melmer

Gamescom 2014: Sprechen Sie deutsch?

They made a BWOOOOOONG trailer for what is essentially Rollercoaster Tycoon?

Oh know rite, all like subverting expectation n shit :) maybe I've just never had this particular itch scratched as I've never played roller coaster tycoon, but that looks crazy fun

Wild is the most interesting thing I've seen shown so far.

We should make an idle thumbs clan and all play as puffins

This is actually a pretty fucking great trailer from the Microsoft briefing

Yo Microsoft, I’m really happy for you, Imma let you finish but Disney had one of the best create-and-ride-a-roller-coaster games of all time…

DQzMrDh.jpg

I got Rollercoaster Tycoon in a GOG sale, I should really go and play that dumb game again. So much nostalgia.

yeah you're right, paying closer attention to the wording, 'exclusive in 2015' could end up being just a timed exclusive for one month and it'll come on on PS4 Jan 2016

Apparently it's "exclusive for holiday 2015" which doesn't mean a hell of a lot. There's some serious hate going around, people can get crazy over some dumb stuff. However I have absolutely no interest in Tomb Raider after the last instalment. 

We should make an idle thumbs clan and all play as puffins

The Idle Thumbs Puffin Flock, a video games clan exclusive to Wild, exclusive to the Playstation 4, exclusively designed by Michel Ancel.

I feel like I'd be spoiling the game for myself if I watch this a second time

weird feeling of Wind Waker here; animation style, lots of water, islands, even the tower

very pretty though, i always appreciate imaginative animated stone things (1:24).  when i finally get a ps4 in 20XX i'll have it on my watch-for list

WiLD (is it really capitalized like that........)

I want to play this game. I was already planning on getting a PS4 as soon as I got a job. This is just another reason. The giant underwater skeleton and the giant tree lady. Plus Ancel. Yes. Yes.

Did I miss something about gameplay from Wild(Not going to go with that dumb capitalization if its real) because I have literally no idea what the game is from that trailer.

Is it like Tokyo Jungle or something?

"The open-world game features an enormous universe, dynamic weather, and the ability to play as any creature you wish. "Devoted to the wilderness," its promotional text says. "Set 10,000 years ago when nature and humanity were one."

Ancel expleined, "We wanted to make a very specific type of game," and on a single platform. "Our concept is based on experiencing new situations each time you play."

"The open-world game features an enormous universe, dynamic weather, and the ability to play as any creature you wish. "Devoted to the wilderness," its promotional text says. "Set 10,000 years ago when nature and humanity were one."

Ancel expleined, "We wanted to make a very specific type of game," and on a single platform. "Our concept is based on experiencing new situations each time you play."

Okay cool, but that still doesn't tell me what kind of game this is... am I playing any creature like a third person adventure game? Are there skills, stats, items, etc..? Saying universe instead of world... what does that mean?

Anyway, not to be too hard on it, just the trailer told me nothing and the description only fills people with imagination which seems odd since it mentions "a specific type of game" but give no real details on exactly what kind of game it is.

Those are good questions, but at this point I'm willing to give Ancel the benefit of the doubt that the mechanics will be compelling and that more will be revealed about it.  For a teaser, it did it's job.  I am teased.

must read

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=125093717&postcount=786

And in the long gone yesteryear
Don Mattrick's words made Redmond cheer
"Ten million first shall win this race!"
He said, with grin upon his face.

"The coming battle shall be won right here,
With games like Halo and Forza and Gears."
He ended his statement with a triumphant nod
Secure in his love from the gaming gods

His words stoked fires among the fans
Each camp clenched swords in bloodied hands
The system warz began again
Three noble fighters, each sure to win

Microsoft, of course, had their white box
Sleek, and powerful, and filled with lots
Of games to play with friends new and old
Or even watch Netflix (if you paid for Gold)

The box upon which SCE was betting
Had power, confusion, and printer settings
The games would look and run so swell
If developers could handle the goddamn Cell

And in the third corner of the ring
Stood the tiny offering from the former king
An innovative waggle-box called the Wii
Would eventually win, quite handily

But fear not brave warriors! War is not through!
Nintendo returned with the shiny WiiU!
It's a console! It's a tablet! It's both things combined!
It's the word "underwhelming," redefined

The other two fighters each had a son
The 360 gave birth to the Xbox One
Underpowered, TV-focused, and chained to Kinect
It struggles to gain traction, or even respect

PS3's new child has shot up the charts
Sleek and powerful, with a gaming heart
It seems quite destined to stay far ahead
Unless Sony acts like Sony and shits in the bed

But now that Gamescom '14 is here at long last
Words did echo from deep in the past
"The first to 10 million shall win at all cost!"
Hung from Microsoft's neck like a stone albatross

So now Tokyo laughs as Redmond sneers
And Lara Croft's eyes well up with tears
For bad news has arrived for the mighty Xbone
PS4 was the first to reach Don's milestone

So

is what Bioware's "You Have Been Chosen" campaign thing has been about? Seems way less tonally sinister than I was lead to believe. 

So

is what Bioware's "You Have Been Chosen" campaign thing has been about? Seems way less tonally sinister than I was lead to believe. 

Wow, this video is so tonally different from the earlier teasers it's bordering on Dead Island levels of misleading. I was sure I was watching a trailer for something completely unrelated until the tagline came up at the end. 

Ugh, video games I guess.

I don't know what it is, but I'm completely adverse to modern day setting with people fighting with magic and swords.

I think enough games have tried it and fell completely flat. I think I've been burnt enough times to just get queasy any time I see anyone try it again.

The Dead Island comparison is an interesting one because the teaser for that game was clearly made by a creative company that's more creative than the people making the final product.

It looks incredibly bland and pretty low fidelity compared to what else is being offered. It's a shame 'coz the teasers were pretty exciting

I'm fine with "urban fantasy" as a genre, but that game looked very, very dull. The art direction for the big bad monster looked really bland and the game itself didn't seem to be all that interesting either.