Jake

Idle Thumbs 170: Esophagus Sarcophagus

Speaking of Chris Pratts' muscles, his routine was kind of crazy. 3 to 4 hours daily and at least 4000 calories consumed. Workout below! There is just like a casual 50 bench presses at my max.

Treadmill - 10 min at 5.0 speed.

Pullups

Sets: 3

Reps: 5

Pushup

Reps: 10

Squat

Reps: 15

THE WORKOUT

Lat pulldowns

Sets: 6

Reps: 140lbsx20, 150lbsx15, 185lbsx15, 15, 12, 12

Dumbell rows

Sets: 5

Reps: 80lbsx20, 90lbsx15, 100lbsx12, 12, 12

Barbell curls

Sets: 75lbsx15, 15, 15, 15, 15, 65lbsx10 (5 push ups after each set)

Dumbbell concentration curls

Reps: 25lbsx10, 10, 9

AB CIRCUIT

Situps

Crunches

Side Crunches

WORKOUT 2

Five rounds

800-meter run

15 cleans (95lbs)

10 bench press (205 lbs)

5 box jumps (30" box)

OVERALL PROGRESS

In 5 Months:

Maximum Pullups went from 7 to 30

Maximum Deadlift went from 225 to 315

Mile Run time went from 8:3 to 5:5

On home streaming and mobile devices: it's not Steam IHS or iOS but for anyone with an nVidia card and Android portable then there's the hack of the GameStream technology* called LimeLight: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.limelight

It seems pretty good with reporting of the decoder lag etc as well as options for 30/60fps and 720p or 1080p (and bandwidth cap). I rendered some of The International 4 on my gaming PC but watched it from another room via my Nexus 7 (being able to take control to look at data feeds / customise the UI to my preferred skin / inspect spell tooltips at will means this was much preferable to loading up the official streams and my locally rendered 1080p30 stream at >10mbps looked quite a lot better than normal internet video) but other than that have only used it for a small amount of gaming.

I think the Steam IHS is a bit better than nVidia's GameStream from what I've used of the two (slightly less lag, doesn't drop frames as often), but then I'm running the nVidia application anyway to get access to ShadowPlay ('GameDVR' functionality) and Steam's Android client has zero streaming options while this 3rd party app hooks in perfectly to the nVidia service and even works with a wide range of controllers (wired & bluetooth). I'm also usually seeing the GameStream at it's worst (my guess is the wifi in a tablet isn't great and Steam IHS I use on a wired connection to my 2nd PC or one the wifi to my laptop so that may account for the difference - LimeLight certainly thinks there's 40ms+ of extra lag from the video decode on my tablet end of the equation) so maybe it's not fair to say Steam's implementation is better.

I guess more choice is good so it's nice to have options. I believe AMD have their own Gaming Evolved streaming but have not seen any Android apps that can hook into it.

* http://shield.nvidia.com/play-pc-games/ (No nVidia branded Android device required)

Also btw, Xibalba is the underworld of a branch of Mayan mythology, which I know only because it featured heavily in Aronofsky's The Fountain. The between-level text in the game obliquely referenced it, but it seemed entirely divorced from the gameplay, and so vague as to be easily ignored.

Also, the "Star Trek name" discussion was just a little off: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sebulba

Could someone please tell me what that picture of the pyramid is from on the episode banner?

That, I'd imagine, would be a screen from Xibalba

h26FDCA37.jpg

You just read that in the voice of Watto and surprised yourself at what a great impression you made. Congratulations you are a terrible human being

Finding out what the Toxic Crusader really was later in life was super shocking to me.

Read this after finishing the podcast and briefly wondered why it wasn't spelled Toxikk Crusader.  Now I need to erase my brain.

He looked like a normal guy in 2000.

So, in the 80s we had the following ripped action heroes:

Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sylvester Stalone, Jean Claude van Damme, Dolph Lundgren, Carl Weathers, Jackie Chan (although more lean than a muscle head)

Not really ripped:

Bruce Willis, Peter Weller (well, robocop has metal abs ;), Kurt Russell, Harrison Ford, Michael Dudikoff, Eddie Murphy, Steven Seagal, Rutger Hauer, Chuck Norris

Not included because of age: Charles Bronson, Clint Eastwood

Good podding.

I also share Jake's love of Steam streaming. It's what makes my current awesome PC setup possible. I live in a cramped 1 bedroom apartment with my wife. The desk area we have in our bedroom really doesn't have room for a desktop so I actually have the desktop in the living room connected to the TV. This actually isn't that crazy a setup because we have a coffee table that folds out to an elevated position that makes it possible to setup a mouse and keyboard, and I can use that from the couch pretty comfortably. But it also gives me the option to stream to my old laptop in the bedroom seamlessly, and I love how great it works. I played most of Wolfenstein that way, and it worked fine.

The discussion of Crypt of the Necrodancer I think dissuaded me from picking it up. I like Spelunky for a lot of the same reasons Chris does, and it is the only rougelike-like game that I can think of that has the same density of interactions as a game like NetHack, and I think most of these types of games just ultimately aren't going to hold my interest without that.

It did make me think of that game 140 though. I don't know if any of the Thumbs have played it, but I suspect both Jake and Chris would enjoy it. I believe it was a sort of side project from one of the developers of Limbo. Anyway, it's a platformer game with a minimalist style of simple geometry, but what makes the presentation amazing is that the music changes depending on your location in the level. So the rhythm of the music basically acts as an aid to assist the player with all the tricky platforming bits. It's short, cool, and worth checking out.

Oh yes, yes, also, I REALLY want that Idle Thumbs DOTA announcing to happen. Those teams should play against each other, even if it's not part of the Rektreational.

Whether it was because I was expecting it, I just happened to pay attention during the transition, or you actually changed how you read it, I found the WoT commercial this week to be a lot less uncomfortable.

Also, i really liked Aliens 3.

God, I remember the TLD Lords going berserk and adding a bunch of new TLDs, but some of these are fucking hilarious!

video games.exposed

IdleVice.kaufen

JeffGoldblum.shoes

CitizenKaneOfGames.foundation

edit: I should not be trusted with a credit card.

http://UltraBoost.recipes/

I've been meaning to get a new TLD for my portfolio without my cumbersome Italian last name. I was thinking Jeff.plumbing. People would remember that.

Aliens 3.

Are you trying to get a mention on the Pedantry thread?

OR:

Yeah, it's got Ron Perlman in it, how can you not?

Do the Thumbs have a .moe TLD yet? Because Sean's waifu could use one.

I recommend to Chris that he watch the first and third Harry Potter movies solely for the tonal dissonance. The first two films were directed by Chris Columbus of Home Alone and Mrs. Doubtfire fame, while the third was directed by Children of Men's Alfonso Cuarón. It contrasts just as sharply as you'd think.

Are you trying to get a mention on the Pedantry thread?

Nobody's spelled it Alien³ yet.

I know! The layabouts on here don't even bother to spell DooM3 properly.