melmer

Nobody expects the Dragon Age Inquisition

My dislike of her is completely rooted in the first game. She was nothing but sassy the entire time, but I still busted my ass getting her dang book and fighting her mother, the hardest boss in the game. Then she decides she wants to have a kid with Alistair, which would make the kid that she's planning on sacrificing to Flemith frickin heir to the throne, and there's no way I'm letting that happen and she leaves in a huff. I wish I could have stabbed her in the back on the way out.

m-m-m-morrigan

Her intent was never to sacrifice the kid to Flemeth. It was to preserve the soul of the old god. Besides self-preservation, that's her number one motivation. Making sure the old magic doesn't fade out forever. Or at least that's how it played out for me.

Hmm, I wonder if that was a misunderstanding on my part or if we had conversations play out differently.

I could swear she said that Flemeth will come back and she wanted to have the kid so Flemeth could take him/her, instead of taking Morrigan.

more-igan

first game ending

Maybe she said both. She definitely definitely said she wanted to take the Old God soul, though, since that was the only way you (or Alistair) wouldn't die from killing the Archdemon.

third game later junk

Also in Inquisition, regardless of what she said in the first game, she's super worried and doesn't want her son to die. She actually cares significantly about him. Leliana comments on it, saying "having a son must have changed her", or something like that.

I hope that doesn't mean she's going to be insufferable for me since Dragon Age: Origins didn't end that way for me.

PROBABLY DOES!

But she's great in Origins so you suck anyway!

third game later junk

Also in Inquisition, regardless of what she said in the first game, she's super worried and doesn't want her son to die. She actually cares significantly about him. Leliana comments on it, saying "having a son must have changed her", or something like that.

Speaking of which, I'm surprised Leliana doesn't have more to say about her. I know they weren't necessarily BFFs or whatever, but it seems weird how little she has to say at all. "Hey, FYI her mother is Flemeth who can transform into a fucking dragon etc." would seem like it would be something worth informing the inquisitor about, I dunno.

But she's great in Origins so you suck anyway!

She is a cartoonish sociopath who loudly voices her objections to you doing anything remotely kind! I didn't find her insufferable because I couldn't even take her seriously. She didn't feel like a person, just an absurd caricature. I mean seriously, she objects when you help other people, not because it's a waste of resources, but just because "screw other people".

What exactly is there to like about her?

And if you keep talking to her throughout the game she becomes a million times more understandable? I dunno man if you want to hate her, go ahead, but she's not just "a cartoonish sociopath", just like Leliana isn't just "an innocent believer in Andraste" just like Sten isn't just "a gruff warrior" just like Oghren isn't just "a drunk dwarf" (actually Oghren is pretty much just a drunk dwarf and that's why he's the worst, OR the best).

I never felt like she stopped being implausibly evil though. Sure she gets a backstory about a lousy upbringing, but she was too evil for that to make her sympathetic, and she continues her mustache-twirling-villain level of disdain for anything north of True Neutral.

I liked morrigan in both games, but I'm not sure if that's because she was a good character or because I find Claudia Black's voice mesmerizing.

I never felt like she stopped being implausibly evil though. Sure she gets a backstory about a lousy upbringing, but she was too evil for that to make her sympathetic, and she continues her mustache-twirling-villain level of disdain for anything north of True Neutral.

Yup! Moustache twirling is pretty much why I don't like her. That, and her ridiculous boob shirt. I mean seriously, it wouldn't help her modesty during a fight. It's literally kept there by nothing.

I liked morrigan in both games, but I'm not sure if that's because she was a good character or because I find Claudia Black's voice mesmerizing.

It's times like this I wish I hadn't seen Farscape, because now that's all I think about when I hear her voice.

I spent some more time with DAI this weekend and finally got into doing the dragon hunts.  So far they've been fantastic.  A whole lot of fun, dynamic, and really feel like an achievement when you finally beat one.  Playing these bits also revealed what I suspected were the frustrations with the combat--mainly that the terrain is the problem.  On even terrain, as you typically see in a dragon fight, the mechanics are smooth and don't fail or create weird situations like they do in uneven terrain.  Also for anyone who is just starting, get the hell out of the hinterlands ASAP, the quests are way more interesting in other areas.

