Sign in to follow this  
Cordeos

Unreal Tournament (The new one)

Today some actual gameplay footage of the developers playing deathmatch was posted.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/07/30/unreal-tournament-team-deathmatch/

I am so freaking excited, in previous videos they have acnowledged the errors of Unreal Tournament 3. There has been a lot of discussion of how to improve level and character design to create a better look. They apparently are playing with solutions to the glowing character models they had in UT3. The only thing I worry about is that the UI and weapon models I have seen so far are right out of 3, but I assume this is because the functional version is still rather barebones. I just hope they diverge more from that design.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/24/5932869/unreal-tournament-screenshots-video

If they mention bringing assualt back, I don't know how if will be able to wait. Perhaps cyrogenics.....

I remember seeing their first super beta footage aaaages ago of them playing a super basic instagib game and i was excited. This excites me more. Although no ripper gun seen. WHY NOT HAVE THE BEST GUN EPIC? YOU NUTCASE.

I'm also curious as to their business strategy to this game, as it's free to play. My guess is that they're hoping that a huge dedicated modding scene will come like the first ones, and they'll have to pay for the engine with the monthly fee? Or are they going to run a mod store or something and take a cut from that?

They will take a cut of mod, map, skin, etc sales from an official mood store.

I have seen concept art for the ripper on the forums and I don't think they have finalized the weapons list, so there is still hope!

http://www.unrealtournament.com/blog/unreal-tournament-forum-qa-and-castle-map-preview/

New post from the Devs. They show off a new Deathmatch map, which lacks textures but looks very well designed and large, which I love. Discussion of character design direction and various in depth design decisions and questions. A prize for watching all the way to the end is a quick preview of the new version of CTF-Face!

This looks really good so far. I hope someone will make assault maps again.

Also I'd love to play a multiplayer FPS again in which most weapons aren't hitscan.

They have talked about assault. Since this is in a large part a community driven development game, if people in the community want to make assault the devs will try and help out. Currently the core game will have DM, Team DM and CTF.

Major changes to CTF are coming!

They are introducing a half-time mechanic. The game will split the game time you set in half. At that halftime mark all players, weapons, power ups reset. The teams will also switch sides so maps that are not symmetrical will be more balanced. I was wary at first, but they discuss how it adds a time crunch mechanic, which sounds good to me :)

They will also experiment with a reset every time someone scores. This could be terrible, but I understand how it could break up momentum in a way to make competitive play better.

Also there is no longer a flag cap limit, so they are introducing overtime and sudden death overtime. Which sounds like great high stress fun at the end of a match. 

All of this is experimental so they might change it. 

They are also trying to rework the translocator again. I honestly never really cared about the translocator anyway.

They also discuss dodge, spawn protection, rocket and impact hammer jumping, general game speed, clientside hit detection and bots, 

Also, I was so happy to hear UT2014 get mentioned in the Idle Thumbs podcast this week!

A forum user has started putting out the latest snapshot of playable UT2014. So if you want to play an unfinished FPS on maps that are mostly untextured using weapons from the last game, follow this link:

https://ut.rushbase.net/raxxy/Builds

Story about it here:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/08/13/unreal-tournament-2014-playable-free-to-all/

I will play this so hard.

I played this, the master server orbs didn't work but the irc channel #beyondunreal on irc.globalgamers.net was super helpful and one guy posted an IP to join. 

The movement is pretty good, guns shoot stuff, except flak secondary was a bit weird.

Texture and animation wise it's pretty silly but it's a totally playable FFA Deathmatch if you can find a server to join. The ut.rushbase.net link from above also has the redistributables you need to run the game. I don't know what the command it to set up a listen or dedicated server though :(

Anyone want to play this?

In this weeks video they discuss: A newly designed map. It looks like a spaceship, really good looking, very bright and clean. They also discussed a lot of general next step stuff. A short video this week.

The discuss how to play the pre-Alpha version of the game, and what kind of feedback they want from it.

More details about what they want for competitive play.

Possibilities for in game music and sound.

Weapons! This is a great example of how the community is contributing to the game, the Devs work with people in the community to design, model, animate for the game. The enforcer and Flak Cannon are moving along nicely.

Gametypes are also being developed by the community. Domination and rocket arena are being developed. Jailbreak, assault and the chaos mod are possible.

