JonCole

"Ethics and Journalistic Integrity"

Get ready for some noise by the way because Intel is the first company convinced to pull ads from a site. Supposedly. The GG people claim to have gotten Intel to pull their ads from Gamasutra.

Sadly it's only a tweet with this image. No idea how true it is or isn't.

https://twitter.com/Aclippinger/status/517346738680504321

By38HfECcAAlWhA.png

Also just noticed this tweet. Look how many people are in agreement with "don't argue sensibly."

https://twitter.com/Sargon_of_Akkad/status/517353376305016832

#GamerGate tactical advice: Give your opponents nothing that they ask for. Sources, information, names, arguments. They are panicking.

Seen a lot of "screenshots" like that. Wouldn't put much faith in it.

Get ready for some noise by the way because Intel is the first company convinced to pull ads from a site. Supposedly. The GG people claim to have gotten Intel to pull their ads from Gamasutra.

It's the third time I know of that the gaters have claimed to have gotten advertising removed from a site (Scottrade from Polygon, BestBuy from Kotaku and now Intel from Gamasutra). In all three cases the "proof" has been a customer service email someone claimed to have received from the company. Like, a CS email from a low level employee manning the public customer service inbox. And so far I haven't seen multiple people receive these emails, it's always just been the same image surfed around on Twitter amongst the gaters.

It's the third time I know of that the gaters have claimed to have gotten advertising removed from a site (Scottrade from Polygon, BestBuy from Kotaku and now Intel from Gamasutra). In all three cases the "proof" has been a customer service email someone claimed to have received from the company. Like, a CS email from a low level employee manning the public customer service inbox. And so far I haven't seen multiple people receive these emails, it's always just been the same image surfed around on Twitter amongst the gaters.

That's why I cast it into doubt, but the thing it will do is continue to make these chucklefucks do what they do.

That's why I cast it into doubt, but the thing it will do is continue to make these chucklefucks do what they do.

Yeah, I was mostly just clarifying that it had happened at least twice with similar proof provided.

So, are we all complicit with the sending of syringes to Milo?

Interesting question, and one I've already pondered (there are crazy shitheads on our side as well).

1. I haven't seen any evidence that the syringe was actually related to GG. Dude fucking works for Breitbart, one of the most inflammatory sites on the net and he writes about more than just video games (including sexuality, gender and trans issues). So guy writes lots of shitty, hateful stuff. Receives threatening package. Declares it's because of gamer gate. Eh.

2. The difference, to me, is that GG started from a baseline of being angry at women in gaming. That's the origin point, and continues to be a focus. And it continues to ignore any of the actual ethical issues that affect gaming and journalism. So when you identify as a gater, you're identifying with a movement that started with harassment and continued to evolve into a witch hunt with blinders on. If you're against the gaters, you believe (by and large, I think) that gaming needs more indie, women and minority voices and that the ones we have shouldn't be harassed and threatened.

The thing is, the bile that gets directed at Leigh is nothing new. She's had to deal with this sort of toxicity since forever. She is like the matador's red flag for shitty dudes.

I vaguely recall a podcast in the long distant past where she said something about "the kinds of people who enjoy the writing in Bioware rpgs" and totally having a knee-jerk defensive reaction (I was playing Dragon Age at the time and loving it).  In retrospect I wonder why I had such a strong response  -- I'm sure I've been a hundred times more snarky in off the cuff remarks before and especially if drinking.  I could have read the tone as particularly offensive in part because I was more inclined to see women as outsiders in gaming, so it sounded like an outsider talking down on games and the people who like who like them.  Certainly with the gamers-are-dead article *today* I don't think if a man had written the exact same article they would nearly have gotten as much shit.

And the asymmetric format of twitter can really magnify tensions.  You see a mean tweet and think woah, that seems pretty hurtful. Then you realize: there are 100 people shouting at that person, but you only see the lone frustrated tweet they let out in response.  

Also people against gamergate haven't gotten a single specific barrier to fly under the same way GamerGate is trying to mobilise as a group. We're not really claiming to all be of one mind, but they are.

The thing is, the bile that gets directed at Leigh is nothing new. She's had to deal with this sort of toxicity since forever. She is like the matador's red flag for shitty dudes.

That reminds me of something I think Elizabeth Simins (of Gaming's Feminist Illuminati) said - that as far as she was concerned Gamergate had settled into the background radiation of Internet harassment, because she was now back to getting only as much harassment and abuse as she normally got for being a woman with opinions on the Internet - it's just that a chunk of it was now Gamergate branded.

#GamerGate tactical advice: Give your opponents nothing that they ask for. Sources, information, names, arguments. They are panicking.

Man, this just shows that these folks are confused and probably in need of some mental help. Who is "they" in this sentence? These folks actually believe that there is some sort of motivated anti-gamer group out there. It's sad. I've stopped being angry and just feel pitty. I can't imagine what it must be like to believe the whole world is against you all the time.

Man, this just shows that these folks are confused and probably in need of some mental help. Who is "they" in this sentence? These folks actually believe that there is some sort of motivated anti-gamer group out there. It's sad. I've stopped being angry and just feel pitty. I can't imagine what it must be like to believe the whole world is against you all the time.

I would feel a lot more pity if they weren't still a huge angry mob that pose a fairly direct threat to a number of people I respect. Just because they're pathetic doesn't mean they're not dangerous.

Now for the counter-campaign where Intel is informed of who they catered to and what cause their action supports.

I think it's still hilarious that gamergaters think that they're the core audience of gamasutra, a site for developers -- a group which by and large detests gamergaters. Maybe a group of developers, the ACTUAL audience of gamasutra, should clue Intel in on this fact.

Dang indeed.

They're not making any of the inroads with advertisers and sponsors they thought they were

:foot in mouth:

Probably worth a bunch of industry people writing to Intel…

GamerGate supporters imagine themselves to be many things. The foremost problem being that they think their consumerism alone is what keeps the video game industry alive. Which was Leigh Alexander's original point; no, they aren't that, and yet they're still included.

But any time I tried to point that out, it turned into hating on Leigh and no longer having a discussion on the misconception.

Also I've been meaning to say this for a long while but this is my visual impression of the GamerGate folks:

Leigh Alexander is, after all, the Antichrist of gaming.

ugh vomit barf

Well considering there's a paper-trail (well, links you can view) of GamerGate folks conspiring to mass-spam advertisers, I'm willing to bet whatever 'victories' they've had will be overturned. In this tweet is a link to GG planning to be a shitshow.

https://twitter.com/tonitonirocca/status/517427996823920642

I don't doubt Intel would reverse their decision once they get informed, and/or find out they were just spammed by the few.

Edit - Advertisers pulling from content makers usually only means something when they act without prompting. See: Rush Limbaugh. People don't have to write in to advertisers to convince them to pull from his show. He does something, and advertisers respond immediately.

In the last twenty minutes or so my Twitter feed has exploded with people shaming Intel on this decision.