JonCole

"Ethics and Journalistic Integrity"

Gamergate thread deletion has been going on for weeks there, it's just been on and off. No one knows exactly why; at first the gaters assumed it was a rogue mod.

Right, wasn't that the cause for the mid-stage theory that Quinn had enslaved even 4chan mods with her vagina?

Really, if Zoe can control the lofty heights of 4chan mods with the mere suggestion of her vagina, why do these sex-obsessed losers hate her so much? She's obviously in possession of the single most powerful female attribute since Helen's face, so why all the meanness? Why aren't they sucking up to our soon-to-be overlord of feminism and sex? Games journalism is obviously the first step towards her seducing the entire Senate and House and putting all men in bondage to women for their amusement. Why are they making themselves enemies of this supposed revolution? Do they want to be at the low end of the 'Men that Women will use for sexual gratification in the post-revolution era' chart? What is their goal, if the situation to them is so dire?

Also, not directed at anyone, but I have a slight problem with even justifying any of the gamergate shit as even vaguely relating to "Ethics and Journalistic Integrity.". It really isn't. It has never been. It's always been blatant sexism and hate. Why use their language, even in a place that is mostly mocking it? Why are we deciding that the very few places that have bothered to change their ethics or disclosure policies are doing it in response to any legitimate criticism instead of in response to not losing views because the viewers are misogynists? Why even jokingly justify the complaint? They clearly have no self awareness in their rage, so why call it this? I'm just tired of giving any ground to them. I'm so fucking tired of this being a thing we're willing to earnestly engage on. They are not. We are willingly wearing ourselves down on a rock of complete and willing ignorance. We can't grind it down. We can't joke them away. I know them, I was one of them, and they simply do not care about argument or discussion, and I'm tired of treating them like earnest opponents instead of organized hecklers.

That's pointlessly angsty but I'm going to leave it there because fuck it. Angst and anger are about my only emotions this month. Fuck everything. I'm at the 'will physically assault people if they express those views in person' stage of fury. I seemingly don't have whatever well of patience and calmness some people have. I'm just a pissed as fuck farm boy. There were 60 people living in the nearest town, all white-ass immigrant germans and swedes, and if I can stop being a (consciously, personal change happens slowly and intentionally, I know.) total dick to women and poc then GOD DAMMIT they will too or I will personally beat it into their pathetic fucking skulls. 

That's also angsty. I guess I'm past this being a debate. I'm past anything but blind rage. I can't contribute helpfully to anything like this anymore because of that fact and it only makes me all the more enraged. Does anyone know of a useful path for this? Is there a legal or rhetorical way I can metaphorically grab my club and do something useful? I have the inclination but no personal experience in anything other than 'might makes right', and I don't want to fall into that trap. (regardless how tempting it is.) 

In other news, I'm self-concerned and mad. More at 11.

I kinda made this topic and put it in quotes because I thought that the actual argument as it currently stands about ethics and journalistic integrity is bunk. I basically stopped reading the thread with regularity at some point because some people seemed to take the threads existence as license that GG has any point whatsoever.

Yeah, you are specifically the person I meant. I figured that's why it was in quotes. I only read because it I only feel anger anymore and it's nice to feel at least that.

I still love you. I still love everyone. I am simply drunk and should be ignored anyway.

Wasn't this thread created to get a bunch of distracting bullshit out of the feminism thread? That way discussion could progress without all the "yes but" nonsense at every turn.

At least, that's how I understood it.

Sorry but the abbreviation gater is really funny to me because of the image of a bunch of alligators typing angrily with stubby arms and lying in bogs waiting for conspiracy material to snatch up.

Ignore me.

So uh, if anyone followed GG you probably saw a Breitbart writer named Milo (Nero) backs them and has done "investigations" for them (which oddly center on "Did Anita Sarkeesian really call the cops?" and oh yes she did).

So uh. I couldn't help but notice the guy has some... thoughts... about transgenderism. I'm linking to his tweets, of which the 1st and 3rd have links to a blog and article he's written respectively, but for those I'm going to have to lay out a big, fat TRIGGER WARNING because wtf in the case of the latter.

https://twitter.com/Nero/status/512262429531967488

https://twitter.com/Nero/status/512262787222228992

https://twitter.com/Nero/status/512263014037598208

I imagine that this was prompted by links being posted to this article, in which he misgenders Chelsea Manning throughout and goes off on a transphobic ramble in the very first paragraph (so you know, warning and stuff).

(Although if he can't bring himself to refer to trans people by their chosen gender, God alone knows what happens when he finds out about bronies.)

Sorry but the abbreviation gater is really funny to me because of the image of a bunch of alligators typing angrily with stubby arms and lying in bogs waiting for conspiracy material to snatch up.

Ignore me.

I made this, for some reason.

Gaters.jpg

Milo is a real piece of work. I'd heard of him before GamerGate, due to people I follow on Twitter being generally disgusted by him. If I saw him giving his backing to a cause I was part of, I would be out of there SO hard.

Milo had more to say on that by the way:

https://twitter.com/Nero/status/512320750184054784

@encratica @girlonetrack Ohhhh okay. Just so we all know your Twitter support is meaningless. Jeez, hope you made her go to the clinic.

https://twitter.com/Nero/status/512320896963710976

@encratica @girlonetrack Did she show you her 'all clear' slip? Because, man to man, I'd be worried. Just saying.

https://twitter.com/Nero/status/512323457359818754

@encratica @girlonetrack Whereas you guys have an entire Galaxy of STDs to explore together. Well, you win!

Milo had more to say on that by the way:

I was just about to post those, he had a couple of more as well.  It's sad, he gives juveniles a bad name. 

I don't wanna link to his article but Milo's teased big explosion today is something about a secret mailing list for jounalists. It sounds like the sorta thing I'd read on the cover of a magazine also showing a picture of Batboy.

I saw something similar about liberal journalists on Drudge Report recently, like talking to like-minded people who work in your field is something new or scandalous.

I think that was also reported on Breitbart. Maybe someone should expose the nefarious dealings of Breitbart journalists, who I'm sure regularly get lunch together to scheme to wrest power from the hands of the Lizardmen.

Here's something fun Milo wrote about Elliot Rodger, in case you were somehow still wondering how little integrity a man could have:

Bxy5Og3CUAAEzmN.png

Wait. Didn't he join Twitch at the weekend and started off by playing Portal 2, explaining that it was his "first real video game" or something to that effect?

I have no idea what he's even trying to say in that quoted piece. It reads like, "Video games cause violence! But they don't cause rape. But they do cause rape! But who cares because games are all bullshit anyway." How does someone who can't form a coherent thought like that become a journalist in the first place?