Chris

Idle Thumbs 169: On Blade

Awesome, my email actually got read. I wasn't sure whether it was worthy.

Tegan - apart from the GBA stuff, I worked on most of those projects.

Awesome, my email actually got read. I wasn't sure whether it was worthy.

Tegan - apart from the GBA stuff, I worked on most of those projects.

It was a great e-mail!

How do you do quality control for a Spongebob video?

The original waifu meme was just people quoting an Engrish line from the 2002 anime Azumanga Daioh that somehow outlived the rest of the series' memetic status. In the original context, the joke was that nobody believed that Kimura (the lecherous, creepy-ass teacher) could possibly have such an attractive wife, and for a while it's left deliberately ambiguous as to whether or not she's really his wife or just some random woman he has a picture of.

As an Azumanga Daioh fan, I had absolutely no idea that's where it started. I figured it was a reference from the 80s or something that they just re-used.

While I'm not invested enough in Game of Thrones to care about it, and even if I were it'd be my own fault for being so far behind, I did think that spoiler was pretty pointless. But whatever, I might never even finish the second book.

I'm meh on the whole thing, but I just wanted to point out that if no one had mentioned that it was a Game of Thrones spoiler, I probably wouldn't have even noticed :)

I'm meh on the whole thing, but I just wanted to point out that if no one had mentioned that it was a Game of Thrones spoiler, I probably wouldn't have even noticed :)

same, I only recognized it as one because I already knew it from reading the books. Also, that book came out in 2005, I feel like thats fair game for talking about if people want to.

I had been meaning to try world of tanks for a while now and was curious about what the heck the exclusive stuff was but when I registered the code didn't work :(

Anyone know what it was supposed to be anyway?

Oooo, just hit Danielle mentioning Pontypool!  Can we talk about Pontypool? I'd like that, I gush about that movie to the few people who will listen.  Hardly anyone I know has seen it, and I've tried to just suggest it without pushing it too hard.  Seriously, it's arguably my favorite zombie flick ever, outside of the original Night of the Living Dead.  The intersection of language, disease, zombies and news radio is all sooooo good.

I had been meaning to try world of tanks for a while now and was curious about what the heck the exclusive stuff was but when I registered the code didn't work :(

We found out after the ep came out that has to be ALL CAPS. Ridiculous.

sometimes i go on the internet and i find things:

Voting this for new Dota Today intro song.

sometimes i go on the internet and i find things:

Haha I completely unironically love that. It is great.

Weird aside: Billy Joe's inflection during that verse was weird and for a long time I thought the lyric was "HE said my life's a bore". Because "she" was clearly enunciated the first time and wasn't the second, I thought it was a weird aside about soliciting men for sex in a song that is otherwise completely tonally absent of that. I also thought it was weird no one said anything about it.

Can't believe I registered an account for this, but here goes: Those are the actual lyrics (confirmed by Green Day: Rock Band). Billy Joe is bisexual, so I think the line implies that he either went to multiple whores, or was with a trans whore (although denoted offensively).

For more fun facts, just listen to my Green Day podcast, "Dookie in My Ears", every Sunday at 3:00am EST!

Can't believe I registered an account for this, but here goes: Those are the actual lyrics (confirmed by Green Day: Rock Band). Billy Joe is bisexual, so I think the line implies that he either went to multiple whores, or was with a trans whore (although denoted offensively).

For more fun facts, just listen to my Green Day podcast, "Dookie in My Ears", every Sunday at 3:00am EST!

Welcome to the forums!  Random knowledge always welcome.

I have been interested to try it for a while, too. I THUMBS'd it, I'll let you know when it's up and running.

e: It appears that the promo code is good for 3 days of Premium account access. That's a pretty good gift!

Wow, that's awesome. I feel both vindicated and enlightened for knowing this. Thanks for sharing!

We found out after the ep came out that has to be ALL CAPS. Ridiculous.

I have been interested to try it for a while, too. I THUMBS'd it, I'll let you know when it's up and running.

e: It appears that the promo code is good for 3 days of Premium account access. That's a pretty good gift!

