melmer

Nobody expects the Dragon Age Inquisition

Oh, yeah that could make a huge difference. Also, lock-on targeting with clicking the stick (X360 controller at least) makes a huge difference for melee characters.

Finished the game today, really enjoyed it a lot, will probably roll another character sometime soon.  Last fight was a bit disappointing...the dragons are much harder fights than the boss.

Do I need to keep the valuables? I know in DA2 everything in that category was vendor trash to sell, but it looks like some of it is that monster research stuff you can turn in, etc. Ugh why is it not more clearly separated. ):

Do I need to keep the valuables? I know in DA2 everything in that category was vendor trash to sell, but it looks like some of it is that monster research stuff you can turn in, etc. Ugh why is it not more clearly separated. ):

Was looking this up myself the other day and apparently there are items that automatically go to the 'valuables' tab that are used in quests. Off the top of my head, the monster research items, spider ichor, and some types of precious rock. This wouldn't be such a big deal if the series didn't continue it's legacy of very limited inventory.  :tdown:

It's bizarre that research items get lumped into Valuables rather than given their own category. It meant I never used the theoretically convenient Sell All function as I didn't want to blindly hand everything over; it doesn't help that the research table is comparatively out of the way.

As to your question, I never came across anything other than the labelled researched items that were of use. I do know of one exception, though: the Sad Splinters you can loot from a Keep's broken door when you're storming it are needed to craft a novelty weapon.

Oh, as SgtWhistlebotom points out you need certain Valuables to fulfil Requisitions. To be honest I don't think they're worth doing in the first place, though: doing proper, non-repeatable quests will see you flush with far more Power than you can possibly use anyway.

Do any of the requisitions do anything besides gain power?  I remember one quest where I had to craft and wear an amulet to challenge the leader of some mercenary group, but other than that I'm not sure if the actual things you create will affect any quest outcomes.  I've basically stopped paying attention to those, particularly once the power merchant shows up in skyhold.

I generally sell everything in valuables that isn't labelled as a research item, but I may be doing it wrong.

Yeah I too get a bit confused by what I can sell of the valuables or not, I mean a lot of stuff sounded like gifts in Dragon Age Origins that you could give to companions, but now I am selling most stuff. Talking about inventory, I confess I dislike they tied extra inventory space to Inquisition Perks, since you got so few of them (unlikely power which you almost have too much but nothing to spend it). Another petty let down was waste a large amount of gold in a blue print for a armor only to find out it looked exactly the same my character already use.

On another new it appear people find a way to make mods to DAI - http://www.pcgamer.com/dragon-age-inquisition-mods-are-actually-a-thing/ - Now is just hope the modder jump in and the whole thing isn´t too hard, because I am curious on what they can pull off.

Occasionally there's quest turn ins at the requisition table, like for crafting the items to unlock specialization or upgrading skyhold, but that's really it

Talking about inventory, I confess I dislike they tied extra inventory space to Inquisition Perks, since you got so few of them (unlikely power which you almost have too much but nothing to spend it).

Yup. Especially when those points can be used to get really useful stuff like extra potion slots and more dialogue options.

basically because it is poorly implemented. but if it has a sell value of 0 or 1 it may be needed for research or, rarely, a quest, otherwise sell away.

Well glad I'm not the only one who finds it annoying. I'll keep all that in mind, thanks.

So, I finished this game. I wrote some thoughts on it in the "Recently Completed Games" thread, but I thought I'd copy it here in case anyone wanted to talk about the ending or the game as a whole.

I finished Dragon Age: Inquisition, and I ended up feeling pretty much like Griddlelol did. The main story was pretty dull, a lot of the quests felt uninspired, and yet I still liked it enough to finish it, so there's that. Mostly I stuck with it because of the character moments that happened around Skyhold, a few of which I'll talk about in a spoiler tag. More than anything, this game reminded me how much filler Bioware stuffs into their games inbetween the stuff I care about.

Some stuff was really fantastic. I loved any time I talked to the Iron Bull. I liked still having Varric around as my BFF. I thought the sidequest where you need to get Varric to write another entry in his cheesy romance serial for Cassandra was great. Also, the Wicked Grace game where Cullen lost his clothes was one of the best "hangout" moments of the game. Oh, and the Winter Palace section was a great idea, even if it ended up feeling a bit underdeveloped. The idea of sneaking around the palace alternating between combat and fishing for information was a really good one.

Then the game ended, and it turns out that Solas was secretly the most important character (which is too bad because I found him super boring and had pretty much ignored him the whole way through). It didn't make me feel like i needed to re-examine everything I knew about the game as wonder why game developers seem to think that their players will know so much about their lore to care about this kind of stuff without fully explaining it within the main text. Oh well.

Solas had his moments, if you take him to the winter palace he ends getting WAY too excited by the all sex/power/intrigue, like he's drunk on it.  But yea most other characters were more interesting.  Iron Bull was like a literal "SJW" in his bar conversations.  Vivienne was probably the least interesting to me, I didn't interact with her much.  I enjoyed a lot of the quests in the main line, but the last fight was pretty meh.  Feel like they could have done a little more with corypheus since his origin is what a lot of the series hinges on in reference to the blight and the chantry's story about it.  

A lot of orlesian men dress like they're cosplaying Katamari.

Solas had his moments, if you take him to the winter palace he ends getting WAY too excited by the all sex/power/intrigue, like he's drunk on it.  But yea most other characters were more interesting.  Iron Bull was like a literal "SJW" in his bar conversations.  Vivienne was probably the least interesting to me, I didn't interact with her much.  I enjoyed a lot of the quests in the main line, but the last fight was pretty meh.  Feel like they could have done a little more with corypheus since his origin is what a lot of the series hinges on in reference to the blight and the chantry's story about it.  

