kaputt

Introverts, social anxiety and multiplayer games

I agree and have experienced this to a certain extent. CoD4 was my first real online multiplayer experience and I quickly muted other people. I had party chat enabled with a group of 3 or 4 friends (and even that took a little bit of getting used to) but the name calling was affecting me negatively. Each game seemed to have a tween with Tourettes. More often than not he was talking to himself because everyone else had muted him out.

I too have used the 'headset lost' excuse to avoid talking with forum friends. For me, I wanted to keep them in that box, and actually speaking with them would have broken the spell. On a forum you have time to compose thoughts but in conversation they'd have quickly realised I was an incoherent idiot. I think this type of anxiety is common, though. My sister used to refuse to speak on the phone and I think it was for the same reason. If you're not good with smalltalk it's frightening to be forced to communicate with only your voice - each second of silence further confirms your idiocy.

I did a recent video on this very topic, exploring the reasons why I tend to play multiplayer games solo. I can relate to a lot of the experiences in this thread. Even when I played with a guild in Warcraft I stayed off voice chat and tended toward awkward penguin behaviour.

A large part of me playing solo is related to selfishness, as I want to play games on my terms but another significant part relates to social anxiety and introversion.

I'm not a shy person usually, but I've had weird issues with online games for YEARS. I just started playing Dota 2 and I'm enjoying it, but I don't really communicate and sometimes I boot up the client, look at the "play" button and just fail to build up the courage to do it.