Wow, that's awesome. I feel both vindicated and enlightened for knowing this. Thanks for sharing!

Ah, that explains it.  Good to know it's not something I'd permanently miss out on like idk a tank with a thumbs decal which of course I now want.  Just can't win sometimes.

It's kind of weird to me for the podcast to be sponsored by games none of the hosts (to my knowledge) have played, and then hear them read out an obviously written-for-them junket about it. It really clashes with the honest, critical nature of the podcast.

It's kind of weird to me for the podcast to be sponsored by games none of the hosts (to my knowledge) have played, and then hear them read out an obviously written-for-them junket about it. It really clashes with the honest, critical nature of the podcast.

I found it a little weird as well, although I expected it because of another Midroll-handled gaming podcast I listen to. The game being free-to-try alleviates some of my negative reaction, but a cast member having played and enjoyed the game talking candidly about their experience would've been much more palatable than just reading the copy. That being said, I want Idle Thumbs to exist and be successful, they put out editorial gaming content and editorial gaming content has always come alongside gaming ads. Also, I imagine they feel as weird about it if/when asked to do something that disrupts what the cast is about as we do listening to it.

I don't know how much they make from ads, but I wonder if a monthly Patreon-account could compete.

I found it a little weird as well, although I expected it because of another Midroll-handled gaming podcast I listen to. The game being free-to-try alleviates some of my negative reaction, but a cast member having played and enjoyed the game talking candidly about their experience would've been much more palatable than just reading the copy. That being said, I want Idle Thumbs to exist and be successful, they put out editorial gaming content and editorial gaming content has always come alongside gaming ads. Also, I imagine they feel as weird about it if/when asked to do something that disrupts what the cast is about as we do listening to it.

I dunno, I feel like they indicated that the game was just a sponsor and didn't seem to offer any opinions or present it as a genuine recommendation according to their own tastes. It could've easily been replaced with an ad for mountain dew or...I dunno, laundry detergent. Though I guess people coming in expecting game recommendations and interpreting the ad roll as that might interpret it otherwise.

[sarcasm] I listen to the podcast for snack-recommendations and I just don't know who to trust any more.[/sarcasm]

No, I totally agree that it is bad form. I want to be clear that I adore the Thumbs and greatly appreciate what they do. I don't know what their situation is so I can't judge whether or not they are making a good decision by doing ads. But I'm not naive enough to pretend that doing an ad for a game won't influence the way they talk about it, or the way I hear them talk about it. Two months from now one of them might have something they want to say about World of Tanks, but they might not because it would be too weird.

Oooo, just hit Danielle mentioning Pontypool!  Can we talk about Pontypool? I'd like that, I gush about that movie to the few people who will listen.  Hardly anyone I know has seen it, and I've tried to just suggest it without pushing it too hard.  Seriously, it's arguably my favorite zombie flick ever, outside of the original Night of the Living Dead.  The intersection of language, disease, zombies and news radio is all sooooo good.

Watched this again last night. Still great. Grant Mazzy's facial expressions are priceless. Died laughing at "NIGEL HEALING SAYS 'APPARENTLY'?!?!?!"

With regard to WoT sponsoring Idle Thumbs, I thought it was great. As I mentioned, it's something I've thought about trying for a long time. The fact that it was on Idle Thumbs plus the fact that you can Get A Thing for signing up (plus using it means advertising feedback) pushed me over the edge and I've been playing it.

The fact that it was on Idle Thumbs plus the fact that you can Get A Thing for signing up (plus using it means advertising feedback) pushed me over the edge

I think this is exactly what's being highlighted though, the Thumbs didn't actually recommend it or think this particular game was worth noting, and yet it can have that same effect for people anyway. Opinions will differ on whether or not that's a bad thing of course.

I understand that's what's being discussed. What I'm saying is that they advertised something I ALREADY knew about, and that confluence pushed me over the edge to try something I already wanted to try but just didn't.