A lot of orlesian men dress like they're cosplaying Katamari.

That does sound pretty good. I know I probably missed a bunch of stuff because of this, but I made a choice about 30 hours in to pick a party and stick with them, which meant I pretty much ignored all the other characters. I decided to do that because I was just finding the task of managing all of these characters, talking to them, trying to make sure they didn't disapprove of what I was doing, getting them gear, etc. to be super overwhelming. I had been playing for so long, and I had only just made it to Skyhold. So, I know I missed a bunch of cool moments, and apparently some of them were super important, but that's the only way I ever could have finished the thing.

And yes! Thanks for helping me remember what those costumes looked like.

(PSA: spoiler contains ending discussion)

I was amazed at how quick the ending went, once you select the final mission. You just walk up to some ruins and fight the bad guy and then it's over. The way it happens also made your efforts to strengthen the Inquisition largely irrelevant.

"We can't send any of the army we've gathered!"

"Whatever, we can just walk straight up to the bad guy, it's cool."

When you're walking around Skyhold and objective is "Go to bed" I figured some shit was going to go down with one of your allies, considering how underdeveloped and generic Corypheus was. But nope, that was the real ending, here's a weird teaser for the next game or maybe the DLC.

There's some great moments along the way, but I left this game feeling really bummed out about the time I spent on it.

I love how the areas look, but that's all I love about the game. I'd much rather be interested in talking to the characters even if I was disappointed in many aspects like with DA2. In this game I'm mostly just disappointed and occasionally marvel at the sights.

Dove into multiplayer. It's not bad. Not great, but entertaining enough when I have time to kill. Reaver is god damn useless until you get really deep into their skill tree, and even then you spend too much time on the ground. Katari is a much better 2 hander class since they start with 2 options to build guard. Pretty much just charge around and hit stuff so he's actually pretty fun. Weirdly wish they had maybe looked at WoW or something for dungeon design. Each level more or less functions the same. 2 out of the 3 bosses destroy melee most of the time, with little you can really do strategy wise other than let ranged kill the boss. Really surprised they haven't done a dragon fight or something because those felt the most like a raid boss in the main game.

A few people brought up me3 mp in here...that didn't click for me much, I didn't think it was terrible but I just couldn't get into it at all. This is clicking with me a little more but still not something I'll stick with for a long time I imagine.

Oh and I forgot somehow, the party banter is cringe worthy.

I  succumbed and bought this last week... GMG's 30% off was a good deal, but coincidental as I decided to buy it anyway. So far I like it quite  a  bit, but don't love it. It is astonishingly pretty in places (my 970 runs everything on Ultra or Fade Touched at 60 fps), but it's buggy as hell. I've had at least one crash to desk top every day that I've played it, often 3 or 4. Plus I've had people and animals either hovering above the ground or sinking in.

I've done the first really big thing with an accompanying sing-song and my war table is covered in shit to do... it's a little bit  off-putting to be honest. Having played Origins multiple times, and enjoyed DAII I am invested in the dragon age setting (Thedas for short, seriously!) However, I do feel stifled by the more *ahem* streamlined gameplay; I spent agest trying to find a way to swap equipped weapons before finding out I couldn't anymore. I wasn't having much fun in combat, until I got a sort of infinite hookshot that lets me ping around the battlefield  and stab animals from afar f. I do sometimes use the tactical camera, and I rather like the slowmo control it gives you, but mostly just play like an action game.  The quests are OK, not outstanding or terrible in general so far... I might actually prefer DAII for its structure where everything is being "told" by Varric and some sequences where he bullshits what happened are great fun. Having said that there is a pay-off for that in DAI that I just got to and really appreciated.

I do enjoy the companions, talking to them and listening to banter between them. My character is  an incorrigible flirt but I'm not trying to romance anyone properly. I mix up my party quite fairly regularly, although I am ambivalent about one guy since they are interesting but too closely match my character's skillset.

Yea I enjoyed the combat more once I got some of the movement stuff like the backflip archer's get.  I didn't run into a lot of bugs other than once falling through the floor because the area hadn't fully loaded and finding a weird mad hatter rabbit sculpture with weird circusy music playing.  I played most of the game as an action game except for when I got into bad situations or taking down a lot of the harder dragons.

I had to quit DAI for the time being because the nVidia driver crashes were happening far too frequently. I'll wait until it's fixed and then maybe get back to it. Who knows. The game is not as good as its two predecessors (though is better than my initial impressions), but I still like the story/characters a lot. Who knows.

+1 for the combat getting better when you get deeper in, but it's pretty far in (like halfway).

Anyone else super hot and cold with this game? I have sessions where I feel like "wow this is the best game ever!" ...And other sessions that feel like I just did five loads of laundry and cleaned out the garage.

Yup that's me. I really enjoyed it when I played it, but looking back the whole thing felt like busy work. I don't think it's a very good game. But I played it a lot and had fun. I dunno, it's weird.

A common criticism, but I felt like the story was instantly forgettable. I honestly don't remember the ending, nor the motivations of the bad guy. ThE character was ok. Some were more of a miss than a hit (fucking Sera was annoying) and some felt like their side story was irrelevant. Iron Bull's felt anti climactic

I help him leave the spies he worked for but nothing changed as a result. He left...ok. He barely even cared. I was expecting it to be a big deal he was no longer part of the Qun, but he just kinda shrugged.