melmer

Nobody expects the Dragon Age Inquisition

Elfroot is easy to buy, like 20 for infinity, same for blood lotus and spindleweed.

I'm still enjoying the game. My biggest problem with gathering is that animation time.

Also I wish there were storage chests in this game. I quite like having a collection of unique items. Had to abandon that hobby though.

Also I'm finally doing my favourite Dragon Age activity; talking with fade spirits.

Also Dorian's conversation with his father struck a chord with me. I could feel myself starting to cry by the end which was nicely cathartic.

You can buy it?! Where can you buy it?! I've checked a lot of shops and they very rarely have crafting materials!

Twig, on 26 Jan 2015 - 11:28, said:

You can buy it?! Where can you buy it?! I've checked a lot of shops and they very rarely have crafting materials!

The fort in Crestwood or possibly the Western Approach? I remember finding that those vendors that appear after completing quests often sold things you couldn't find anywhere else.

Gathering materials is thematically stupid as well as mechanically boring. You're the leader of a world-shaking political organization and you have to pick your own elfroot and mine your own iron? The reliance on potions is also narratively weird. Cullen's whole storyline is about him kicking the lyrium additiction, but you can chug down all the lyrium-laced potions you can make and be fine.

Since running out of healing potions is only a time sink, they should probably just replace them with healing spells limited by cooldowns. It actually works kinda like that already if you invest in Barrier, particularly on multiple mages. Replacing potions with additional cooldown-based healing/damage mitigation abilities to all the classes would just lean into that, which is far more interesting than Origins' unlimited potion-chugging.

It might also be interesting if lyrium potions were available as an edge if you wanted to use them, but leaning too heavily on them would have narrative consequences. Certain characters/factions might have a hard time taking the Inquisitions seriously if the Inquisitor and his/her inner circle were rumored to be lyrium addicts, after all.

Interesting, my wartable is almost empty besides resource gathering missions. Since they only take around 10 minutes a piece, I'll start a set, run around talking to my companions, and it will be done about the same time I'm done talking. In general, I flit around a bunch so I haven't had any problems with resources yet, but I've also not really been able to craft anything worth having. Is there some secret to getting lots of good patterns?

On the dragon front, I just killed my first dragon. It was the one in Crestwood, it was level 13 and I was level 12. It was a very long fight, but also boring after I died once and got the pattern down. The only challenging thing was when he would do a wing-beat vacuum move that would tend to down both my mages unless I was quick on the draw and moved them in toward the dragon before they took too much damage. Cassandra tanked the entire time and only ever needed on healing potion and one regen potion. It still felt pretty epic, but I'm not sure if I like how all the bosses have such huge health bars. It seems kinda ridiculous.

Edit: Did anyone play in the multiplayer weekend? I actually had a lot of fun, I think it was just trying to be a shield guy that pissed me off. Once I started up a mage I had a great time.

Edit: Did anyone play in the multiplayer weekend? I actually had a lot of fun, I think it was just trying to be a shield guy that pissed me off. Once I started up a mage I had a great time.

I booted up the game on Sunday to reroll a new character and saw the banner about the MP event.  What did it entail that was different than the usual?

There's been an MP event every weekend since I started playing the game. I've yet to play MP, but I imagine it's like a double XP or something equivalent (better items, whatever).

While I haven´t much problem with the whole collect resources things, I kind wish recipes show exactly what kind of armor it is... because between this and the vague terms the game use "army", "defender", "battle", "vanguard" you kind get a few suits which a slight let down, such Orlesian Mage Army armor (or something like that) which does not look like anything of Orlesian design (at least on Dorian).

Never bothered with MP so far.

I booted up the game on Sunday to reroll a new character and saw the banner about the MP event.  What did it entail that was different than the usual?

They're basically doing the same thing as ME3 does, where there is a group goal (in this case 1 million secret chests opened) and a personal goal (25 secret chests.) If you participate even once and the community reaches the goal, you get a bonus card pack, and if you reach your personal goal, you get a bonus card pack as well. I haven't redeemed my group goal chest, but my personal goal card pack had some pretty awesome goodies that were much better than anything that I've pulled from any other chest or card pack I've opened. It might just be coincidence, or maybe they loot tables for those are better?

Anyone else feel like playing this game is like seeing into the version of SW:TOR you wanted?

No, that was Knights of The Old Republic.

I think Kotor and K2 are too cemented in their times (re: tech limitations) to have been this while I saw some glimpses of what could have been enabled in the mmo. But that's just me.