I'm about 65 hours into the game but my completionist self has finally taken over and caused me to clear every existing territory there is before moving on to deal with

those Grey Warden rascals.

I finished before getting 3 of the achievements/trophies. The collect all shards, solve all astranarium (or whatever) puzzles and upgrade potions. 

I keep getting the urge to go back and do it, but have to tell myself not to because it's so ridiculous. None of those activities are interesting in the slightest.

The astrariums at least have a unique puzzle in each one. The frustrating thing about them is that you feel pressured to solve them in one sitting, because who wants walk out to wherever the astrarium is to try it again? So you just bang your head against it until you're not having fun. If you could work on the puzzles from anywhere and then travel back out to input the solution, they'd be a pretty solid side activity.

Just finished the game, that post credits scene really throws the lore for a loop. I can't want to see how they build on that in DLC or a sequel. My final playtime was over 120 hours (dunno where I found the time) and I tried to do everything. My quest log and war table were both empty when I went into the final battle.

I think I am going to try to limp across the finish line on Normal with 80ish hours invested and most missions complete. I avoided spoilers as much as possible and didn't optimize - and enjoyed it quite a bit, albeit with the hot/cold experience I mentioned earlier in this thread.

Finally getting near the end. There was some water, and a bunch of decisions to make.

I still really really hate Morrigan.

I actually platinumed it recently. I quite enjoyed it, it involved a lot of sight seeing. I still don't know how I feel about DA:I. While playing, I felt like I was enjoying it, but when I stopped all the things that were wrong flooded into my head and I immediately thought "man that was kind of bad, the side quests really sucked and the combat was real shitty."

The thing is, I didn't really mind while I was playing. The world was big enough and interesting enough to keep me engaged. It was a decent game but I won't ever go back to it and I probably won't touch the DLC.

I've over-leveled most everything and it's actually made the game more enjoyable for me. I'm trying to decide how much more side stuff I want to do, or if I should just wrap it up.

I actually platinumed it recently. I quite enjoyed it, it involved a lot of sight seeing. I still don't know how I feel about DA:I. While playing, I felt like I was enjoying it, but when I stopped all the things that were wrong flooded into my head and I immediately thought "man that was kind of bad, the side quests really sucked and the combat was real shitty."

The thing is, I didn't really mind while I was playing. The world was big enough and interesting enough to keep me engaged. It was a decent game but I won't ever go back to it and I probably won't touch the DLC.

I got a similar feeling from the game. I really enjoy the combat, or more specifically the level up system. I like the theory crafting aspect of RPGs and DAI allows for some pretty cool combos and what not once you get into it.

After beating the game I think most of my problems arise from the world design and the inclusion of mechanics that seem to just be there because they are expected to be. I may go back to it at some point, particularly if there is a sizable expansion released in the future.

Just finished tonight, last few fights were pretty easy, and I kinda enjoyed that. I would give the game 4/5.

I'm near the end, What Pride has Wrought, and realized I hadn't even been to the Hissing Wastes yet, which brings me to my main complaint: I feel like individual parts of the game are well done but it's very poorly knit together. It's more obvious where the seam lines are, with self contained content bites. So much of the world barely ties into the rest of the major story, aside from being places that you have to go and close rifts. Related: It would have been cool if Skyhold (and other strongholds/cities) were under perpetual demon siege and closing rifts had some effect on that. 

The core campaign path is actually seems kind of short compared the total content, and a lot of that world stuff seems downgraded to codex entries. Every map is full of medieval text messages, where you never catch up with the people sending. I feel like in other the other games you'd eventually catch up to the lovers or the vengeful brothers. Now, it always seems like the end is a desiccated skeleton. 

My memory of the previous game also involved your party members having more to say about the places you went. Hissing Wastes is a good example, and also the one where I think they did the best job of it. I liked this zone's theme, and Varric has something to say about each ruin, but when you get to the last one, it's just a chest, and he just delivers the one line like "I guess this is what the paragon had made" and that's it? He talks about the myth of paragons becoming living stone, which would have been a cool opportunity to do something with that, either have it be true, or not true and be something to talk about. 

The core campaign path is short, but the power requirements ensure that you have to do at least some of the side stuff. I enjoyed my time with the side stuff more than the main story for the most part. I unlocked every area, spent all the power I could and then finished shortly after.