Sign in to follow this  
heybeardo

Jotun (Kickstarter)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/682108903/jotun

I'm of two minds when it comes to this Kickstarter. I really like the look of the game (amazing art, animations, and setting) but I've grown increasingly dubious of backing games on Kickstarter, especially when one of the reasons they need the money is to hire another lead programmer.

All they've shown so far is (admittedly beautiful) animation, but does that necessarily translate to a whole game? What do you guys think? Is it worth backing something that looks amazing and has an interesting premise but won't necessarily translate to a playable game?

I feel like you need to figure out if you'd be annoyed or accepting if you pledged your money and the game never came out.

If you can accept it, pledge away and support them. If you can't, don't gamble on maybe getting a game, just follow their progress and hope the game comes out anyway.

Although... overly critical opinion ahoy

This is reminiscent of the Banner Saga's animation style... which I really didn't like. They went so detailed and high fidelity for the images that it reduced how much they could actually animate it. They used a low framerate that made it all choppy to me instead of smooth and I just never like that choice.

I personally wouldn't. As you mentioned, they have only one developer attached who also has to double as game designer and business guy. It seems like his experience has been limited to simple projects based on his portfolio, which makes sense since he's been out of school for 3 years.

I'm always very skeptical of projects that are light on experience and developers.