erlog

Nuclear Throne: Oh! I accidentally ate my gun.

I am so pissed off at the way this game keeps sucking me through level portals before I can pick up the guns in a level. I know that the portal spawns near the last enemy I killed (except when it sometimes doesn't) and that hasn't helped me avoid the portal spawning on top of me, or between me and the gun I want to pick up. Is there any way to avoid this? Does anyone know of a mod to make the portals suck less?

The portal should suck near by weapons into it, so they're there in the next level. 

It's really easy to have the portal spawn on top of me (often when I don't realize I"m killing the last enemy because there's more level left unexplored) with weapons out of reach, or to have the portal spawn between me and the gun I want so that I can no longer access it.

There is an audio cue that plays when there is one enemy left in the level to let you know there is one enemy left in the level.

There is an audio cue that plays when there is one enemy left in the level to let you know there is one enemy left in the level.

Sigh. Why doesn't this game explain its systems better?

If it weren't for the wiki, I wouldn't know about how to spawn large chests, I wouldn't understand the radiation-charged portal, and I'd still think the IDPD were a force like the Spelunky Ghost that spawn to punish you for taking too long.

Any other hidden systems I should know about?

Edit: That is the worst audio cue. Knowing that it's there, even knowing when it's going to trigger, I cannot hear it. I had to Google it just to make sure it really existed.

Those things are all supposed to be found secrets ala Spelunky. I don't really know how the portal to the crowns works even though I've had this thing a year (or however long). I THINK I do.

There is another really big secret, yep.

It's also ok to not like the game, though I do a good deal.

All of the secrets I mentioned are systems I managed to activate accidentally, without understanding them. Without any idea what was happening, I had no appreciation for it. The first time I accidentally opened a crown portal, I didn't go in the scary green vortex, and the second time I only did because I couldn't find the regular portal and assumed the green portal replaced it. I managed to unlock Horror without even realizing I had done something special (I thought it was just a "Get to level X-Y" affair). I assumed Large chests were completely random until the wiki told me otherwise, at which point it felt like the game had been withholding the information for no reason.

I get the feeling that this sort of game just isn't for you. You dislike Binding of Isaac for the exact same reason.

I am actually liking this game a lot. The weird hidden systems are not a deal-breaker (especially since there's few enough of them that a quick trip to the wiki can commit them to memory) and as much as I hate the sucky portals, it doesn't happen that often.

After a series of small downloads in the last couple of days, I can no longer play the game.

it stays stuck on one of the opening screens and does not move past it. Deleting and reinstalling the game does nothing.

I am actually liking this game a lot. The weird hidden systems are not a deal-breaker (especially since there's few enough of them that a quick trip to the wiki can commit them to memory) and as much as I hate the sucky portals, it doesn't happen that often.

That's good, I think it's fantastic. For the portals...just accept that they add to the chaos of the game. Nuclear Throne isn't about planning everything perfectly, it's about panicking through a hail of gunfire and making tactics up as you go along. Portals are just a factor of that. 

Is the daily/weekly leaderboard broken for everyone else?

Not that I ever place anywhere near the top, anyway...

I keep dying to the 5-3 boss, and I have no idea what to do. Every time I get to 5-3 I spawn into a large open area full of enemies, at which point I begin the hectic process of trying to kill an open room without dying horribly, the boss spawns with tons of enemies still alive and things turn into a bullet hell for about ten seconds, then I go splat. Am I just supposed to take Hammerhead or an explosive weapon so that I can dig into the wall and fight the boss somewhere away from all the enemies?

Unrelated, I've noticed a strange thing about the grenade launchers. The sticky grenade launcher is just worse than the regular one, since not exploding on contact means the enemy has seconds to either shoot or kamikaze you. Despite that, I find the sticky launcher way more satisfying to use, and I couldn't say why that is. Does anyone else feel this way, and have any idea why?

Edit: Also, I've unlocked skins and golden weapons, but from the character select screen it looks like you can somehow unlock crowns too. Despite having gotten crowns, I haven't unlocked them for this screen, does anyone know how that works?

@Ninety-Three,

Whenever you see hammerhead, pick it up.  Tunneling yourself into a cover from bad level start like that can save you~

Otherwise hope you got enough guns to power through.

I haven't seen it work yet on either platform.

I've gotten extremely fond of playing Robot with Crown of Guns. Aside from being an obviously powerful synergy, the Crown of Guns just makes the game more fun as it makes it easier to find your favorite weapons, and encourages you to vary your weapon use. Going for Heavy Heart (see spoiler) adds a lot of reward for the weapon variety as well.

Here is a list of a bunch of the useful obscure/hidden mechanics I've found. I encourage you to click the spoiler, each of them has made my game more fun for knowing it.

Large chests: If you don't open a weapon chest on a level, it will add 25% to your large chest chance (which starts at 0%). Whenever a weapon chest spawns, it rolls against your large chest chance and may instead spawn as a large weapon chest which contains three weapons. Once you open a large chest, your large chest chance drops back to 0%.

Golden weapons: Normally these only spawn after looping the game, but you can get access to them early by bringing a screwdriver to 3-1 and using it on the car with the gold-trim. It will take you to a level with a golden weapon chest. Golden weapons are improved versions of regular weapons which are permanently unlocked for a character to use as their starting weapon.

Crown portals (The wooden diamond structures that spawn on 3-2 and 5-2): First, deal 40ish damage to them to "ready" the portal. This will cause several IDPD to spawn. The portal sucks in rads with a huge range, once it eats 24 rads it will be charged (a little green ball shows up in the center). Deal it 40ish more damage and it will open a portal to the Crown Vault (plus trigger some more IDPD).

