erlog

Nuclear Throne: Oh! I accidentally ate my gun.

Skipping weapon chests increases the chance of a big weapon chest appearing on the next level.

From the wiki:

Contains 3 weapons and a large amount of ammo for those weapons (2 Mini Ammo Chest pickups for each weapon).

If you leave a regular Weapon Chest unopened, there's a 25% chance for a Large Weapon Chest to spawn on the next level. The chance adds up for every skipped Weapon Chest, so not opening 4 Weapon Chests in a row guarantees that the 5th one will be a Large Weapon Chest.

Wat? Where did you read this?

Skipping the experience tubes can also be useful (though this should be done without having it spoiled if you've never done it before).

I had also never realized how Chicken's headless ability worked.  I guess I had never managed to actually heal in the few seconds you get with him. 

The chests thing isn't really a spoiler. I learned that could happen because it came up as a hint on the loading screen.  :)

They changed chicken's special ability some time in the last 3 weeks! I have really enjoyed watching this game come together.

The chests thing isn't a spoiler, but I think the rad canister thing would qualify as one.

Chicken's new special looks really fun. 

The chests thing isn't really a spoiler. I learned that could happen because it came up as a hint on the loading screen.  :)

They changed chicken's special ability some time in the last 3 weeks! I have really enjoyed watching this game come together.

I didn't know that was new!  I really haven't paid any attention to the patch logs for this.

The chests thing isn't a spoiler, but I think the rad canister thing would qualify as one.

Chicken's new special looks really fun. 

Yeah, that's what I was specifically saying shouldn't be spoiled.  The chest thing is just a natural mechanic to me, but the tube thing isn't necessarily as obvious.  Speaking of the tube thing:

I love that character.  The special beam that burns experience is amazing for taking down big enemies where you won't miss many shots, and getting to pick from 5 instead of 4 mutations makes putting together a good build even easier. 

Man, I'm running into the problem now that my favourite characters to play, by far, are Rebel and Rogue. Problem being they're basically the two most difficult. Compared to everyone else though, their early game is so much more interesting. The worst part of restarting a run, really, is how dull the desert levels are to start. Rebel gets her clones which you can spam to get free XP and zerg those levels in no time, and Rogue has the free mini assault rifle and airstrike. Except Rebel plays like you're constantly balancing on a knife's edge and Rogue has the surprise IDPD attacks... both of which are also what make them awesome characters, but it's like I'm choosing between having fun and actually progressing now, and I really wanna get to the throne just once.

I just unlocked Horror though, and he's, uhh... neat?

FUCK. First time I managed to get to the end and I died instantly.

I didn't realise it was just gonna straight up stomp on me. Even chewed right through my strong spirit.  :(

PSEMakI.png

Edit: This album makes a great companion to playing this game.

WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?!

Mean as fuck is what it is.  It's a secret that you luckily randomly stumbled across.  If you want to know more, increasingly bigger spoilers:

It's a special monster that only spawns if you do a certain thing, which is...

Skip breaking rad tubes on two consecutive levels.  The super secret thing about it is that it's...

the last unlockable character.

I finally beat the throne with Robot. Died almost instantly on the level after. Shit gets severely real once you loop.

IT KEEPS GOING AFTER THE THRONE?! Omg that's it. 

When is this game going to leave early access? I'm desperate to play again.

I assume it'll still be a little while based on how they've been talking in patch notes about redesigning whole systems. It's getting there but some things are still placeholders.

This game feels so much like Spelunky to me, a game that is never a main course but is always a desired side dish.

I guess what I'm saying is although the game has evolved quite a bit since I bought in, it has always been fully functional and well featured. It doesn't feel like it needs a "release" to be ready like some other early access games I've been wary of.

Question: How do you all play? Outside of unlocking the secret character and fiddling around, I almost exclusively play random, no crown. Just hit the button and start.

e: my best games all seem to be with crystal and plant, though.

I try to play around with different characters, but I have a pretty serious crush on Steroid :wub:   For every time I play a different character, I play him 2 or 3 times. 

After playing it regularly for a couple of weeks, I'm actually back to not playing it for awhile.  I continue to be frustrated that things like co-op and controller support are still only half finished.  I know, it's EA, they'll get finished.  But they are enough of an irritant that I think I'm better off waiting until it's feature complete. 

I still really like Rogue and Rebel, but I've taken to Robot and Fish for "actual runs" lately. I'm really bad at remembering to use Fish's roll, though.

The PS4 version was announced for September, so maybe sometime around then if everything stays on track?

(edit: yes, this is a late reply to Griddle)

I almost exclusively play random, no crown. Just hit the button and start.

Fox. No items. Final Destination. 

I liked to pick and choose. I found I did best with the zombie. It was reliant on getting HP up though. Once I did, I went pretty far. Been a while since I've played, so I assume loads has changed.

That sounds like Melting, for sure.

New update went live, and they're finally working on the new menu system. Yah! I'm still terrible at this game! Boo!

Yeah, Melting (it's been a while). The bonus XP and the explosion you can do to corpses is just great. You can easily take out those annoying areas where monsters gang up around a corner just by killing one, then proceeding to blow everything up out of line of sight. 

Steroids was a favourite too. The two guns just means you can tear through things without worrying about getting hit. 

Holy shit, this is now out on PSN!

That was a quiet fucking release! I believe it's available in the US too, and it's cross buy with vita.

They announced it at the Playstation Experience, as well as announcing that it was now "released" on PC. As in, it's no longer listed as early access on Steam.

What does that mean? Well... sweet FA really, since they say they're gonna keep updating it anyway. But it's a neat milestone for them!

It at least means they're happy with their balancing and stability to release a 1.0 version. That counts for something.

It also means I need to unlock all the characters for real now. :P