N1njaSquirrel

Binding of Isaac: Rebirth

So I've been meaning to create this topic for quite a while now. As the game is now "currently nearing completion", it seems appropriate somewhat.

Oh boy the new Binding of Isaac game looks amazing. Edmund McMillian has been updating the binding of isaac tumblr for the last month or so with updates and new additions to the game. It looks sweet.

When he first mentioned that there's going to be a graphical overhaul, to make it look more like Zelda: LTTP, I was really skeptical, as I personally loved the art of the first game. I'm really pleased to see that the new game looks amazing though. There's a lot of stuff I'm looking forward to:

Co-op:

PzUWfZe.gif

New bosses:

i9Dt70R.gif

Huge rooms:

uVSV6tA.gif

Becoming OP in new exciting ways:

HFo1LtT.gif

WseN0zU.gif

Awesome new soundtrack:

The list goes on.

iklkQ4r.gif

So yeah. I have been looking forward to this game for a long time, and I'm super excited that it's almost nearly done. 

isaac makes me so happy.  

A reservation about Rebirth I have is to the room size - but seeing these interesting AoE combos it'll be fine (ring of brimstone  :clap: )

Very excited to play this game.

I'd wager Remo will get Zuma'd hard by it.

Ugh Co-op sneek-peek gameplay. Looks so flippin good. I love how they strategise and stuff. This game. I'm more excited for this game than anything else right now.

It looks / seems too similar to the first one for me,

although I still have much more to unlock and do in the first one, so that might be why i am hesitant about getting this one, despite the fact that i love the game.

besides co-op and the gaphical update, are there any other major differences? (do not mean new items, monsters, etc...) 

It looks / seems too similar to the first one for me,

although I still have much more to unlock and do in the first one, so that might be why i am hesitant about getting this one, despite the fact that i love the game.

besides co-op and the gaphical update, are there any other major differences? (do not mean new items, monsters, etc...) 

The list of changes is pretty massive.  Stuff I'm particularly interested in includes new characters, new chapter, baked in controller support that is supposed to be extra robust,  daily run/challenge mode,  additional challenge modes, and seeded mode that will support head to head speedrun races.

The biggest for me is the ability to save/load a run midway through.  I'm not a fast BoI player, I tend to play pretty slowly and carefully, which means a full run to the Chest is not a small time investment and one of the reasons I quit trying to get my last few unlocks was because I just couldn't justify the length of time a single run took me since I had to make it in one shot.

Mid Game Saves?

I'm sold! I am not a fast one either. 

and thanks for the link!

Release date trailer and a Steam store page! Coming Nov 4th (still two months away, but it's nice to have a soonish date confirmed).

http://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/250900/

From the Steam page:

Key Features:
Over 500 hours of gameplay
4 BILLION Seeded runs!
20 Challenge runs
450+ items, including 160 new unlockables
Integrated controller support for popular control pads!
Analog directional movement and speed
Tons of feature film quality animated endings
Over 100 specialized seeds
2-Player local co-op
Over 100 co-op characters
Dynamic lighting, visual effects and art direction
All-new game engine @60FPS 24/7
All-new soundtrack and sound design
Multiple Save slots
Poop physics!
The ultimate roguelike
A bunch of achievements

Uber secrets including:
10 Playable Characters
100+ enemies, with new designs
Over 50 bosses, including tons of new and rare bosses
Rooms FULL OF POOP!
Mystic Runes
Upgradeable shops

The original was a real sleeper hit for me, and after playing, getting hooked, leaving, coming back and actually BEATING it, then getting hooked all over again, I am certainly ready to love/despair once more.

One of the things that always impressed me about the game was its implicit style of storytelling. Almost nothing is told, but there's plenty implied and it allows for some very out there stuff, interpretation-wise.

And VITA?! Hot diggity! I've got myself a NEEEEW commute game!

The trailer is amazing. I'm super psyched for this game. I'm saddened though that I have to wait 2 months. In my head it was only one. I'm also amazed that this game has been hovering between 1st-5th places in the steam charts. CRAZY!

There's also a PAX co-op playthrough video which features the most irritating man in the world, and the developer who slowly gets more tired with his inane bullshit:

The reward for putting up with the annoying guy is that you get to see some really nice co-op tactics and tricks, as well as some new items and the like.