I'm enjoying this game quite a bit, but it's not reaching the heights that other Bioware games have for me. I feel like Bioware is dipping their toes into the water of making something more open-world like a Skyrim, but that leaves them with a semi-open world that's too segmented and full of fetch quests, and a main storyline that feels diluted compared to their previous games.

I'm 45 hours into it at this point, I'm level 17, completely cleared out a few areas, killed 3 of the dragons, and have about 5 hours left in the main story from what I've heard and I'm kind of ready to just finish it up. I think part of it is just that I don't find the world of Dragon Age all that interesting compared to a series like The Witcher, or even compared to other Bioware games like Mass Effect. I have honestly really enjoyed my time with it, but I feel like it's lacking compared to other recent RPGs. 

I'm 56 hours in and apparently am capable of taking on the final mission, according to dialogue options with the party. I've not even killed a dragon yet! I've enjoyed many of the hours spent with the game, but have been pretty frustrated or bored some of the time too. I am tempted to play it again at least once, so it's definitely not bad, but I agree it's nowhere near top-of-their-game Bioware

I finished the main story, and liked the ending. Rather than carrying on with my stabby rogue, I decided to roll a new character to make the opposite decisions to those I made already; I also messed around with Dragon Age Keep to alter the world state. I'm not going to do it at high priority, but I think it will be fun to chip away at and see the differences. Most of my interest comes from being invested in the previous games rather than this one to be honest.

I beat the game. Story was good, characters were good, combat was garbage, environments were cool but annoying to navigate, sidequests were largely shit, there was way too much busywork, aaaaaaaaaaaaand...

I AM UNHAPPY WITH THE POST CREDITS SCENE

this is about said scene

i liked solas A LOT and then they reveal a thing and then he dies like fuck off bioware dang ):

i mean he might not actually be dead but now he and mythal and the old god and flemeth (if she's actually a different entity) are now ALL ONE BEING and that's fuckin weird

poor solas ):

oh also some follow-up thoughts on my previous combat complaints

I was having SO MUCH TROUBLE living through the hard fights for SO LONG and then all of a sudden out of nowhere I just became this overpowered monster that absolutely wrecked everything. It got to the point where my only deaths were because I was too lazy to use a single potion, even though it was the only potion I would've needed to survive. And it didn't matter cause the rest of my party would clean up anyway. Like I don't understand. That game's combat is seriously fucked.

I beat the game. Story was good, characters were good, combat was garbage, environments were cool but annoying to navigate, sidequests were largely shit, there was way too much busywork, aaaaaaaaaaaaand...

I AM UNHAPPY WITH THE POST CREDITS SCENE

this is about said scene

i liked solas A LOT and then they reveal a thing and then he dies like fuck off bioware dang ):

i mean he might not actually be dead but now he and mythal and the old god and flemeth (if she's actually a different entity) are now ALL ONE BEING and that's fuckin weird

poor solas ):

oh also some follow-up thoughts on my previous combat complaints

I was having SO MUCH TROUBLE living through the hard fights for SO LONG and then all of a sudden out of nowhere I just became this overpowered monster that absolutely wrecked everything. It got to the point where my only deaths were because I was too lazy to use a single potion, even though it was the only potion I would've needed to survive. And it didn't matter cause the rest of my party would clean up anyway. Like I don't understand. That game's combat is seriously fucked.

Solas was carrying the dread wolf before DA:I started, he's why corypheus had the orb.  So not dead, just carrying mythal's soul in addition to fen'harel

I dunno, for me it felt like they did what they meant to do with DA2's combat, except it wasn't poopoo butter. Well, I mean compared to the initial version of DA2's combat before they removed the attack button on the pc version.

Yes I understand, it was explained in that exact scene that I'm talking about that he gave the orb to Corypheus. I read it as Flemeth taking over Solas' body, rather than Solas now carrying an additional gods' soul...

DA2's combat is shit too but at least it's never frustrating. I didn't play it with the attack button, though, so it probably would've been just as bad. DA:I would be an infinitely better game if they just made a usable tactical camera.

Yes I understand, it was explained in that exact scene that I'm talking about that he gave the orb to Corypheus. I read it as Flemeth taking over Solas' body, rather than Solas now carrying an additional gods' soul...

DA2's combat is shit too but at least it's never frustrating. I didn't play it with the attack button, though, so it probably would've been just as bad. DA:I would be an infinitely better game if they just made a usable tactical camera.

flemeth is dead.

