melmer

P.T (Playable Teaser for Silent Hills)

I guess some people like being scared. No fucking clue why.

I like horror for a lot of reasons, and being scared is only one of them.  But on that specifically, it's not so much being scared for me, as it is this collection of emotional and mental reactions that are clustered around fear, including both stress and panic.  It's maybe a little sick, but I like feeling those things sometimes.   Sometimes what I want is to tap into that panic, that stress, that gut wrench.  And good horror is a way visit that emotional place.

Good lord I have not played anything that has forced me to put down the controller and walk away out of fear for a long, long time. Not since having to hide in my pillow-fort peeking out to try and play Silent Hill 2. 

omgwtf.gif

I think I agree with Danielle though in that P.T. is likely going to be a lot scarier than whatever Silent Hills turns out to be. 

I like to think of myself as a brave lady, but even after watching a P.T. stream, I was terrified when I physically took over the controller. I kept staring at the floor in-game to take "breaks" from the tension. 

Same here. Took every precaution possible (lights on, pillow fort, girlfriend by my side) and still couldn't go past the third or so loop. 

When did a Playable Teaser that is a fun little experiment need normal ass game progression? Also PT only got me about two times but It scared the shit out of my friend right next to me. Condemned: Criminal Origins is probably the most frighting game I played but that was at a different time in a dark empty house all by myself. Condemned pushed you enough so you couldn't see the strings because you also needed to react to the game.

EDIT:Also frightened not terrified Condemned is a roller coaster inside a haunted house.

I definitely get where you're coming from wrt: suspension of disbelief. It's easy for me to start counting shots, or think about the lighting in a given scene, etc, when I start to get spooked.

But I really enjoy being disturbed by horror fiction, even if it's cheesy as hell.

While we were in the car on the way back from the stream you mentioned, I was musing with my friends about *why* I like horror so much. Horror bothered me when I was young. Now, I love that there's something I can engage in that reminds me I'm not crazy for being absolutely terrified by things like disease, aging and death, loss of control/agency or the possibility of hurting/being hurt by loved ones. The fact that these themes are explored (often in the most unsubtle ways) in horror means a whole lot of people are scared right alongside me. It's not always so literal in real life, but those fears are always there, lurking.

I like to think of myself as a brave lady, but even after watching a P.T. stream, I was terrified when I physically took over the controller. I kept staring at the floor in-game to take "breaks" from the tension. 

Y'know, this has me thinking about how I conduct myself in real life. I'm not adventurous at all, and live my life to guard my mortality as much as possible. It's more or less constant fear, though it's easily shirked by telling people 'no.' Playing games, I don't often relate things to real life in any way, not unless someone brings it up in discussion. It evokes thoughts and all, but fear is never an emotional response I've had.

I like horror for a lot of reasons, and being scared is only one of them.  But on that specifically, it's not so much being scared for me, as it is this collection of emotional and mental reactions that are clustered around fear, including both stress and panic.  It's maybe a little sick, but I like feeling those things sometimes.   Sometimes what I want is to tap into that panic, that stress, that gut wrench.  And good horror is a way visit that emotional place.

Kinda understand that. I love competitive games because I get a kick out of the stress involved. Still hate horror games though, I don't like being freaked out. Entirely personal preference, I know the survival horror genre is loved, but I've never been able to get into them.

PT was just too intense for me, especially with that motion blur and how the camera shakes as you move. All that culminated in me having to turn it off. I only heard one bang and that was just enough.

Interesting how people enjoy the feeling of fear though; something that we are meant to dislike from an evolutionary perspective. 

Kinda understand that. I love competitive games because I get a kick out of the stress involved. Still hate horror games though, I don't like being freaked out. Entirely personal preference, I know the survival horror genre is loved, but I've never been able to get into them.

PT was just too intense for me, especially with that motion blur and how the camera shakes as you move. All that culminated in me having to turn it off. I only heard one bang and that was just enough.

Interesting how people enjoy the feeling of fear though; something that we are meant to dislike from an evolutionary perspective.

You guys are making me think a little about religion in this context.

As a pretty solid atheist, horror movies/books and good live music concerts are about the only things that for me recapitulate quasi-religious feelings I experienced as a child/adolescent. Supernatural dread is probably more appealing when it's one of the only supernatural-feeling experiences you can generate for yourself, you know?

I feel the same, though I'd argue old, pre-MGS4 Kojima games did have a very specific tone that he'd hit constantly. The problem now is that Kojima wants to tell dark, grimy stories about genocide, civil warfare, racism, sexual assault, torture, filled to the brim with Guantanamo Bay references, and Sacco and Vanzetti allusions...while also having the game feature a Voldemort looking ass villain called SKULLFACE, poop jokes, wacky easter eggs, campy lines ("They played us like a GODDAMN FIDDLE"), and zany cardboard box shenanigans featuring naked swimsuit model sprays. Like, Kojima has always been insidiously sexist and fucking stupid, but once MGS4 and then MGS: GZ came out, it stopped being cute and playful, and became plain offensive and shameless. I find it hard to trust this kind of guy to tackle this specific series.

I love your summary here and I agree 100%. That's all I have to add.

I'm pretty sure i read that some silent hill gameplay will be shown at TGS in 2/3 days time. okay probably not gameplay.

um, that is all

oh wow, i'll pop the trailer in here

HOLY SHIT

I wonder if they are going to go the VR route for this game. The game would be far better for it, they'll just have to let Norman down gently that they wont be using his likeness much

I loved, loved, loved the ending!

I even didn't notice at first viewing how the final doorway appears from nothing.

I guess the trailer worked because I'm now desperate to know how they handle the more otherworldly stuff. It's kind of silly but I was also very happy too see the fans at the end of the hallway, those and the final stairscase give me hope that the new team knows that a big part of SH was/is making the mundane feel oppressive. (Although P.T. kind of made that clear already...)

I'm not even sure if this is a game yet or just an awesome virtual haunted house. To be honest, I'd be super happy with the haunted house idea more than video game.

I finally remembered to try out P.T. tonight.  I'm not sure I've ever been as unnerved by a game as I was this.  Got to the fourth or fifth loop and decided I didn't need to play anymore right before I went to bed. 

The three glasses of wine I had with supper and playing cards might have had something to do with it.  I'm going to blame that. 

That's sad. Del Toro will never make a Video Game.

Better download Silent Hills now, will play it when I grow up.

Konami is committed to new Silent Hill titles, however the embryonic ‘Silent Hills’ project developed with Guillermo del Toro and featuring the likeness of Norman Reedus will not be continued.

In terms of Kojima and Del Toro being involved, discussions on future Silent Hill projects are currently underway, and please stay tuned for further announcements.

http://kotaku.com/its-official-silent-hills-is-cancelled-1700379816

1362713678_black-kid-crying-tear.gif

I find the way that the gaming community flip-flops between "hype is killing the industry" and tearing their clothes in mourning of a nebulously-existing possible-game quite interesting.