If you can't put up with him, there's a more charming co-op featuring Edmund and Danielle (his wife):

Super pumped for this game.

To celebrate BoI's 3rd anniversary there is a 30 minute interview now on Youtube (from Indie Game the Movie SE). It has little to do with Rebirth but if you're curious about the game this is a great way to learn more about its origins and themes.

Thanks for the reminder!  I had forgot to buy it yet, can't wait to see the local co-op in action. 

Took a break this afternoon from work and played one run. Man, it's weird. It is so familiar, and so alien at the same time. Got a couple of the new items, and a couple of items I thought I knew what they did do something different now. Going to be fun relearning all this stuff.

I made it to Mom the first time, but died to her, mostly because I bought 3 devil items (even though I didn't even want or need the third item) to go ahead and get Cain unlocked. Figured as long as I could, I might as well.

Ughhh, I picked up Guppy and should never pick up Guppy.  I made it to Mom but got one-hit-killed seven times.

Also once again, I set aside a half-hour to play this game and end up playing for an hour.  I like it when I die quickly!

It feels weird to have flies shoot at me at actual speed; I'm used to being able to count on Flash slowdown to be able to bullet time around their shots.

Oh man this is better than anything I expected it to be. It really does feel complete in the way the original doesn't. I'm playing it on a controller and it's super smooth. Also the way you can use the face buttons as attack directions is a great idea.

The coolest thing I've come across so far:

1xG4to4.jpg

Also a nice Centipede reference:

OcJn36F.jpg

Sorry the pictures are so big! I'll down size them next time XD

Just played my first run - I have been really excited for Rebirth as I clocked over 300 hours in the original game + expansion.  

I've had a problem with the screen momentarily going black every time an enemy does a "stomp" move though (such as when Mom's foot comes down or Monstro's jump attacks).  That aside though I'm loving it already.  

The new items are great and I'm really enjoying seeing how items synergise with one another.  Maybe this was something advertised heavily in previews but I ignored pretty much all of them because I wanted to go into it blind, and I'm glad I did because it was a nice surprise. 

first VV for isaac.  poly+mega mushroom+blood clot+ some new item that made them x4 larger & short range...whatever about it i wish i had access to chest cause i would have gone all the way

pics of said power up

post-33948-0-46090300-1415163633_thumb.jpg

I tried my first Challenge Run, the Tank.  About the third floor, I encountered a new room, which randomizes all of the items you've picked up.  Ended up giving me almost entirely companions, plus flight and some shot upgrade I've never seen:

post-33601-0-83342700-1415176528_thumb.jpg

The Dice room gave me 7 companions, and I picked up an 8th shortly thereafter.  It was cool, but since I'm not used to the new items, it was kind of a clusterfuck for a bit as I had no clue what all I could do.  It was a cakewalk to finish the rest of that run.

I've only made 3 total runs so far, so I know that's not much of a sample.  But so far its feeling easier.  Maybe I've gotten lucky, but it feels like I've ended up with some pretty awesome combinations of stuff on each run so far.  The IV Bag plus Leech is crazy, in the right rooms you can farm a ton of money in no time at all.

When I play this with my xbox controller it seems like I'm moving slower on diagonals vs when I use the keyboard. Is anybody else experiencing this?

I played this for an hour or two last night. I never touched the original so I have no idea what's going on. I'm still not sure what half the items I picked up even do. Figuring it all out is pretty compelling though. And for all you pros talking about how it's easier, the furthest I got was the 3rd level.

Got my first mom kill!

post-9858-0-98088700-1415213805_thumb.jpg  

(Yeah,  my tears are orbiting around me in a whirlwind.  :tup: )

I picked up two "The Dollar"'s with Cain and found this awesome free-to-play-pay-to-win item that let me unleash hell. You can use it as much as you can afford, as quickly as you can tap the space bar.

I took a big break from Isaac after getting platinum god. My success had to do with the game chugging every time there were a ton of bullets on screen. Now the game is super smooth and I'm taking a lot of stupid damage. No time to type interesting things, gotta get another game in before work!

Also the way you can use the face buttons as attack directions is a great idea.

They seem to have set it up exactly the same way that I programmed Joy2Key for the original. It was a nice surprise to be able to just play like I always have.

Also, the PSN version is cross-buy and cross-save on PS4 & Vita, and is free this month for PS+ members. I can play BoI on the bus now! Crazy!