They are starting to work on bots.

http://www.unrealtournament.com/blog/unreal-tournament-community-gametypes-and-concept-art/

I have a really hard time looking at game play of this because the movement seems so slow to me. Not just slow, there's more to it, but I don't know how to describe it. It's the same with other new UT inspired games. I must have played more Quake 3 than I remember.

I have a really hard time looking at game play of this because the movement seems so slow to me. Not just slow, there's more to it, but I don't know how to describe it. It's the same with other new UT inspired games. I must have played more Quake 3 than I remember.

I think I know what you mean, having played a bunch of Quake Live recently. The pace of the game seems a bit slower (projectiles, running speed) than Quake for sure. It looks closer to Halo, really. The rockets seem very similar to Halo, and the movespeed too. Though of course, it's more likely that Halo is similar to UT than the other way around...

That "frog jumping" kind of movement looks like it would take some getting used to coming from other games. Never seen anyone do single strafe jumps like that, is that a common UT thing? It seems the movespeed penalty on landing is pretty severe so they can't be chained together? Some of those maps look like they would be a blast to play on with QL movement.

I think I know what you mean, having played a bunch of Quake Live recently. The pace of the game seems a bit slower (projectiles, running speed) than Quake for sure. It looks closer to Halo, really. The rockets seem very similar to Halo, and the movespeed too. Though of course, it's more likely that Halo is similar to UT than the other way around...

That "frog jumping" kind of movement looks like it would take some getting used to coming from other games. Never seen anyone do single strafe jumps like that, is that a common UT thing? It seems the movespeed penalty on landing is pretty severe so they can't be chained together? Some of those maps look like they would be a blast to play on with QL movement.

I know they have been playing around with the movement a lot, not sure how much is related to the pre-alpha stage the game is in and how much is intentional. They do plan on having low-grav and gamespeed modifiers so you can always tweek it to your hearts content. I havent really played any competative online shooter since battlefield 2, and very little UT since UT2004, so I don't have a fresh sense of how the game should look and feel.

I'm pretty sure mutators will be an important feature of this new UT. It wouldn't be an UT without being able to add instagib to every gamemode.

I played a bit of the latest build last night. I hit "Quick match" or whatever it is and got put into an instagib game with one other guy and a few bots. I ended up finishing the game at 95 kills to 30 or so, but he disconnected with about a minute left. Video games.

Is anyone else having better luck finding matches? Maybe I just caught it at a bad time.

I got to admit I'm a bit disappointed that they left the weapons mostly untouched. I wouldn't mind seeing some old ones replaced (Biorifle anyone?). They are redoing the basic movement system slightly, so that's a start.

Also I hope someone puts domination back into the game soon.

I got to admit I'm a bit disappointed that they left the weapons mostly untouched. I wouldn't mind seeing some old ones replaced (Biorifle anyone?). They are redoing the basic movement system slightly, so that's a start.

Do you mean untouched as in skins/models or untouched as in the weapons roster. They haven't finished creating the new models for weapons, so most are placeholders. As for changing what weapons are in game, thats what mods are for :)

I think they aren't messing with the weapon roster partially because Unreal Tournament is a very nostalgia heavy series. They have kept the core game pretty much the same since UT99, just updated the graphics and gametypes. I do miss the ripper though.

Anyone who wants to play the pre-alpha:

Create a forums account on:

https://forums.unrealtournament.com/

Go to this thread to download the installer:

https://forums.unrealtournament.com/showthread.php?12011-Unreal-Tournament-Pre-Alpha-Playable-Build

think they aren't messing with the weapon roster partially because Unreal Tournament is a very nostalgia heavy series. They have kept the core game pretty much the same since UT99, just updated the graphics and gametypes. I do miss the ripper though.

They did change the movement all the time though and also added and removed gametypes and stuff like vehicles over the iterations. They also switched up some weapons.

The game is still very very early so I'm sure they will change and add a lot of things over time. I just hope the basic weapon selection isn't final yet.

I would consider most of the changes to weapons and movement to be tweeks more than major changes. Gamemodes is where the real changed between the UT games are, unless we include Unreal Championship 2, which had the odd, but not terrible melee focus. I do hope they bring in some of the weapons from other games, I like having big weapon lists, beyond a static 10. Would be great if the included every gun from each game :)

The rocket launcher alt fire is different, the link gun is a tractor beam now, the minigun performs differently, there's no ripper, the enforcer alt fire changed, the bio rifle has a new additional fire mode! Basically the only weapons they haven't messed with are the shock rifle and the flak cannon. That's objectively correct to do, because why mess with perfection?