I dunno, I never really had an issue with the combat, occasionally was pretty cool.  I didn't use tactical that much unless I was in a dragon fight or something.

Says who?

Nobody uses tactical combat because it's the literal goddamn worst thing about the game. The normal combat was the second worst!

Says who?

Nobody uses tactical combat because it's the literal goddamn worst thing about the game. The normal combat was the second worst!

He apologizes and says that he should pay the price, but "the people need me".  Immediately flemeth goes limp...pretty sure Solas is in the control there.  Vice Versa...flemeth has no real reason to give up her body.  There's also fen'harel being the trickster/rebel god.  Fits his persona to do what he did rather than simply pay the price.

The big difference between the two, as far as I can tell, is that DA2's combats are all at least three times as long as they should be because multiple waves of reinforcements spawn in for every goddamn fight. Inquisition at least has the grace to have the majority of its encounters limited to the enemies currently onscreen, and those usually number like, 4-6 tops. (Or at least, that's been true for as much of the game as I've played. I suppose it could change. I hope not.)

He apologizes and says that he should pay the price, but "the people need me".  Immediately flemeth goes limp...pretty sure Solas is in the control there.  Vice Versa...flemeth has no real reason to give up her body.  There's also fen'harel being the trickster/rebel god.  Fits his persona to do what he did rather than simply pay the price.

Actually, Flemeth is the last one to speak. She says "I'm sorry, too" and THEN she goes limp. She also has that thing where she needs a new body. But I just rewatched it and he does that creepy wolf magic face thing so you're probably right. Anyway I don't really care. Solas isn't Solas anymore.

Either way the combat is shit and I hate this game.

malkav: DA2's combats are definitely longer, but DA:I more than makes up for that lack of long combat with utterly boring busy work throughout the entire rest of the non-dialogue-selection gameplay. At least half of the hours I logged in this game are doing stupid shit that I shouldn't have to do because they actually wanted to make a collectathon platformer but were making an RPG instead.

Also DA2's combat never feels frustrating, and even if it lasts longer, it doesn't FEEL as long because everything's quick quick quick.

Oh also

(different topic, still near end-game)

What was that blue glowy lady who followed you through the eluvian after you drank from the well (or in my case after Morrigan drank from the well).

The spirit thing didn't show up later. At first I assumed it was maybe Mythal, since there was all that junk about being forever bound to Mythal, but then Flemeth was Mythal.

ither way the combat is shit and I hate this game.

malkav: DA2's combats are definitely longer, but DA:I more than makes up for that lack of long combat with utterly boring busy work throughout the entire rest of the non-dialogue-selection gameplay. At least half of the hours I logged in this game are doing stupid shit that I shouldn't have to do because they actually wanted to make a collectathon platformer but were making an RPG instead.

Also DA2's combat never feels frustrating, and even if it lasts longer, it doesn't FEEL as long because everything's quick quick quick.

You don't actually -have- to do most of the busywork, but they clearly want you to and I for one have a really hard time detaching myself from that completist mindset.

I can't agree about DA2's combat, though. I found it to be an unending sea of tedium to the point where I knocked it down to the easiest setting midway through, not because it was ever challenging, but because I just wanted to have the fights end as quickly as humanly possible. And they still dragged. I've been tempted to do the same with Inquisition but someone was saying (I think on Crate and Crowbar) that this didn't actually make the fights any quicker, just less likely to actually hurt you in any meaningful way. I haven't been frustrated by the fights, though. They're really easy even on Hard (as a mage, anyway) as long as I don't try to use the tactical camera and don't take on anything more than a few levels higher than me.

You don't actually -have- to do most of the busywork, but they clearly want you to and I for one have a really hard time detaching myself from that completist mindset.

I can't agree about DA2's combat, though. I found it to be an unending sea of tedium to the point where I knocked it down to the easiest setting midway through, not because it was ever challenging, but because I just wanted to have the fights end as quickly as humanly possible. And they still dragged. I've been tempted to do the same with Inquisition but someone was saying (I think on Crate and Crowbar) that this didn't actually make the fights any quicker, just less likely to actually hurt you in any meaningful way.

I feel like this is a chronic problem with the Dragon Age series as a whole. People raved about Dragon Age: Origins' combat, which wasn't very good but was different enough to be refreshing in an age when stop-and-go realtime battles weren't that common. The subsequent two games in the series has been doubling down on that design in odd ways, even though an explosion of tactical games in the intervening years has revealed Origins' combat to be drawn out and fiddly. It's just another example of how Bioware can understand perfectly why some people play their games but not why other people do.