JonCole

"Ethics and Journalistic Integrity"

That's a shame, I hadn't heard of any attempts at moving to a different tag. I'm convinced that the bulk of GGers don't believe that the issue has anything to do with gender or hate but they've been lead to villify innocent people by those that do.

The problem with it is that it's a hashtag. By design, anyone can use it. If they really want to talk about game journalism ethics, they need to create a website and do some real journalism themselves.

If they really want to talk about game journalism ethics, they need to create a website and do some real journalism themselves.

I mean, there's GoodGames.us, which is still going. There's no editorial content on the site, only partial coverage of gaming news, and no listing on Metacritic, so the only reason anyone would visit the site is if they enjoyed the reviews, which are almost all either colorless or bilious depending on the writer. Even the most popular reviews after the ones posted during launch only have a dozen comments on them. Nothing differentiates it from any other third-tier gaming site except its oddly pointed mission statement.

Over the last week or so, I have really been trying to dial back the rage, and give at least the claimed moderates some empathy (even if I still think they are bullshit enablers).  But the entrance of Mike the lawyer and Roosh of RoK changes that.  If any claimed moderate doesn't look at them, and see them for the pure poison and danger they are, fuck 'em.  This is who showed up to champion their cause.  This is who they supported, even if it was by their silence.  Good job gg, this is who you are. 

The one thought I did have though is that it would be kind of nice to have some kind of message board out there where gg'ers can clearly identify themselves as such (so there is no ambiguity as to what banner they fall under), state what it is they take issue with, and provide 3 specific examples that demonstrate that what they take issue with is actually a thing that is happening.

8chan is the closest they have to that, and it unfortunately gives the same indications as 4chan.

I generally trust David Futrelle's nose for such things, and he seemed pretty convinced there wasn't much difference between Roosh and the culture that birthed Gamergate.

I wish people would stop saying "you don't get to [make argument/statement/judgement/express opinion X]." It sounds childish and naive, especially as it's demonstrably false, plus it invokes a censorious tone.

I wanted to do a video response to all the shit that's gone on recently but I didn't want to repeat arguments that others have better written. So I decided to do a simple list of my favourite women characters.

This won't change the world but I had to do something, anything, to show that video games are better when diverse and inclusive to all.

I generally trust David Futrelle's nose for such things, and he seemed pretty convinced there wasn't much difference between Roosh and the culture that birthed Gamergate.

I can see the bits of cult thinking clearly enough; their evangelical Twitter talking points are very similar to the training I got to go door knocking with a bible when I was a kid. Persistent, repetitious, and spoken with absolute faith that leaves no cracks for reasoning to penetrate.

The similarities with PUA culture were obvious in their chaospad chats months back, when people said stuff like "Jenn Frank fucking had it coming" and everyone just continued to discuss as if that was a reasonable thing to say.

By the transitive property, yeah, I also see common elements between men's rights group and these evangelical/charismatic cults. There's a shared commitment to their own version of reality and a ready willingness to dehumanise outsiders that leads nowhere good.

I made the really poor decision of speaking up in the comments of a KotakuInAction thread. I'm going to document some of the stranger things I've heard back.

- Apparently the writer who gave Bayonetta 2 a 7.5 is a subscriber of SuicideGirls and is, therefore, not allowed to notice objectification in media.

- If LGBT people also find a woman attractive then she isn't appealing to the "male gaze".

- This isn't about Zoe Quinn, it's about who she decided to have sex with

- There's no proof that any of the abuse has come from GGers.

more to come as it streams into my inbox.

I wish people would stop saying "you don't get to [make argument/statement/judgement/express opinion X]." It sounds childish and naive, especially as it's demonstrably false, plus it invokes a censorious tone.

I wish people would stop making rape and death threats, inciting mobs while revealing addresses of targets, and intentionally slandering people in order to silence argument/statement/judgement/express opinion x. Because it's actually censoring people.

I wish people would stop making rape and death threats, inciting mobs while revealing addresses of targets, and intentionally slandering people in order to silence argument/statement/judgement/express opinion x. Because it's actually censoring people.

Yes, obviously. That's why I said "invokes a censorious tone", not "is censorship". I also wish those things you list, plus a lot of other things, but it would probably break the forum if I listed everything I wish, so I just posted one minor thing that was on my mind at the time.

Yes, obviously. That's why I said "invokes a censorious tone", not "is censorship". I also wish those things you list, plus a lot of other things, but it would probably break the forum if I listed everything I wish, so I just posted one minor thing that was on my mind at the time.

this sounds like a challenge

I have a long daily rail commute, so I use the morning to catch up on this stuff (via twitter and this thread, mainly), and let me tell you, it's not a great way to start the day. I should be getting myself psyched up for work, but by the end of the ride I feel nauseated and want to lie down in the dark.

Maybe it's a little bit due to reading small text while in a moving vehicle, but that usually doesn't bother me, so I think it's gamer gate.

Yeah no it's gamergate, it's been getting me down enough that my mum's worried I might be in serious danger.

I'd be exercising my privilege and quitting Twitter entirely, but PAX Aus use it for status updates so I've got at least a week of this

God I hate that this whole thing has prevented real discussion of and disagreement about Bayonetta because she is a super interesting character and people could say a lot about her.

I feel that one of the main issues with this whole thing is that we keep expecting some self-awareness from the gg people and it's just not going to happen. This is being a human at it's worst- a closed, self reinforcing cycle of reality denial fueled by the perception of righteousness and a mob of affirmative whispers. It's the same, ugly head of our cultural psyche that has burned witches and stoned people to death and after all these years and countless examples of the hurt that this sort of mob mentality causes- here we are again with the latest iteration. 

And, sadly, with shock and horror and exasperation, here we are; expecting something like shame to show it's self in the faces of people who have ceased to act like people.  

I realize that this may be overly dramatic and cynical but, fuck, man. Fuuuuuck.

Edit: grammar, words, blah

This is being a human at it's worst- a closed, self reinforcing cycle of reality denial fueled by the perception of righteousness and a mob of affirmative whispers. It's the same, ugly head of our cultural psyche that has burned witches and stoned people to death and after all these years and countless examples of the hurt that this sort of mob mentality causes- here we will are again with the latest iteration.

Actually, it's about ethics in games journalism.