N1njaSquirrel

Binding of Isaac: Rebirth

I'm going to mark this as a super spoiler. I would never want this to be spoiled for me. I'm not even going to tell you the consequences of the actions that are depicted in this screen shot.

post-9858-0-94691600-1415942549_thumb.jpg

Just got magnetic tears for the first time.

Fuck magnetic tears.

Congrats magnetic tears. Good job murdering me.

Ha, if you could hear me laughing now. I know that feeling, I know it well. There are a couple of items that I swear exist solely to troll the player.

I'm going to mark this as a super spoiler. I would never want this to be spoiled for me. I'm not even going to tell you the consequences of the actions that are depicted in this screen shot.

I did that tonight as well!  Unfortunately I died a floor later, so I didn't get to see the full consequences of it.

In another run, I did find the most ridiculous combination of stuff I've yet seen.  Isaac's Tears + Mom's Knife + Chocolate Milk.  Isaac's Tears normally are an activated item that fries a burst of tears, and then recharges from you shooting.  But with that combination, the Tears appear to endlessly charge as long as you are charging the knife, resulting in a starburst of tears larger than the screen that would kill any room in a single shot, including bosses.  And I got that combo by the third floor.  Easiest run I've ever had. 

I also tried a few more speedruns tonight.  Making it to Mom in sub-20 minutes with some characters is HARD.

Ugh this is bullshit. I have lost my save for the second time. Has anyone else experienced this? 28 hours of game I'm going to have to get back. :((((((

Blue Baby was good today.

I assembled the key, unlocked the door and slayed the Beast inside. It was very fun.

I'm sorry Ninja  ;(

Ninja, that blows.  Thank you for reminding me to back up my own save though. 

I got the 16th and final ending last night (unless there are super secret others).  It was a crazy run to pull it off, it started off as a co-op run using Eve, but around the Womb my wife dropped out as with two of us it was too big of a drain on health.  The only saving grace was that very, very early on I'd picked up a 1UP and I got the Wafer.  Managed to make it to the chest before dying and using the 1UP, and that let me push on through the end.  Ended up finishing with just a half a heart left. 

Thanks for the condolences!

For what it's worth, if you press alt + F2 in the stats menu screen, it reads all of your achievements earnt and then retro-actively unlocks everything related to those achievements. Which isn't so bad, but it's annoying that my donations have now gone back down to 0, when it was 200+, as well as all my Eden tokens are gone as well as my completed level stats per character too. ugh super lame :(

So I've been screwing around with the super secret character this weekend.  Took about an hour and a half to unlock it, got it on the first go (though I got really lucky on the third run).  You can use seeds for the first three runs, but the fourth run has to be a normal, un-seeded run.  Using seeds makes it a ton easier, particularly since the first run has to die to a specific enemy that doesn't always spawn in the first level.

It's fucking ridiculous how hard this is.  I probably died and/or restarted 100 times in the span of a couple of hours.  Probably 90 percent of the items you can get, you might as well restart since they aren't going to help.  I kind of hate just farming the first level for a good item, it's not how I want to play BoI, but I don't see many other options when a single hit kills you.  I did have a few good runs, the two best were with Daddy Longlegs, but I still only made it to Caves I. 

I also finally got the Family Man challenge done, which was by far the hardest challenge for me.  The successful run ended up being hilarious, I got both Samson's Ball and Chain and Guppy's Hairball, and was just a whipping them both around every room slaughtering everything.  Between them and my 3 extra large Pretty Flies, I was mostly immune to enemy tears and just had to watch for contact damage.  Only one challenge left, and it should be one of the easier ones (Darkness Falls), I've just had two frustrating deaths in Sheol mere minutes from finishing it. 

I got through Family Man with Guppy and Ghost Baby. At Depths 1 I had probably the minimum speed a character can have (because of that stupid Yellow hypo needle) and was on the last of my nine lives, figuratively and literally. A few lucky things happened and I pivitod into something relatively powerful for a character with no tears.

My mouth isn't gagged, why can't I use Brimstone? And why doesn't flying help at all for the Cursed! challenge? What pain! Just a couple of challenges left to go, Wakka Wakka and Beans!

I got this free with PS+ and I'm totally hooked. It's super fun, but as with most rogue-likes, I fucking suck at it. I've got to the final boss door once (well, what I assume is the final boss), was about to walk through, decided to go check if there were any hearts lying around in other rooms and managed to lose all my health to stupid things like spikes. 

I'm not sure I understand all the systems yet, and I'm having issues with any attack that requires charging up (it's impossible to aim with using a controller!). Like cursed, I seem to get it a lot, but I'm never sure how... Still, game's got me! 

Out of curiosity, what level were you on when you died to the spikes?

Each type of charged shot is unique, and some of them are much easier to use than others. Brimstone is easy mode, while the Cursed Eye is terrible. If you're finding the Cursed Eye, you should just skip it.

I finally got the Tammy's Head + Brimstone + Homing Tears combination last night.  The only time I took damage in the last four levels was when I walked into some red poop.  Now I know what it feels like to be god in this game. 

Since starting to go for Mom in under 20 minutes, I've pretty much just started speedrunning every time now, whether I need to or not.  It's a lot more fun, and stressful in the good way, when I'm skipping rooms and missing out on some items to push ahead to Mom as fast as possible. 

