Golden Calf

Quantized Roguelike Chess Dancing: Crypt of the Necrodancer

I was surprised that I couldn't find a thread for this game on here already. It's coming to steam early access next Wednesday, the trailer for which is here:

The team describes it as a "rhythm dungeon crawler". Being an idiot, I prefer "Quantized Roguelike Chess Dancer".

Currently, there are only 3 zones, with 4 being planned (I think). Each zone has 3 levels with a random layout, enemies, and miniboss, and then a final zone boss (one of three currently, whose difficulty changes based on which zone they are assigned to).

The enemies only act on the beat of the music. If you act (move/attack/dig) on the beat, you build up a multiplier that changes the amount of coins the enemies drop, which can be used to buy a huge selection of items. The music is pretty great. It's by Danny Baranowsky, who previously worked on Super Meat Boy. You can also apparently use your own.

In terms of actual gameplay, you only use the arrow keys (or dance pad, if you're inclined). Moving to a square with an enemy attempts to attack it. Moving into a wall attempts to dig through it. Like chess, the enemies all have specific movement/attack patterns. And so, also like chess, you are splitting your time between attacking and jockeying for good/safe positioning. There are a ton of different modes and difficulty levels, and the skill ceiling seems preposterously high. Currently, and for the next few days, there's In the past, there was a sort of charity tournament organized by the devs with a bunch of different categories. Bananasaurus Rex, of Spelunky streaming fame, won the race to be the first to complete what is probably the hardest mode (no missing the beat, have to use starting weapon, no getting hit, etc). He's moved on to some other categories, and occasionally the devs drop by, sometimes Notch shows up. It's fun.

There are some things I don't like. The art direction feels a little scattershot at times, especially in the later levels. I wish there was more variety in the music rhythms, more syncopation, rest beats, etc. Overall, I'm super excited for it though, and I think you should be too.

Twerking ghosts!  :tup:

This looks quite interesting actually.

I've been enjoying this game as of late.

I actually think the art direction is pretty solid, although I have only just finished the first zone. I'm going to assume that as it's in EA, the art direction will be nailed down more as it creeps closer to the live date.

I do agree with the music variety. Especially in the first level of a given zone is just a tad too slow for my liking. some different or more advanced rhythms would be nice.

I like the permanent world shops. These are shops where you can spend diamonds that you collect on a run to unlock treasures that then become available in the zones, and upgrades that are permanent. It makes the replay value higher, which is important in rougelikes.

Another problem I have is that I'm not quite sure what's the best weapon type. I've noticed that there is 7 weapon types - normal, gold, blood, obsidian, titanite, glass and diamond(?). Most of these are pretty self-explanatory, but I have no idea as to what blood weapons do. I thought they'd increase in damage with kill streaks, but it doesn't seem to work. Any ideas? Diamond is also obscure, but that's because it's only active when you have a diamond - the next kill consumes a diamond and multiplies the enemy gold drop by a number, and you get a load of gold. 

Other than that, the problems I have can be easily levelled at rougelikes in general. If you don't get a good roll on the first floor, you're chances of survival are slim. 

Also my favourite weapons so far is the obsidian whip, which is kinda broken, and the blunderbuss, which I only got once - but holy moly it destroys everything.

Finally the way they do magic spells and consumable items is great. Instead of another button, you have to press up + left or down + right. It's a bit cumbersome at first, but when you get into the swing of things it's really satisfying to drop spells and bombs without missing a beat. It's also an interesting way of using a restricted button set, which I dig. (as it means you can still play it on a dance mat, which is rad). 

I guess that's all for now? This game is good fun. I give it 2 thumbs up.  :tup:  :tup:

Another problem I have is that I'm not quite sure what's the best weapon type. I've noticed that there is 7 weapon types - normal, gold, blood, obsidian, titanite, glass and diamond(?). Most of these are pretty self-explanatory, but I have no idea as to what blood weapons do. I thought they'd increase in damage with kill streaks, but it doesn't seem to work. Any ideas? Diamond is also obscure, but that's because it's only active when you have a diamond - the next kill consumes a diamond and multiplies the enemy gold drop by a number, and you get a load of gold. 

Blood gives you 1/2 a heart back after you kill 10 enemies.

It seems really hard to say what the best weapon type is. They alter your move set so much that each is going to have situational advantages and disadvantages that you will have to work around, which I think is kind of cool.

But in terms of materials, I think high-level players are going to tend first toward glass (highest damage, breaks upon being hit), then obsidian (next highest damage, depends on you staying on the beat), then titanium (next highest damage, no conditions).

Finally the way they do magic spells and consumable items is great. Instead of another button, you have to press up + left or down + right. It's a bit cumbersome at first, but when you get into the swing of things it's really satisfying to drop spells and bombs without missing a beat. It's also an interesting way of using a restricted button set, which I dig. (as it means you can still play it on a dance mat, which is rad). 

Ya I love that stuff.

Edit: oops, meant to put that all in one post. Silly me.

