Sign in to follow this  
Rob Zacny

Episode 269: Crisis Management

Game Designer Chris King joins Rob and Troy to talk about crisis management and political tension in video games. In this anniversary year of World War I it's only fitting to discuss the systems and mechanics that create the powder kegs that eventually spawn global conflict. It's also never a bad time to talk about Victoria 2.

Listen here.

http://imperiagame.wordpress.com/

You play the newly-minted emperor of a longstanding space empire, and

Also, to Chris King: A Victoria-style game set in the Dune universe or something like it.  You know you want to make it.

Edit:  Ok, I should have listened to the whole podcast first.  I wrote the above about a quarter of the way in.  Yay!  But what I'd love to see is something in a decadent existing faction-riven empire, rather than the MOO style of expanding new empires.

If you were doing the Dune Universe I think a Crusder Kings style game might be better. With the Emperor and his various nobles squabbling and scheming. Plus you get the chance to breed a super being which is always fun. 

If you were doing the Dune Universe I think a Crusder Kings style game might be better. With the Emperor and his various nobles squabbling and scheming. Plus you get the chance to breed a super being which is always fun. 

I played the hell out of the first Crusader Kings and know a bunch of friends who did, too. For all of us, the late game always turned into a pretty sophisticated eugenics program, because the potential was there but tantalizingly inaccessible, so a similar game that actually supported that diagetically would be... well, not necessarily great, but fascinating.

I would love someone to build this; I've wanted it for years.  It wouldn't need to be Dune per se, just that kind of decadent, formalized, faction-riven space empire.  I'd build it myself, but I've already got too many side projects on the go.