ve commented on them previously. When I did so, I got a deluge of exactly this type of response: “But she’s cherry-picking her evidence!” “Her views are biased!” “Everything about those videos is garbage, and she needs to be stopped!”

Okay. Let’s pretend for a moment that, for those of you who feel this way, you’re absolutely right. My question is this:

Why the fuck do you even care?

Is there such a profound shortage of shitty opinions on YouTube or elsewhere on the Internet that the appearance of this one constitutes a crime in the making? Have you asked yourself why it’s this particular opinion that drives you up the goddamned wall? What do you tell yourself, if and when you stop for that moment of introspection?

I was recently talking to a colleague who suggested a notion that’s stuck with me. It’s the idea that many of these people don’t think of feminism as a thing. Or, if it is a thing, it certainly has no bearing on them or on the game industry. It’s not real. A made-up problem.

Since it’s not a real issue, so is the idea of women being subject to any kind of systemic abuse or oppression. “Hey, I’m a gamer—I’ve been ridiculed and marginalized as well. Why does nobody care about my problems? Everyone has issues, so why do I suddenly have to be the bad guy? You guys are oppressing me!

http://dgaider.tumblr.com/post/100838707464/wakeuplena-john-epler-you-either-havent

Or Jonathan Blow:

If you support harassment either directly or implicitly by group affiliation, please don't play my games. I do not want to make games for an audience of internet trolls, harassers, and boys who won't grow up. If I made my living from an audience like that, I would feel dirty and start looking for another line of work. So when a GGer tells me they won't buy my game because something just said does not sufficiently caress their oh-so-precious ego, I feel relieved actually. It means I am doing the right things in life.

Pro Tip: If you claim to care about ethics, it is a wee bit of an inconsistent platform to try and use financial pressures to push people into acting against their ethics (and especially to take glee in that / get an ego boost.) I mean, it's obvious to everyone that GG is not at all about ethics, but I am mentioning just one of the many ways it's obvious.

So instead of paying any attention to the Royal's continuing implosion for the last couple of hours, I helped edit my daughter's paper and powerpoint presentation for her class tomorrow.  She's in a class that studies interactive media and the intersections of various types of media.  For their current project, she decided to cover gamergate, and examine whether or not there are elements in the history of gaming culture and development that helped lay part of the foundation for gg.  That makes it sound a bit more impressive than it is, it's an undergrad research paper and powerpoint, so not like a dissertation or anything.  But she did some pretty good work on it.   

One thing she's a little concerned about is that a lot of the people in the class are in a video game or programming track, and there are a bunch of young dudes in it (naturally).  She actually saved one of those "Actually, it's about ethics" memes to her thumbdrive to pull up if someone is ballsy enough to say that to her during her presentation.  At least I know that the professor will be on her side if anyone does decide to publicly be a dipshit, since he happens to be an old buddy of mine and I'm well aware of his stances on all this stuff.  But we also had a talk about ways to handle it if someone does decide to go that route.  Which is...I don't know, fucking weird and sad to have to have that conversation. 

Man, that Sarkeesian Effect video is great. I hadn't realized that their goal was 15k a month for an estimated 5 months. I fucking guarantee that most of the assholes who donated subscribe to the theory that Anita "took the money and ran" after her Kickstarter, but never questioned why these two need nearly thirteen times as much as Anita had originally asked for for a much smaller project.

Fuckin' seagulls. I'm starting to dislike every animal with the ocean in its name. Is that profiling?

No. Actually, it's about ethics in french fry scavenging.

Holy balls, I've known almost nothing about the two behind the Sarkeesian Effect video, other than that they exist and it's a thing. I had kinda assumed they were just a couple of regular shitheads. Nope, extra special shitheads.

Also, these tweets, I'm not sure if he's capable of seeing the relationship between them:

post-33601-0-75062900-1414392788_thumb.jpg

The Dark Enlightenment are shitty enough that I'm swiping them for villains in a campaign one of these days.

Q: How many GamerGaters does it take to change a light bulb?

A: FUCK YOU IT'S FINE THE WAY IT IS

A: One, but he'll say it was ten of them

"Knock knock"

"Who's there?"

"Interrupting GamerGater"

"Interrupting Ga--"

"IT'S ABOUT ETHICS IN GAMES JOURNALISM"

"Knock knock"

"Who's there?"

"Literally"

"Literally who?"

"IT'S NOT ABOUT HER"

A: One, but they all claim the lightbulb did it to itself

A: What evidence do you have that it was a GamerGater that changed the lightbulb?

A: GamerGate is opposed to burnt out light bulbs!

A: Trick question, GamerGaters can't change anything.

A: FUCK YOU IT'S FINE THE WAY IT IS

A: One, but he'll say it was ten of them

"Knock knock"

"Who's there?"

"Literally"

"Literally who?"

"IT'S NOT ABOUT HER"

These are all big winners. Especially the last one, tell me you're not the first to make that joke, PM.

I'm inspired to try my own!

A: Just one, but he'll probably use a sock puppet to support himself while he does it.

Considering this tweet by the same guy, I'm going to guess that it isn't a joke:

We are Saiyans, the more you beat us, the stronger we become 

#GamerGate

Guys I got into a twitter fight. I could have been sound asleep for hours but instead I willingly bashed my head against a brick wall. This is ruining me.

I know I've said to try and avoid painting gg supporters as children, but sometimes they do feel like kids on a playground exaggerating shit to make everyone like them.

post-33601-0-10291800-1414419962_thumb.jpg