Sign in to follow this  
coaxmetal

Formula Thumb: Motorsport Megathread

Formula 1: What is it, and why does it matter to me?

according to Wikipedia, formula 1 is " the highest class of single-seater auto racing sanctioned by the Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA)."

But what does mean? Wikipedia will be no help, so I turned to my old friend Webster:

formula 1

The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary. Click on a spelling suggestion below or try again using the search bar above.

so there you have it. As to why it matters, it probably doesn't.

It does matter to me though, inasmuch as I quite enjoy it, so I figured i'd make a thread to see if any other forum goers were interested.

I started watching for the first time this year, and have ended up getting really into it ( enough to buy tickets to see the American Grand Prix in Austin). That's notable, as it is really the only sport that I can say that about. Now I understand what people like about sports though! Anyway, I started at the first race of this season, the Australian Grand Prix in March, which I enjoyed, but I wasn't sold on the sport until the 2nd race in Malaysia, and the 3rd, the Bahrain Grand Prix, was an incredible race as well. So I wanted to talk about motorsports, mostly just F1 though because I don't follow any others.

How do I watch it, you ask? Well if you are in the united states, not easily. If you wake up at 5 am pacific time to watch the races live in europe, you can stream it from some of those rather illicit sports streaming sites. I use squirrelstreams usually. Alternatively, you can acquire coverage of it after the fact if you know where to look. Or you can pay for NBC sports, but that is only for watching it live as well and requires a hefty cable package.

Here's a picture of a car and a jet and Daniel Ricciardo, the smilingest man in F1:

i95YI6almMsLH.jpg

Here's a picture of my cat:

kPkYuFe.jpg?1

I used to be into Formula 1 a bit when I was younger. Around '97 I believe, when my favourite driver Jaques Villeneuve won the championship. A year or so later my interest waned (largely because they stopped broadcasting the races on the public channels here). I've tried watching it a few times since but have had a hard time getting back into it though, not really gotten hooked again.

Working at a studio that makes motorsport games have however gotten me into other series such as the german "DTM" series, where I constantly get upset that Timo Glock never can keep his high positions on the final lap.

I don't watch much F1, but I occasionally catch part of a race, and a close friend and ex-flatmate is heavily into it. Mainly I listen to and enjoy the Alt+F1 podcast on Giant Bomb. I do find the ever-changing nature of the sport pretty fascinating.

I don't watch much F1, but I occasionally catch part of a race, and a close friend and ex-flatmate is heavily into it. Mainly I listen to and enjoy the Alt+F1 podcast on Giant Bomb. I do find the ever-changing nature of the sport pretty fascinating.

Yeah, I also listen to Alt+F1. thats why I started watching it in the first place, actually. I think I ended up getting deeper into it than Drew and Danny though. The changing nature of the sport is really cool, and I also really enjoy the sorts of strategy that are largely unique to it (or at least to motorsports), like tires and fuel strategy.

I used to be into Formula 1 a bit when I was younger. Around '97 I believe, when my favourite driver Jaques Villeneuve won the championship. A year or so later my interest waned (largely because they stopped broadcasting the races on the public channels here). I've tried watching it a few times since but have had a hard time getting back into it though, not really gotten hooked again.

Working at a studio that makes motorsport games have however gotten me into other series such as the german "DTM" series, where I constantly get upset that Timo Glock never can keep his high positions on the final lap.

The fact that it is so hard to view the races is pretty annoying. I end up either waking up early and catching a stream, sometimes using a VPN to watch on BBC, but BBC only has some of the races. The other way is torrents, there are a couple of private trackers that just have motorsport stuff. I wish the FIA or maybe just Bernie and F1 would look to the WWE for inspiration and launch a WWE network style service. A lot of people would pay for that. I guess F1 isn't really about making money though, and I think they are locked up pretty tight with TV contracts. Still dumb.

I've been watching since Hamilton's rookie year in 2007, and being British myself, have found he's my favourite driver (even in spite of his tantrums). This year has been my favourite so far; the big shake up with the technical regulations has lead to some excellent races. Long may it continue!

I've been watching since Hamilton's rookie year in 2007, and being British myself, have found he's my favourite driver (even in spite of his tantrums). This year has been my favourite so far; the big shake up with the technical regulations has lead to some excellent races. Long may it continue!

Yeah i'm loving it too. Good battle at the top between Hamilton and Rosberg too, though neither of them are my favorite drivers. The German GP this weekend was great, though I feel sorry for Massa. It was a lot of fun seeing good drivers in good cars at the back of the pack make their way up, like Ricciardo, Hamilton, Magnussen. Also more Alonso battles, which are great.