JonCole

"Ethics and Journalistic Integrity"

I would say right-wing reactionary movements all share a call to restore order to some idealized version of the past. You could see a variation of that theme in Nazi rhetoric, as well as the Tea Party movement in American politics today, or the John Birch society back in the 60s.

if i can take a moment of banality, it's a bummer that we're in a world where somebody named "Total Biscuit" wields some kind of significant power. 

I don't have a problem with silly aliases on the internet.  One of it's more endearing qualities I think.  That's the last place I'd take issue with Total Biscuit.

So there's more stuff going on with Quinn, but I don't even know if it's worth talking about (thus drawing more attention to it)? But it also seems to be feeding into the 'gaters, fueling their drive (though it does seem to be staying off the public Twitter channels as they want to avoid being called out for continuing to focus on Quinn).

Yeah, it was not an entirely uninformed comparison. I've been reading up on reactionary movements recently and it really does seem like the last big one that lost major traction was fascism. It shares a lot of similarities with other reactionary movements, like Gormongous points out, although obviously the stakes were a lot higher, fascism isn't Nazism (although fascists weren't above throwing minority races under the bus to keep the con going, because fascism was willing to basically co-opt or misrepresent anything to keep the con going) and rolling tanks into Berlin sent fascism underground but utterly clobbered Nazism. The reaction against second and third wave feminism never really got traction and hasn't really left us, so when you're looking for reactionary movements that were defeated, you don't really have a lot of options.

So there's more stuff going on with Quinn, but I don't even know if it's worth talking about (thus drawing more attention to it)? But it also seems to be feeding into the 'gaters, fueling their drive (though it does seem to be staying off the public Twitter channels as they want to avoid being called out for continuing to focus on Quinn).

That interview smelled of some stinky doo doo butter if you are talking about TFYC's thing.

I think Bjorn might be referencing this post on Skeptic Ink, which is a re-posting from this Facebook page.

It doesn't paint a pretty picture, but it also doesn't invalidate the criticism being leveled at Gamer Gate™ in general. Even assuming arguendo all of that's true, it doesn't justify rampant bigotry from angry white nerds screaming from the depths of the internet's cesspool.

Basically, everyone fucking sucks.

Again, if that is true it's really really really not any of the internet's fucking business. This is really just fucking gross and pointless. 

I still don't know what the gaters are allegedly actually mad at, it's so many different things but all of them are still seemingly directly related to women in games. It continues to bother me that it's not already been entirely dismissed as misogynist garbage people. There's really not a debate or sides that are equally to blame here. It's a bunch of gossip and death threats. Fuck it.

Oh my fucking god, this is seriously going to become people actually believing Zoe literally murdered someone, isn't it?

Oh my fucking god, this is seriously going to become people actually believing Zoe literally murdered someone, isn't it?

Nah she probably faked that murder.

Again, if that is true it's really really really not any of the internet's fucking business. This is really just fucking gross and pointless.

I will never get tired (by which I mean that I am already and always will be tired) of people deciding that now is the time for them to air their random, unrelated, and unflattering grievance about Zoe Quinn. This one's especially egregious, because all it tells me is that seven years ago, when Zoe Quinn was twenty years old, she was kind of dramatic and unstable, which tells me that she was twenty years old. Basically, no one's business, agreed.

I will never get tired (by which I mean that I am already and always will be tired) of people deciding that now is the time for them to air their random, unrelated, and unflattering grievance about Zoe Quinn. This one's especially egregious, because all it tells me is that seven years ago, when Zoe Quinn was twenty years old, she was kind of dramatic and unstable, which tells me that she was twenty years old. Basically, no one's business, agreed.

And those are exactly the same reasons I hesitated to bring it up, but it's also becoming part of the narrative that's driving some of the 'gaters, which makes it worth at least mentioning.  But I hate even acknowledging it. Aaaargh!  I completely agree with Gormonguos' take on it.  20-year-olds who also happen to be budding photographers and models.  No drama was ever born naturally from that combination.  Nope.

It also makes me wonder what kind of people would come out of the woodwork if I were at the center of some Internet hate mob.  I'm pretty sure I could be painted as an an out-of-control monster if someone just listened to a handful of people, particularly telling stories from my early to mid 20s.  It's one of the reasons I take all this shit with a grain of salt, even if there is some truth to it. 

I also feel like it needs pointing out that the screencap of the emails included red arrows.  Because red arrows point towards truth.

Hey fuck it. Who cares about Zoe Quinn, or if she's a bad person or a good person. My problems with gamergate never centered around the ethos of this one person, it centered around the exploitation of a person's image to achieve unrelated, orbital goals and coopting platforms to keep the cogs turning in a monstrous, destructive, regressive, cheetostained steamroller.

I also feel like it needs pointing out that the screencap of the emails included red arrows.  Because red arrows point towards truth.

Damn right!

It also makes me wonder what kind of people would come out of the woodwork if I were at the center of some Internet hate mob.

I've got at least a couple of these that I expect to see turn up. It's not going to be pretty.

Witness testimony is the most useless, flawed and biased form of evidence but it has always proven to be the most persuasive.

I saw this facebook post, but didn't want to spread it. Well I guess viral character assassination of Zoe for things she did seven years ago vindicates all the gaters who've been emphatically stating "It isn't about her!" ¬¬

"Look guys, I wasn't comfortable going to the police with this murder confession when I received it seven years ago, but now that I also know that she also allegedly cheated on her boyfriend I feel comfortable sharing it with the internet (still not going to the police)."

Sounds legit.

Oh yeah? I heard Zoe Quinn is responsible for Mega Man Legends 3 getting canceled. BEAT THAT.

I heard she was solely responsible for Superman 64 getting released!

Fact: Feminist Frequency is filmed on the same sound stage where hey faked the moon landing.

Fact: Feminist Frequency is filmed on the same sound stage where hey faked the moon landing.

I thought it was filmed on the grassy knoll?

This is probably one of the better overviews and pieces of analysis I've seen on the gaters. 

It also led me to this, wherein the gaters turn on one of their own and attempt to destroy her, slut shame her and belittle her once they realize that she's not 100 percent, unquestionably, unambiguously one of them.  She dared question Milo about his own history of questionably ethical actions in regards to what he has published. He went full on misogynist on her, and the mob followed. The cognitive dissonance here is crazy.

The Verge also basically declared that anyone who directly supports gamerghazi is an asshole.