Chris

Idle Thumbs 169: On Blade

Does Velvet Sundown have the ridiculous text to speech modifiers that Moonbase Alpha has?

I can't wait til episode 269, where Sean listens back to the bit from episode 169 where they listento that bit from episode 69.

I lost my shit at Jake's speech synth voice malfunction. Also Dubbed Anime Jake Rodkin.

I generally have a similar reaction to Tom Chick's reviews as Sean does. I have to admit I couldn't really fault his review of Transistor, though (Although I haven't yet played the game); it's slightly hyperbolic, but he backs up his points. I still take issue with his two-star review of Journey, however. It feels half-assed, like he set out to dislike the game and as such is overly dismissive of it, and barely even touches on the co-op aspect, which is arguably the crux of the experience. I mean, sure, it's possible that he just played through the game once and never really had much contact with other players; would that be the game's fault for not providing a consistent experience, then, or his for not thoroughly exploring a major gameplay feature? His opinion is his, of course, and it's totally valid, but in the case of Journey I can't help but feel like he was playing it wrong because he didn't get the same things out of it that I did, and there's nothing in his review to convince me otherwise. It is a gut reaction.

I don't really read reviews all that often (I prefer to get recommendations, watch gameplay and check wikipedia for a summary of what people praised and criticised about the game) but when I do read reviews I tend to check the score to see if it matches with my existing opinion or anticipation for the game. So if I saw someone scoring a game I'm excited for lowly, then I'd be intrigued to read why that person's opinion differed. If I was nonplussed with my experiences in Jazzpunk and then saw a review that gave it a score that vaguely equated to my overall opinion, I probably wouldn't be as interested in their reasons because I have the presumption that their reasons will match mine, and more importantly that they share a similar viewpoint to me and wont be offering a new way to evaluate the game.

I'm interested in why Velvet Sundown feels like an unfinished game. Is it because the scope that we are used to for 3d character-models is typically much larger? Would The Yawg feel incomplete if it was done with 3d assets?

The Yawhg is seamless. Velvet Sundown is seamfull. It's not a 2D/3D situation. The Yawhg is deliberately designed so that it doesn't have opportunities to show what they left out. Once you decide to take on an entire "vocabulary" like "3D character interaction," but don't choose to use that entire vocabulary, you have to be very careful with how you hem that all up, or it will look and feel unfinished.

We're gonna get an entire episode one day of Chris and Jake each doing their robot voices and Danielle just letting her accent fly.

With Sean and/or Nick babbling incoherently as they are driven further insane.

My waifu-like misuse of a word as a child story:

For my 9th birthday, I got a copy of Green Day's Dookie from an aunt who saw the cartoon artwork on the front and really didn't know better. I played that cassette to death, and quickly memorized all of the lyrics. In the song Basket Case, there's a verse: "I went to a shrink/To analyze my dreams/She says it's lack of sex that's bringing me down/I went to a whore/She said my life's a bore/So quit my whining cause it's bringing her down." Being the logically minded child I was, I assumed based on this that whore was a synonym for psychologist.

I don't remember the details of the conversation with my friends later on where I used the word whore when I was talking about a psychologist, but they never let me live that one down.

Weird aside: Billy Joe's inflection during that verse was weird and for a long time I thought the lyric was "HE said my life's a bore". Because "she" was clearly enunciated the first time and wasn't the second, I thought it was a weird aside about soliciting men for sex in a song that is otherwise completely tonally absent of that. I also thought it was weird no one said anything about it.

If someone didn't mention Blade the Vampire Hunter I would've gone nuts

Some motherfuckers are always tryin' to separate language from its original denotations... uphill.