erlog

Nuclear Throne: Oh! I accidentally ate my gun.

Friended, I'll take it if no one else has already.  I'm super curious about the local co-op in it (and the game in general). 

Done and done. Also my sinister plot to get more Idle friends advances apace  :devil:

I really enjoy this game as a micro-session experience. "I have 47 seconds? Nuclear Throne." I've played dozens and dozens of games (mostly quite short), but it says my playtime is 2 hours.

I learned a neat trick from another forum I believe, for a level skip. I'll spoiler it in case anyone doesn't want to know.

On the first map, if you get both chests and the plutonium within 10-15 seconds without killing any enemies (maybe without taking damage also?) it will instantly spawn the 1-3 boss. Once you kill it you'll be ported straight to 3-1.

I really like that, because it's spelunky-esque.

Sweet, thanks!  I've got an hour to kill before KU plays this afternoon, I'll have to see if I can eat my gun (this thread title might be my favorite on the forums).

This game is hard, yo.  I've tried the first five characters, dying quickly with most of them.  Made it to the fourth level with the dual wielding guy!

I really enjoy this game as a micro-session experience. "I have 47 seconds? Nuclear Throne." I've played dozens and dozens of games (mostly quite short), but it says my playtime is 2 hours.

I learned a neat trick from another forum I believe, for a level skip. I'll spoiler it in case anyone doesn't want to know.

On the first map, if you get both chests and the plutonium within 10-15 seconds without killing any enemies (maybe without taking damage also?) it will instantly spawn the 1-3 boss. Once you kill it you'll be ported straight to 3-1.

I really like that, because it's spelunky-esque.

That trick seems like it would be detrimental, though, for the same reason level skips in Spelunky are detrimental - you lose out on the resources you would have collected in the levels you skip.

In terms of neat hidden stuff to find (spoiler/secret for level 3):

Somehow on a sewer level you can do something to get pulled into the Teenage Mutant Ninja World where everything is pink and pizza is all around and turtles try to kill you. You have to blow something up, or something, but I've never figured out how to do it on purpose. It just happens accidentally every once in a while when I'm using explosives.

That trick seems like it would be detrimental, though, for the same reason level skips in Spelunky are detrimental - you lose out on the resources you would have collected in the levels you skip.

Somehow on a sewer level you can do something to get pulled into the Teenage Mutant Ninja World where everything is pink and pizza is all around and turtles try to kill you. You have to blow something up, or something, but I've never figured out how to do it on purpose. It just happens accidentally every once in a while when I'm using explosives.

It's the sewer manholes. When you blow one up a secret portal appears.

The reason it's useful and not just a fun novelty is enemy difficulty increases based on levels completed, so if you are flat out skipping levels the curve is lower. Also if you are a bad enough dude to sit on the nuclear throne that extra 5 minutes might be valuable to you in a run.

Ah, I didn't know that.

I guess they patched it recently and added in little modifiers you can use on each run. Activating one of them makes a little robot with a crown follow you around, but more importantly it changes the game: one makes it so that the only chests you find are ammo chests, another makes it so that pickups are worth more but they disappear fast, etc. The variety they add is pretty neato.

Ah, I didn't know that.

I guess they patched it recently and added in little modifiers you can use on each run. Activating one of them makes a little robot with a crown follow you around, but more importantly it changes the game: one makes it so that the only chests you find are ammo chests, another makes it so that pickups are worth more but they disappear fast, etc. The variety they add is pretty neato.

The little crown dudes have been around for a while now actually, except previously you had to reach them through another secret method. I guess maybe they're trying out having them available from the beginning now.

Got some co-op in this evening.  It's definitely an early access game!  Maybe it was mentioned, but there's some real weirdness using a controller.  Once you turn on a controller, you can't access the settings, because you can't move the cursor there and the mouse becomes disabled.  So to add a second play, you have to close the game, disconnect the controller, start the game, make setting changes, exit the game, plug the controllers in, then you can play.  To go back to single player, same process. I should probably just play with kb/m, but I kind of hate that in games like this, controller just feels right. 

Co-op is fun, but it's definitely one of those games where it feels harder with two people instead of one. Friendly fire killed us as much as enemies (the Disc Gun can just fuck right off, killed us both with a single shot). 

It's been awhile since I've gotten that kind of sweaty palm nervous playing a game because I had just gotten as far as I've ever been in a game before.  Good feeling.

Can I be really cheeky and ask if anyone could gift me a copy of this? I like a bit of frantic twin-stick action, have done ever since I was a kid playing Super Smash TV. Boy, that was a difficult game...

Finally made it to stage 5 with crystal dude. Twice, in fact. I was using the crown that starts you off with a mutation but gives you no choices over the mutations you get. That seemed to help me, or maybe Crystal is just a cool character, or maybe I'm getting better. I dunno. Another new (?) thing is that now there are purple chests that give purple weapons. I think maybe they are just cursed, in that you can't drop them, but I'm not really sure.

I'm pretty pumped - just now I made it to level 6 for the first time, and level 7 for the first time in that same run. I was playing as Robot and fairly early (by the end of stage 3) I had a heavy crossbow, the mutation that makes your crossbow bolts homing bolts, and the sticky launcher. I knew the heavy crossbow was amazing, but I hadn't realized how helpful the homing mutation is with it - it made my shots curve and take out a couple enemies if they were close by each other, which was a real lifesaver. The heavy crossbow either way is tremendous - it kills basically everything in one shot. The homing bolts and the sticky launcher's delayed explosions let me be cautions when I needed to, and in an "oh shit" scenario I could just run away and fire crossbow bolts blindly because some of them would curve and hit someone.

I died on 7-2 but that was pretty satisfying.

Interesting, I made it to level 6 for the first time this weekend. For whatever reason the bird monsters were giving me less problems than usual. I came across the flame shotgun for the first time, which was an amazing weapon that I sadly did not get enough time with.

Flame shotgun is great. Double Flame Shotgun is great. Flame autoshotgun, also great. Some of the weapons as you go deeper into the game start to get wild. I have earned a couple of crowns, made it further these last two weeks than I ever have. It's fascinating to me how this slots into my gaming time. This is without a doubt my "I have 7 minutes before I need to do something" time waster game. It's so good.

I don't know how to get crowns consistently. I kind of want to know, but I also kind of want to just keep plugging at it.

Anyone else still playing this? I pop in from time to time to see how it's been updated and take another crack at reaching the throne. Still haven't finished it even once. Got pretty close on today's daily, though!

349FK5V.png

The UI and other polishy bits and bobs are really starting to shape up. I'd like to think they're approaching release some time soon but they're still tweaking some pretty major balance things from week to week so I guess we'll see.

Similar to how I treated Necrodancer, I played it for awhile and then decided to put it down until it hit version 1. 

I decided to wait until it was finished, or out on consoles. Really looking forward to that moment though.

So contrary to my post last week, I ended up playing this some over the last couple of days when I just wanted something quick and arcadey while waiting for dinner to finish cooking.  I got to 5-1 tonight, which is by far the deepest I've ever got (I'm not good at this game!).  I think I'm finally getting a handle on how to play it though.  I looked up some tips, and there are all sorts of things I didn't understand (like how skipping chests can be useful, or exactly what certain mutations do). 

like how skipping chests can be useful

Wat? Where did you read this?