My input as a total newbie. I've gotten to/beaten Mom a couple times now. I've probably done a couple dozen runs? The game is fun but I feel like I'm a little too at the whim of the rng and what items I'm given. I mean, it's cool to see how different items work together and work with what you've got, but it seemed like some runs were just never going to happen. Regarding charge shots, I only got that once with an item called Chocolate or something. I found it very annoying.

I haven't played this new version much yet but in the old one it definitely can feel like you're at the whim of RNG for a while. I eventually got to the point where I could reliably make it to Satan about half the runs (and I'd beat Mom well over half the runs). This was before the first free mini-expansion (that I think added Krampus). Not that you'd know what that is as a total newbie.

What I'm saying is even though it might feel like that, it is possible to become more skilled to the point where it feels LESS like that, even if it doesn't go away completely.

I agree with Twig, the RNG is always a factor, but skill will take you a long, long ways. And once you're past a certain threshold of knowledge and skill, you need an exceptionally bad collection of items to not at least have a chance of going the distance. Health management might be the biggest one, not just mastering dodging, but learning how to best get more health in the later levels.

One thing that may not be initially obvious is to leave Soul/Black hearts on the ground unless you need them to progress, even fighting the level boss, and then backtracking to get them. The boss will always drop 1-2 red hearts, so you can maximize your health going into each new level if you're letting your red hearts take damage, healing, and then going back to get all the soul/black hearts afterwards. Once a level is finished, you can also go back and use any Sacrifice Rooms or Curse Rooms if you have extra red hearts lying around, before picking up soul/black. Guppy's Paw can save even a terrible run if you have a bunch of red heart containers, but giving you a giant battery of health for your final boss.

Out of curiosity, what level were you on when you died to the spikes?

Each type of charged shot is unique, and some of them are much easier to use than others. Brimstone is easy mode, while the Cursed Eye is terrible. If you're finding the Cursed Eye, you should just skip it.

I finally got the Tammy's Head + Brimstone + Homing Tears combination last night.  The only time I took damage in the last four levels was when I walked into some red poop.  Now I know what it feels like to be god in this game.  

I got cursed tears in one run, and I think the other was like infected lungs or something. Both ruined my runs because I couldn't hit fast moving enemies.

I think I was in necropolis? It's the one with the skull or face or whatever on the progression map.

Monstro's Lung is tough because it bottoms out your rate-of-fire, which is what governs charge time. But it synergies like crazy with a handful of items, to the point that it's probably worth picking up.

I find the Cursed Eye hard to use in general, and lacking in DPS compared to almost any other upgrade. But the real reason to avoid it is that it has a hidden ability. While a shot is charging, or being held, if you get hit you have a chance to randomly teleport to another room. It's infuriating. I've quite using dice rooms with a 6 or a 1 in them, as I had a pretty decent run ruined by randomly getting Cursed Eye on a character reroll. But it's sooooooo tempting to see what will happen.

I'm thinking about using Cheat Engine to mess around with The Lost. Not to make it too easy, but to give myself one or two items at the start of the run that will at least make it possible (nothing cheesy like Gnawed Leaf and Daddy Longlegs). As it is, I'm just startscumming over and over, so all I'm doing is saving the time of the dozens of automatic failures when the first treasure room is crap.

I'm sure this little trick is well known, but I just grabbed Rebirth a couple days ago and found this little synergy, and thought I'd share:

The petrified poop trinket dramatically increases the chances of items dropping from destroyed poop. If you nab it, and are lucky enough to run across a Larry Jr. boss or room, you can basically farm the poop he drops as long as you want. Great way to stock up on keys, bombs, coins and hearts. Obviously it's not useful if you're going for a speed run. 

Poop doesn't drop bombs or keys now, just coins and hearts (including soul hearts on rare occasions). So poop farming isn't what it used to be, but it is still useful.

THe cards and pills kinda annoy me. The only way to know what they do is to use them. I don't really want to look up a wiki each time I get a new one.

Pills are random every run. The whole point is that you're taking a risk! Cards are always the same, though, and just require experimentation to learn.

Poop doesn't drop bombs or keys now, just coins and hearts (including soul hearts on rare occasions). So poop farming isn't what it used to be, but it is still useful.

Really! That explains why I ended up with some coins and a room full of hearts. I chalked it up to bad luck, thought maybe keys and bombs were just rarer. Well, at least it let me max out the blood donation machine.

THe cards and pills kinda annoy me. The only way to know what they do is to use them. I don't really want to look up a wiki each time I get a new one.

for what it's worth, if you have a card, you can hold tab (or back/select) and it'll replace the card name with a cryptic description of what the card will do. As for pills, you'll just have to chance it if it's ???, and hope for the best.

I use the face buttons when I have tears, and I use the right analog stick when I have a charged attack. I'll switch back and forth for Lil Brim and other special cases like that.

Ha, I just remembered that I thought, "Huh, I should probably buy a Steam controller when it comes out because The Binding of Isaac remake is going to be here in just over a year."

Valve, you scamps!

What controller can I use on a Mac?

Just did my first chest run, and boy was it a doozy. Ipecac + triple shot + the parasite (splitting tears). If you think that sounds like a recipe for disaster, well, you're not wrong... except I also had blank card and hierophant as well as a dark bum to keep me in spirit hearts. Before I got the hierophant I had a two of clubs card, and along with a bombs are key pill... well, I didn't have any trouble with locks, and on the rare occasion when I needed explosives a bit more precise than three ipecac shots that split into 6 more I was well stocked.

post-26188-0-91759100-1416296155_thumb.jpg