Crown Vaults: You get to pick a crown which gives you a permanent bonus for the rest of the run. For each Crown Vault you visit, chests now spawn loot from one level higher than they normally would. If you beat the Throne with a crown, you permanently unlock that crown as a starting crown for that character.

If you enter a Crown Vault with a crown, you find the Proto Chest, which lets you swap your current weapon for whatever's in the chest. The weapon you put in the chest is saved across playthroughs and characters, so you can give it to a later character.

The Proto chest is a good way to distribute golden weapons. If you store Robot's golden crossbow in it, Robot loses the crossbow on that playthrough, but it's sitll set as Robot's golden weapon for next time. Then take Y.V. to the chest and pick up the crossbow to set it as his golden weapon: duplication!

Heavy Heart: If you take three of the weapon-specific mutations (Recycle Gland, Shotgun Shoulders, Laser Brain, Bolt Marrow, Long Arms, Boiling Veins), this special perk will be added to the pool of available perks. It gives 210% increased rate of gun drops (I'm not sure if that means approximately double drops, or triple), and it stacks with things like the Crown of Guns, which is rad.

Pizza Sewers: In the sewers, you will find this manhole: 

Pizza_Sewer_Manhole.png

Hit it with something explosive and you will go to the Pizza Sewers, an easy bonus level. Visiting it will make all chests drop weapons one level higher than they normally would.

Looping: If you destroy the four large generators in the Nuclear Throne room, killing the Throne will not end the game. Instead you fight a secret boss, then return to level 1-1 and play through game in New Game+, with the threat level of everything increased.

This game is so moreish. but man.. 

Lil hunter is the hardest dang thing in the game, right? I've only died once to the throne and never died to the super secret final boss, but that little blue dickbag takes me out like 95% of the time

I can never get it to load either.

Unrelated, I've noticed a strange thing about the grenade launchers. The sticky grenade launcher is just worse than the regular one, since not exploding on contact means the enemy has seconds to either shoot or kamikaze you. Despite that, I find the sticky launcher way more satisfying to use, and I couldn't say why that is. Does anyone else feel this way, and have any idea why?

I think its just the hella huge explosion the sticky launcher gets

Lil hunter is the hardest dang thing in the game, right? I've only died once to the throne and never died to the super secret final boss, but that little blue dickbag takes me out like 95% of the time

Same. Although I once had a hilariously easy encounter in which I two shotted him with a point-blank Great Crossbow (the one that shoots a five bolt spread). The biggest thing I seem to be able to control is going full auto with my weapons to clear as much of the area as I can before he spawns (and clear out more enemies whenever he flies somewhere off screen, without line-of-fire to me).

pro tip i heard on the forums that i just tried out that i also think is gonna get nerfed

taking scary face + gamma guts renders you effectively invulnerable to the robo-yetis in the snow level, as the gamma guts is enough to kill them in one hit before they ever get close enough to damage you

I've gotten far better at dealing with Lil Hunter since I developed a more aggressive play style. Honestly, I just gave up on preserving ammo and go for the biggest, spammiest weapons. It's a bit riskier but I tend to favour characters/perks that give me more of a safety net in terms of ammo anyway (Robot 4 lyfe), so it all works out. From there I mediate between taking cover from nasty stuff and just going all-in on rooms full of baddies if I feel like I can deal with them (basically anything with shots I can dodge, melee enemies I'm way more careful with).

But yeah, dealing with Lil Hunter is largely a matter of being able to clear a room before he shows up and having some reliable cover. Having some kind of bow weapon makes the snow levels a breeze, too. Even a basic crossbow 1-shots everything but the bots, and they're easy to deal with anyway.

Is robot everyones fave? I'm also a big fan, but its a tough choice between him, steroids (for convenience) and YV (because one shotting the final boss with a brrrap is fun)

Robot is the safest pick, in my mind. He (?) finds better guns out of the gate, which can be huge if you get a hyper rifle or something crazy and you're still only on snow, and he has safety in the form of ammo and HP (especially w/ butt) from guns.

In terms of the other "safe" picks, I tried giving Fish and Crystal a fair shot but I could never use their abilities very well. Same with Steroids, I just can't seem to make dual guns work for me. Most of the others, like Eyes or Plant, I just forget their ability is even there. Y.V. is my favourite pick for just melting everything's face off (don't get me started on Melting, though :(). Plus, any kind of double shotgun + throne butt + bouncy shells = yeeeeeeeeeees.

Man, I really gotta unlock Rebel and Rogue again. They were the most fun to play as if I wasn't trying to go for a "proper" run.

Edit: Oh god this post fell apart and I had to edit it about 7 times. Sorry if you replied early.

Is robot everyones fave? I'm also a big fan, but its a tough choice between him, steroids (for convenience) and YV (because one shotting the final boss with a brrrap is fun)

Robot is my favorite, but only since I started going for Crown of Guns. Before that I was a big fan of Steroids, whose ability totally worked for me (you have to select weapons to work well with it, I'm especially fond of crossbow, shotgun or shovel in the alt slot).

Has anyone ever made explosive weapons work? Almost every time I decide to use an explosive weapon long term, that weapon is what ends up killing me.

I love explosives against my better judgment. I try to only use them when I'm super focussed on the game and getting good results, not when I'm playing casually and messing up a bunch. I find they work well with something that can keep enemies away if they come in close (like those bastard crystal spiders), like a shotgun or a meaty melee weapon.

Edit: Also there are blood explosives which are fantastic and completely safe, even though I never seem to find them. Just watch your ammo counter!

I don't have Robot or Steroids again yet. :[

I'm curious how people play this. I play it a lot like I play Diablo- as a fun way to be mindless. I have a feeling people are much more focused than me here.