JonCole

"Ethics and Journalistic Integrity"

It's a new splinter site isn't it? I'd imagine it'll be shut down soon enough if there's real CP there.

And then the gaters will scream about persecution and their rights being suppressed. 

In the HuffPo Live interview, the owner said it had been around for about a year, but I'm under the impression it had very, very few users until the gaters moved in. 

We've already seen what happens when no one publicizes these threats: The people who receive them feel that much more isolated and alone and threatened.

Is there consensus that this is what happens? Serious question, because I honestly don't know.

Is there consensus that this is what happens? Serious question, because I honestly don't know.

I don't know that there is consensus, but there are certainly multiple cases of one person being brave enough to speak out causing other victims to also gain the courage to say something.  If it happens to you and you think that its not happening to anyone else its easy to become withdrawn, scared, and isolated.  But knowing that someone else out there might share those feelings and experiences can be a comfort in a way because it shows you're not alone.  Of course its a double edged sword because it means exposing that information to the public which naturally has its own problems.  I don't really have the time to do the proper research and provide specific evidence of what I'm saying but I'm sure its out there.

I think that in the same way that "don't publicize threats" is considered a truism in some circles, this may also be somewhat of a truism. That said, I don't think it's a logical stretch to think that if people make it known that they report such threats, more people would be willing to report instead of stay silent. To me, a clear analogue in my mind is the gap between numbers of women who report in polls that they've been a victim of sexual assault versus the numbers of women who report sexual assault to authorities. I don't have the numbers on hand, but it's a big gap. I can't help but think the same must be true of threats of physical violence.

I've been out for a couple of weeks, busy with life and stuff. Just wanted to pop in and say that while I support ethics in video game coverage, and was involved in the dialogue on this stuff earlier in the thread, I think all this gamergate stuff is fucked up, and I don't like it. I know I went back and forth on some issues with some people, still feel uncomfortable with how the indie game scene is organized (and also how the AAA scene etc in general is organized. I guess I'm just uncomfortable with how the relationship between "games as an industry" and "games as an artistic medium"), but the shittiness of the trolls really won't seem to stop. I sort of peaced out around the time the twitter tag began to take off, so I haven't been following the actual "gamersgate" stuff much, but it seems to me that the things I'm personally concerned about and the things that fall under the tag, do not align. Guess I just wanted to go on record about that. 

2 good links to GG stuff. The Guardian posted an article titled Lazy coverage of Gamergate is only feeding this abusive campaign which is about how the failures to actually call out GG as a harassment campaign has helped fuel the movement.

Meanwhile, Zoe Quinn opened up her giant collection of captures from the early days of Quinnspiracy garbage to the person running the Fuck No Video Games account, allowing them to demonstrate what the pre-IRC organization of the campaign looked like.

I think I may have OD'd on this shit for a few days, taking a break.

I would like to express some gratitude to Mr.Tobacco (still feel bad for not saving you in WD: S1): Thanks for keeping the bastards out.

My fellow dear readers: you are all wizard people and the well reasoned discussion and sanity I can count on finding here are aloe vera on my burned out faith in humanity.

Have a good rest of your week and weekend, fingers crossed that the internet doesn't explode again.

2 good links to GG stuff. The Guardian posted an article titled Lazy coverage of Gamergate is only feeding this abusive campaign which is about how the failures to actually call out GG as a harassment campaign has helped fuel the movement.

I haven't read through this yet, but it says of the threats against Anita at Utah that "The threat did not contain a reference to [GG]". I thought that she tweeted that one of them did associate with GG..?

I haven't read through this yet, but it says of the threats against Anita at Utah that "The threat did not contain a reference to [GG]". I thought that she tweeted that one of them did associate with GG..?

You're right. There were multiple threats, one of which did explicitly reference GG according to Anita.

The text of one of the threats was released, and that one didn't explicitly reference GG. The author may have just missed that another did.

I just want to note that my post about what the guy would say wasn't me actually defending him. I was trying to point out how ridiculous his comments to date have been and will be.

(I've had an off day today, maybe I just misunderstood the tone of people's replies to me.)

Here's an intriguing article that enumerates internet-comments expressing how gamergate and parenting are intersecting for some.  

Here's Arthur Chu talking about disco, which turns out to be alarmingly relevant.

Also my spell checker is convinced 'Chu talking about' should be spelled 'talkin bout'. I'd be impressed if it wasn't wrong.

Well those are probably two of the most interesting pieces written about this so far, in a large part for actually approaching it from new angles.  I was completely ignorant of the Disco burning. 

Interesting articles from different contexts. Thanks!

Just saw this on Eurogamer, they've had consistently pretty good coverage for a mainstream site.

Nice to see unambiguous condemnation. Comments section there is still crap, but getting better I suppose. Feels like the tide is turning.

My fellow dear readers: you are all wizard people and the well reasoned discussion and sanity I can count on finding here are aloe vera on my burned out faith in humanity.

I'd like to echo this sentiment.

Breitbart published the not-actually-secret secret list of game journalists. It took all of like thirty seconds for some anon to start harassing Brad Shoemaker for his "crimes" on Tumblr.

B0KCJ_JCYAA_UzU.png

I feel this is the entire thing in a nutshell. This person is either completely disingenuous and is using the standard talking points in an attempt to gain a convert or is so lacking in self-awareness and maturity that they actually don't understand what they're doing.

My favorite analogy for this is southerners who display the Confederate flag and claim the Civil War was about state's rights. They're either using that as a conscious cover for racism or their unacknowledged racist tendencies are exactly what keep them from realizing how racist it is.