Beware! I just managed to kill the graphics options screen I had been working on for an hour by making the fatal mistake of trying to add a FOV slider, apparently sliders crash the editor and make UMG files unopenable. Serves me right for not doing backups while using an experimental feature in a preview build of the editor.

:blink: Well dang. Guess I should make more regular backups now that I'm also using 4.4 preview. Did you lose anything else in the crash, or just the widget you were working on?

:blink: Well dang. Guess I should make more regular backups now that I'm also using 4.4 preview. Did you lose anything else in the crash, or just the widget you were working on?

Just the widget. I guess I was so used to using the relatively stable behavior tree system while it was an experimental feature that I was lulled into a false sense of security.

Yay 4.4! The behavior tree is not experimental anymore which is good.

Here's some models GUNS I made in UE4.

weaponsInUe4.jpg

Very nice. Are you deforming the water plane to make actual waves, or is it just a texture? I'm trying to figure out how to do the former.

There's actual waves, I'll have a video up soon. I used a couple normal maps panning over each other hooked up to the tessellation on the material. Turn tessellation on your material to PNtriangles, apply it to a mesh with a reasonable number of verts (mine is a fairly high-poly plane), and plug something like this in:

14956293746_4094d84a44_o.png

It depends how many verts you have after tessellation (so basically your mesh's vert count * how much you're tessellating). If you have adaptive tessellation on (which is default) your tessellation multiplier works like a distance LOD function, so you can only tessellate the parts of the mesh within a certain distance from the camera, which helps a lot. 

You could do this same stuff on UE3, but the perf hit was much greater.

I noticed the other day, congrats. Any plans on selling your room generator? I'm sure there's a market for it.

Possibly, a couple of people have asked for it. I'm not sure it's a tidy enough implementation yet, I'm still learning as I go. I was thinking about opening up development on it and just linking builds on twitter all the time.

I started experimenting with C++ with no previous experience of the language. It took me about seven hours of frustration and humiliation to make a passable first person character, something I can do with blueprints in less than an hour. It's incredibly verbose compared to C# in Unity, but oddly satisfying.

Well, I am signing up for a month of this to see how it compares to other things I've tried (and to see how fancy the lighting options are). Hopefully I will have questions and/or stunning results in the near future!

Hmm, seems if you have a laptop with one of them junky built-in graphics cards, the editor may not even be runnable on your computer (regardless of how capable the laptop is otherwise).

Luckily I have a (rarely used) desktop too so I can still try this out, albeit from a much less comfortable chair.

It should run, but expect a single-digit frame rate. You probably wouldn't have a great experience even with a recent proper mobile GPU, it's just that demanding.

Playing in the editor does cause a significant performance hit, but there's just no getting around the fact that it's a new engine made to last many years.

I started messing with UE this week and was having a looooot of performance issues when building lighting. Everything else seemed to run ok to me, but those builds were crushing my RAM to the point that windows services and other programs were crashing out.

edit: I was lying awake last night thinking about my 7dfps project so I tweeted a haiku, cause what else do you do when you can't sleep super late at night?

3 o'clock am
In bed, thinking to myself
'UE4 is sweet'