Ahh right that explains a lot. Thanks! :)

I'm not good enough for the glass equipment yet. It always tends to break, and then I'm running about unarmed struggling to get to my weapon.

So I met the conga boss today, which instantly kicked my ass, but never-the-less was a load of fun.

The reason why I bring it up is because in that boss, the beat changes periodically, and that's what killed me. Knowing this, I'm excited to go back and try to kill that mother. Although, I have yet to get to that mother since.

Also fuck the red dragon. Seriously. So many games have ended my me hearing a rumble and seeing a red dragon is homing in on my ass. My glee of managing to avoid his one-shot fireball attack is then shattered by getting my face clawed off in the next attack.

Also also, my new favorite tactic is to bomb a corner of the shop, as each of those shop walls drop 10 gold.

So I don't have anything particularly smart to say about this game, other than it is generally pretty great. My one regret is that my MP3 collection was lost a hard drive crash or two ago, so the custom soundtrack part doesn't work for me so well. That basically doesn't matter though, since the stock soundtrack is pretty cool on its own.

I've actually had that particular issue a few times now. In an era of subscription services I bet that's a really common issue for "custom soundtrack games". I know spotify offers and API and I believe that rdio does as well. I wonder why we haven't seen a smaller music game (not playign directly with labels) try and go that route. 

There where poeple at indiecade this year playing it on dance pads at night games. That was pretty awesome!

So, how would you hit an enemy which is on a tile diagonally from you? I do love everything I've seen about this game so far, but curious about that.

So, how would you hit an enemy which is on a tile diagonally from you? I do love everything I've seen about this game so far, but curious about that.

Each weapon has a different area of effect. So, with a dagger (only hits 1 space in front of you), you would have to move first, but with a broadsword (hits 3 spaces in a line perpendicular to your facing) you can just hit it from where you're standing, by pressing either of the two directions where the enemy is.

So bought and started playing Necrodancer this weekend.  I'm terrible!  But I think it's really good, from what I can tell with my limited skills.  It's surprisingly joyful for a rougelike, which is not an emotion that I would typically associate with the genre.  It's like the Binding of Isaac's good twin. 

Co-op is fun, though it doesn't seem like anything is different other than adding another player.  Keeping a coin multiplier going seems essentially impossible. 

I played one game of Bard mode, and want to play more because of the puzzle aspect of it.  But I'm afraid it will make me develop bad habits for the regular game.

So bought and started playing Necrodancer this weekend.  I'm terrible!  But I think it's really good, from what I can tell with my limited skills.  It's surprisingly joyful for a rougelike, which is not an emotion that I would typically associate with the genre.  It's like the Binding of Isaac's good twin. 

Co-op is fun, though it doesn't seem like anything is different other than adding another player.  Keeping a coin multiplier going seems essentially impossible. 

I played one game of Bard mode, and want to play more because of the puzzle aspect of it.  But I'm afraid it will make me develop bad habits for the regular game.

God I'm so bad haha. The game is deceptively complex, with all the different variables going on at once, from attack pattern to damage to armor to shovel type, etc., etc. It definitely fills that Spelunky hole where I can play 30mins-1hr tops each day and get a little better each time though. 

I think the shopkeeper's singing goes a long way in establishing a lighthearted tone, plus the mellowness of zone 2, among other things. They made a lot of great artistic choices.

I've found bard mode is actually really useful in building good habits. Before I'm decent at handling specific enemy movements, I'll usually just end up flailing when I run into them. Bard lets me take as long as I need to plan and internalize good patterns.

It definitely fills that Spelunky hole where I can play 30mins-1hr tops each day and get a little better each time though. 

Say no more, I'm sold. I need a new game to fill my old-man-style video game sessions and this is looking pretty awesome.

Jesus zone 3 on hardcore is so difficult. My puny human brain can't come close to processing everything....

Made it to zone 2 tonight.  Got killed by a wizard.

VIDEO GAMES!

Made it to zone 2 tonight. Got killed by a wizard.

VIDEO GAMES!

That wizzzzaaaard came from the bassoon.

Thanks folks, I'll be here all week, don't forget to tip your waitresses.

That wizzzzaaaard came from the bassoon.

Thanks folks, I'll be here all week, don't forget to tip your waitresses.

Sung to the tune of Moon River:

Basooooooon wizard, killing me with style

Crossing a room when you suck me in, nay!

You're a wind maker, a run breaker

Wherever you're goin, I'm runnin' away

This basoonist looks like Brecon. I noticed it today.

FS7vKS2.png

Thanks to the combination of a burst water main at work and a lowered difficulty for zone 3, I finally beat hardcore mode wooooo.

I have started missing beats a lot. I'm pretty sure it is not me, and it makes me so sad:(

I did and it continued to happen. I'll try again this evening. Perhaps it is my keyboard or something:/

Hey now this game is actually coming out today! Who's going to give it another go? I'm definitely going to re-download it after being a bit burnt out from the early EA. I hear they've added a load of new stuff, which is exciting. Including an involved story mode and like 6 characters? Crazy!